Quantcast

Backslashes (before ampersand)

Jan David Hauck
Hello,

I'm stuck with a problem, which might simply be one of running at the limits of wanting it both ways, using BibDesk for both, (La)TeX and non-TeX environments.  In particular Publishers but also some Booktitles have ampersands, which for TeX have to be escaped with backslashes.  However when using custom BibDesk Templates (nonTeX) for copying citations I was unable to find a way to remove them stringByRemovingTeX doesn't get rid of backslashes neither does the deTeXifying.

Is there a way to either:
get rid of the backslash in the template
or
a BibLaTeX command that would escape the ampersands before it tries to compile?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Jan

PS:  For the developers, what about a stringByRemovingBackslash function?

Re: Backslashes (before ampersand)

Christiaan Hofman

On Oct 19, 2015, at 9:21, Jan David Hauck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I'm stuck with a problem, which might simply be one of running at the limits of wanting it both ways, using BibDesk for both, (La)TeX and non-TeX environments.  In particular Publishers but also some Booktitles have ampersands, which for TeX have to be escaped with backslashes.  However when using custom BibDesk Templates (nonTeX) for copying citations I was unable to find a way to remove them stringByRemovingTeX doesn't get rid of backslashes neither does the deTeXifying.

Is there a way to either:
get rid of the backslash in the template
or
a BibLaTeX command that would escape the ampersands before it tries to compile?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Jan

PS:  For the developers, what about a stringByRemovingBackslash function?

Sorry, that’s not possible. And we cannot add yet another string method to clean up the string, we could do that for just everything that may occur in TeX, and that’s a lot, we could keep adding methods.

On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:15, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I guess though it makes sense to remove the backslash in stringByRemovingTeX, so we’ll do that in the future.

Re: Backslashes (before ampersand)

Jan David Hauck
Hi Christiaan,

Coming back to what you wrote a few months ago, that you'd consider adding a remove backslash before ampersand to stringByRemovingTeX;
In the current build it actually removes the ampersand not the backslash, so that \& turns into \ in the template.  Maybe something went wrong there?

Thanks,

Jan

On Dec 8, 2015, at 21:24, Jan David Hauck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Christiaan,

Coming back to what you wrote a few months ago, that you'd consider adding a remove backslash before ampersand to stringByRemovingTeX;
In the current build it actually removes the ampersand not the backslash, so that \& turns into \ in the template.  Maybe something went wrong there?

Thanks,

Jan

Sorry for that. This is fixed in tomorrow;s nightly.

Christiaan