BibDesk speed

Ken Mankoff
Hi List,

My BibDesk seems slow. There doesn't seem to be much mention of
this on the mailing list, except one mention that having Date
fields displayed could slow it down. That doesn't seem to be the
issue.

It takes ~4 seconds for operations that touches the .bib file.
This includes New Publication (CMD+N), Delete item (Backspace), or
Save (CMD+S).

The following is fast: It takes ~1 second to search, and less than
that to sort, even on date columns. I've tried disabling most
columns, with no change in speed.

I'm running the latest nightly, and have 2600 entries in my Bib
file, which is 4.8 MB and saved with Unicode UTF-8 format. I have
no Abstracts in the Bib file to keep it smaller.

My computer is a bit old - 2009 MacBook Pro, but it has an SSD and
8 GB of RAM, and every other app is responsive.

Do any of you have similar response times? If so, what size file,
how many entries, and what hardware?

Thanks,

  -k.

Re: BibDesk speed

Christiaan Hofman

On Mar 1, 2015, at 22:48, Ken Mankoff wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you have a large number of smart or field groups? There can be a lot of reasons for slowdowns, so there is not much I can say about this based on this information. You could sample BibDesk using Activity Monitor just after you did something that is slow for you.

Re: BibDesk speed

Ken Mankoff

On 2015-03-01 at 17:15, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2015, at 22:48, Ken Mankoff wrote:
>> It takes ~4 seconds for operations that touches the .bib file.
>> This includes New Publication (CMD+N), Delete item (Backspace),
>> or Save (CMD+S).
>
> Perhaps you have a large number of smart or field groups? There
> can be a lot of reasons for slowdowns, so there is not much I
> can say about this based on this information. You could sample
> BibDesk using Activity Monitor just after you did something that
> is slow for you.

I didn't think of the sidebar. I appears that the "Group Fields"
was slowing it down. Static and Smart groups remain and now
adding/deleting takes <1 second.

Thanks,

  -k.