Advanced formatting for autofile

Ken Mankoff
Hi,

I'm trying to improve my auto-file setup. I was just editing the format string and BibDesk crashed. I can re-open it, but as soon as I bring up the Preferences dialog, it crashes again. I have restored the following two files from backups into ~/Library/Preferences but it still crashes if I try to open the Pref window: edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.LSSharedFileList.plist
edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist

Any advice how to get BibDesk working again? I can send the log if that would help.

Secondly, my motivation for editing the format script...

Currently I use(d) this format:

%a11/%a1/%a1_%Y_%T3%n0%e

Which files things here:

~/Documents/Papers/M/McCracken/McCracken_2004_BibDesk, a great application.pdf

I'd like to make a few improvements to this including:
  + Replace space with "_"
  + Remove comma

I can do the former with I think this updated string (I can't test it for the above reasons, but I played around with this last night):

%a11/%a1/%a1_%Y_%w{Title}[ ][/][_]3%n0%e

Which I recall generated something like this:

~/Documents/Papers/M/McCracken/McCracken_2004_BibDesk,_a_great.pdf

The issue here is the comma is still annoying for a filename, and the %T3 is more intelligent about the definition of 3 words, while %w{Title}3 is not as intelligent.

Is there a way to get "%T3" to drop commas? Is there or could there be a global option for "replace whitespace with underscore" the way there is a global option for "lowercase"?

Thanks for any help you can provide, especially on the first part - getting BibDesk working again.

  -k.

Re: Advanced formatting for autofile

Christiaan Hofman

On Sep 5, 2014, at 16:32, Ken Mankoff wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to improve my auto-file setup. I was just editing the format string and BibDesk crashed. I can re-open it, but as soon as I bring up the Preferences dialog, it crashes again. I have restored the following two files from backups into ~/Library/Preferences but it still crashes if I try to open the Pref window: edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.LSSharedFileList.plist
edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist

Any advice how to get BibDesk working again? I can send the log if that would help.

Unfortunately removing the pref file does not work on 10.9. You can reset the preferences to the default only using the command line and the command "defaults delete -app Bibdesk". Though that does not allow you to get your old preferences back.  Though perhaps you may ant to reset just a particular key if you know what causes the problem. Though I cannot say this from your post. What does the crash report say?

[...]

Sorry, that is not possible. Unfortunately we cannot fine tune to handle every single character, we only do that for some characters because they do create actual problems.

* On 2014-09-05 at 10:52, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
> Unfortunately removing the pref file does not work on 10.9. You can
> reset the preferences to the default only using the command line and
> the command "defaults delete -app Bibdesk". Though that does not allow
> you to get your old preferences back.  Though perhaps you may ant to
> reset just a particular key if you know what causes the
> problem. Though I cannot say this from your post. What does the crash
> report say?

I didn't know 10.9 changed pref file handling. I've solved the issue
with the help of this page: http://manytricks.com/blog/?p=3049

1. Quit BibDesk
2. Restore pref file from backup
3. defaults read edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist

That last command reloads the pref file in the system cache, so next
time BibDesk launches it is using the restored prefs, not the existing
bad cached version.

  -k.