Autogeneration Format Syntax, optional field printing

Autogeneration Format Syntax, optional field printing

Jan Jakob Bornheim
Hello,

to anybody with some experience tinkering with the Autogeneration Format Syntax:

Is there a way to make an item optional?

To elaborate:

I want to sort my PDFs in subfolders based on first Author/Editor last name. This part is easy enough. I set the format to "./%p1/%f{Cite Key}%u0%e”.

However some of my publications, namely court cases, don’t have an author or editor. They do have a defined “court” field, which in turn no other publication has.

If I just set the auto file format to "./%p1%f{Court}/%f{Cite Key}%u0%e”, I will get an error every time I try to do an auto file. I guess I could ignore these, but then I would be unable to distinguish between actual errors in filing and these expected errors.

So basically I would want the "%p1” part to only get printed if either author or editor are defined, and make the printing of the court field dependent on the court field having a value. I would have thought that is what the "%s{Field}[][][]0” arbitrary field switch is for, so I tried something like “%s{Author}[%p1][][]”. Indeed the value in the first square bracket gets printed if the author field has a value, but it does not get expanded. It literally prints “%p1”.

Cheers,

Jan Jakob

Re: Autogeneration Format Syntax, optional field printing

Christiaan Hofman

On Nov 24, 2014, at 23:16, Jan Jakob Bornheim wrote:

[...]

Sorry, that's not possible.