BibDesk (or BibTeX) cannot find new entries into database

BibDesk (or BibTeX) cannot find new entries into database

Barry M. Lesht
Hello.  I'm using BibDesk (v1.6.4 - a very recent update to a long-existing installation) along with TexShop (v3.52) on a Mac Powerbook Pro under OS X10.8.5.  I have been working on a document for several weeks and using the same bib file for several years.  This morning, I entered a new reference into the database.  This is the first use I've made of BibDesk since the update to 1.6.4.  I added a citation to the new reference in the document and compiled it.  For some reason BibTeX cannot find the new reference.  I get the message:

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99d (TeX Live 2014)
The top-level auxiliary file: RevisedVerifcationNoteV3a.aux
The style file: model2-names.bst
Database file #1: ./GLReferences.bib
Warning--I didn't find a database entry for "AuguEtAl:2014"
(There was 1 warning)

I tried re-entering the new reference into the database, and get the same warning (and changing the cite key).  I next tried substituting an existing reference from the database into the document (citing it instead - and being sure that reference was not cited anywhere else in the document) and it worked fine; the citation appears properly in the document.  I then tried entering a dummy reference into the database and citing it in the document.   This failed with the same warning.

In summary, it appears that:  If I refer to a reference that was in the database before I updated BibDesk, I have no problem.  If I refer to a reference that I added after the update, BibTex can't find it.

I have no idea what is going on and would appreciate any suggestions or insight.

Thanks.

Re: BibDesk (or BibTeX) cannot find new entries into database

Ken Mankoff
Make sure the .bib file referenced from TeX is the same one bibdesk is saving?

  -k.

Please excuse brevity. Sent from pocket computer with tiny non-haptic feedback keyboard.

> On Jul 28, 2015, at 18:43, Barry M. Lesht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello.  I'm using BibDesk (v1.6.4 - a very recent update to a long-existing installation) along with TexShop (v3.52) on a Mac Powerbook Pro under OS X10.8.5.  I have been working on a document for several weeks and using the same bib file for several years.  This morning, I entered a new reference into the database.  This is the first use I've made of BibDesk since the update to 1.6.4.  I added a citation to the new reference in the document and compiled it.  For some reason BibTeX cannot find the new reference.  I get the message:
>
> This is BibTeX, Version 0.99d (TeX Live 2014)
> The top-level auxiliary file: RevisedVerifcationNoteV3a.aux
> The style file: model2-names.bst
> Database file #1: ./GLReferences.bib
> Warning--I didn't find a database entry for "AuguEtAl:2014"
> (There was 1 warning)
>
> I tried re-entering the new reference into the database, and get the same warning (and changing the cite key).  I next tried substituting an existing reference from the database into the document (citing it instead - and being sure that reference was not cited anywhere else in the document) and it worked fine; the citation appears properly in the document.  I then tried entering a dummy reference into the database and citing it in the document.   This failed with the same warning.
>
> In summary, it appears that:  If I refer to a reference that was in the database before I updated BibDesk, I have no problem.  If I refer to a reference that I added after the update, BibTex can't find it.
>
> I have no idea what is going on and would appreciate any suggestions or insight.
>
> Thanks.

Re: BibDesk (or BibTeX) cannot find new entries into database

Justin C. Walker

On Jul 28, 2015, at 15:43 , Barry M. Lesht wrote:

> Hello.  I'm using BibDesk (v1.6.4 - a very recent update to a long-existing
> installation) along with TexShop (v3.52) on a Mac Powerbook Pro under OS
> X10.8.5.  I have been working on a document for several weeks and using the
> same bib file for several years.  This morning, I entered a new reference
> into the database.  This is the first use I've made of BibDesk since the
> update to 1.6.4.  I added a citation to the new reference in the document
> and compiled it.  For some reason BibTeX cannot find the new reference.  I
> get the message:
>
> This is BibTeX, Version 0.99d (TeX Live 2014)
> The top-level auxiliary file: RevisedVerifcationNoteV3a.aux
> The style file: model2-names.bst
> Database file #1: ./GLReferences.bib
> Warning--I didn't find a database entry for "AuguEtAl:2014"
> (There was 1 warning)

Perhaps a silly question, but it's happened to me: did you save the .bib file after adding the reference?

HTH

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
-----------

Re: BibDesk (or BibTeX) cannot find new entries into database

Barry M. Lesht
Thanks, Ken.  That was exactly the problem.  I posted a follow-up after I discovered that I had messed up.  I appreciate the reply.   Barry

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:13 PM, Ken Mankoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
Make sure the .bib file referenced from TeX is the same one bibdesk is saving?

  -k.

Please excuse brevity. Sent from pocket computer with tiny non-haptic feedback keyboard.

> On Jul 28, 2015, at 18:43, Barry M. Lesht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello.  I'm using BibDesk (v1.6.4 - a very recent update to a long-existing installation) along with TexShop (v3.52) on a Mac Powerbook Pro under OS X10.8.5.  I have been working on a document for several weeks and using the same bib file for several years.  This morning, I entered a new reference into the database.  This is the first use I've made of BibDesk since the update to 1.6.4.  I added a citation to the new reference in the document and compiled it.  For some reason BibTeX cannot find the new reference.  I get the message:
>
> This is BibTeX, Version 0.99d (TeX Live 2014)
> The top-level auxiliary file: RevisedVerifcationNoteV3a.aux
> The style file: model2-names.bst
> Database file #1: ./GLReferences.bib
> Warning--I didn't find a database entry for "AuguEtAl:2014"
> (There was 1 warning)
>
> I tried re-entering the new reference into the database, and get the same warning (and changing the cite key).  I next tried substituting an existing reference from the database into the document (citing it instead - and being sure that reference was not cited anywhere else in the document) and it worked fine; the citation appears properly in the document.  I then tried entering a dummy reference into the database and citing it in the document.   This failed with the same warning.
>
> In summary, it appears that:  If I refer to a reference that was in the database before I updated BibDesk, I have no problem.  If I refer to a reference that I added after the update, BibTex can't find it.
>
> I have no idea what is going on and would appreciate any suggestions or insight.
>
> Thanks.

Re: BibDesk (or BibTeX) cannot find new entries into database

Barry M. Lesht
Hi Justin - thanks, yes I did save the .bib file.  It turns out that I had two .bib files with the same name in different directories and had referenced the wrong one in the document.   I posted an update explaining my error.   I appreciate your reply.

Barry