BibDesk removes DOI fields

Ken Mankoff
I find BibDesk removing DOI fields. This isn't a nice feature.

If I have an entry with DOI and nothing attached, when I "Get Info" on it, the DOI field comes up empty and instead there is an attached file (the Bdsk-Url-1 field) and the DOI is there as a URL.

Is there a way to have BibDesk *not* delete this important field?

  -k.

Re: BibDesk removes DOI fields

Christiaan Hofman

On Jan 28, 2016, at 1:35, Ken Mankoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

I find BibDesk removing DOI fields. This isn't a nice feature.

If I have an entry with DOI and nothing attached, when I "Get Info" on it, the DOI field comes up empty and instead there is an attached file (the Bdsk-Url-1 field) and the DOI is there as a URL.

Is there a way to have BibDesk *not* delete this important field?

 -k.

Go to the Field preferences, and remove the Doi field from the Custom BibTeX Fields table (or set its type to Textual).

On 2016-01-28 at 05:24, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 2016, at 1:35, Ken Mankoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If I have an entry with DOI and nothing attached, when I "Get Info"
>> on it, the DOI field comes up empty and instead there is an attached
>> file (the Bdsk-Url-1 field) and the DOI is there as a URL.
>>

> Go to the Field preferences, and remove the Doi field from the Custom
> BibTeX Fields table (or set its type to Textual).

Each of those have their own negative side-effects. Having it as a Remote-URL means it is has a small click-able icon visible in the main view panel and in the Info Panel.

I think I've solved it by unchecking the "[ ] Remove converted Remote URL fields" option.

On 2016-01-28 at 05:24, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jan 28, 2016, at 1:35, Ken Mankoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

If I have an entry with DOI and nothing attached, when I "Get Info"
on it, the DOI field comes up empty and instead there is an attached
file (the Bdsk-Url-1 field) and the DOI is there as a URL.

Go to the Field preferences, and remove the Doi field from the Custom
BibTeX Fields table (or set its type to Textual).

Each of those have their own negative side-effects. Having it as a Remote-URL means it is has a small click-able icon visible in the main view panel and in the Info Panel.

I think I've solved it by unchecking the "[ ] Remove converted Remote URL fields" option.

 -k.

Yes, that may be preferable. Though it should be the default to be unchecked. So that means the OP has at some time chosen himself to remove these fields.

Re: BibDesk removes DOI fields

Di Xiao
Christiaan,

For a fresh installed Bibdesk, that option is checked by default.

Di

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Re: BibDesk removes DOI fields

Di Xiao
Hi Christiaan,

I meant on a freshly installed OS X, by default the "Automatically convert File and URL fields" box is checked.  I happen to have another machine that just had El Capitan installed (after erasing the hard drive), and found the same behavior.  I'm using one of the nightly builds.

Di

On Feb 6, 2016, at 21:21, Di Xiao <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Christiaan,

I meant on a freshly installed OS X, by default the "Automatically convert File and URL fields" box is checked.  I happen to have another machine that just had El Capitan installed (after erasing the hard drive), and found the same behavior.  I'm using one of the nightly builds.

Di

That’s correct, but we were talking about the “Remove converted URL fields” preference, which is not checked by default.

Christiaan

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Feb 6, 2016, at 21:21, Di Xiao <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Christiaan,

I meant on a freshly installed OS X, by default the "Automatically convert File and URL fields" box is checked.  I happen to have another machine that just had El Capitan installed (after erasing the hard drive), and found the same behavior.  I'm using one of the nightly builds.

Di

That’s correct, but we were talking about the “Remove converted URL fields” preference, which is not checked by default.

Christiaan

Oh... That's right.  My bad...