Autofiling based on Groups

Paulo Carreira
Hi everyone.

I have found that the filing method that works best for me is to arrange papers on disk by Subject. I have a top folder named "Papers" with sub-folders "Papers/Subject A", "Papers/Subject B", ...  and so on. I'm a new user to Bibdesk and I would like to use Autofiling to keep help me keep my papers on disk with this arrangement.

As I understand BibDesk's Static Groups are meant to organize papers by subject according my needs. I would suppose then that I could then use some from of the Autogeneration Format Syntax to expand the paper's static group for filing purposes. Indeed, there is a "Group" field but apparently has got some other use. I've tried using "%f{Group}/%f{Cite Key}%n0%e", which isn't working. BTW, I keep my pdfs renamed with the cite key (In my case 1st Author's last name + YY + keyword).

I have searched everywhere on Bibdesk's documentation and I found nothing pointing to this behavior which, IMHO, is a very common way of organizing a pdf library. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Could you please comment?
Warmest regards,
P.

Re: Autofiling based on Groups

Adam M. Goldstein-62
On Aug 12, 2011, at 7:29 PM, Paulo Carreira wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I have found that the filing method that works best for me is to arrange
> papers on disk by Subject. I have a top folder named "Papers" with
> sub-folders "Papers/Subject A", "Papers/Subject B", ...  and so on. I'm a
> new user to Bibdesk and I would like to use Autofiling to keep help me keep
> my papers on disk with this arrangement.

< snip >

> I have searched everywhere on Bibdesk's documentation and I found nothing
> pointing to this behavior which, IMHO, is a very common way of organizing a
> pdf library. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Sorry I can't help with your autogeneration syntax question.

I have no idea how I would organize my papers by subject, because so many of them fall under so many different subjects.

I used to have papers organized by author, but realizing that, as Mike McCracken wrote on this list a while back, "that way lies madness." His advice was to just put all the papers at the top level and "let BibDesk organize them for you." That's what I have started doing. it works well. I use groups of various kinds to organize papers by subjects, authors, or whatever other weird groupings my work requires.

So there's my $0.02.

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
http://www.shiftingbalance.org