Apostrophes and accents

Michael Green-2
Suppose O'Donovan is the author of a book in my bib file.

How do I get the second character to be an apostrophe (smart, curly,
right single quote) rather than a prime (dumb, straight, symbol for
inch)?

I can get the desired effect for O'Donovan by turning off BibDesk's
Unicode to Tex conversion option and entering the apostrophe myself.

But then I run into trouble with another author: Suárez (the third
character is an accented a).

When I started to add a custom conversion option, BibDesk warned me
that it already has a one way conversion for the apostrophe/right
single quote defined internally. So I thought I would ask first
before digging a hole.

Even if the answer does lie in that area, I'm unsure what to enter on
the right hand side. A prime? A bracketed prime {'}?

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Re: Apostrophes and accents

Adam R. Maxwell

On Aug 13, 2008, at 9:30 PM, Michael Green wrote:

> Suppose O'Donovan is the author of a book in my bib file.
>
> How do I get the second character to be an apostrophe (smart, curly,
> right single quote) rather than a prime (dumb, straight, symbol for
> inch)?
>
> I can get the desired effect for O'Donovan by turning off BibDesk's
> Unicode to Tex conversion option and entering the apostrophe myself.

What is your output path?  Using pdflatex/bibtex, I find that the
straight quote appears as a curly quote.  If you're using a template,
you'll likely need to use the Unicode character directly and disable
character conversion.  If you're using xelatex, you might need
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}.

> But then I run into trouble with another author: Suárez (the third
> character is an accented a).

That will fail with TeX if you disable character conversion without
setting up your TeX file to use the encoding you specified for the TeX
template in BibDesk's preferences.  Otherwise, the default conversion
should work fine, and convert this to {\'a}.

--
Adam

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Apostrophes and accents

Michael Green-2
Adam Maxwell wrote:

What is your output path? Using pdflatex/bibtex, I find that the straight quote appears as a curly quote

You're right.

The problem I was having came from a setting in ConTeXt. It only caused a problem for me in bibliographies. However, BibDesk and bibtex had nothing to do with it.

Thank you very much. Sorry for the noise. I should have been more thorough in my testing.

Michael