Quantcast

Bibdesk crashes / FVWebIconMaximumNumberOfWebViews not available?

Bibdesk crashes / FVWebIconMaximumNumberOfWebViews not available?

Leonard Burtscher
Dear Christiaan, all,

> What do the crash reports in Console.app say? Do they refer to webkit in the trace for the crash thread? Do you have (many) linked remote URLs?
>
> Perhaps the following will help. Type the following line in Terminal.app (when BibDesk is not running):
>
> defaults write -app BibDesk FVWebIconMaximumNumberOfWebViews -int 0

I just wanted to report that this fix also solved the crashes for me (Bibdesk 1.6.5, Mac OS X 10.11.4). However, the defaults command did not work, perhaps because the FVWeb... key did not exist in ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist

I added it manually to the preference file and that changed the behaviour in the expected way (no longer showing previews) which seems to have been the cause for the crashes.

Thanks!
Leonard

Re: Bibdesk crashes / FVWebIconMaximumNumberOfWebViews not available?

Christiaan Hofman

On Apr 14, 2016, at 10:14, Leonard Burtscher <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Christiaan, all,

What do the crash reports in Console.app say? Do they refer to webkit in the trace for the crash thread? Do you have (many) linked remote URLs?

Perhaps the following will help. Type the following line in Terminal.app (when BibDesk is not running):

defaults write -app BibDesk FVWebIconMaximumNumberOfWebViews -int 0

I just wanted to report that this fix also solved the crashes for me (Bibdesk 1.6.5, Mac OS X 10.11.4). However, the defaults command did not work, perhaps because the FVWeb... key did not exist in ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist

I added it manually to the preference file and that changed the behaviour in the expected way (no longer showing previews) which seems to have been the cause for the crashes.

Thanks!
Leonard

If the defaults command did not work it’s not because the key did not exist, “defaults write” adds the key if necessary. The error message you get would explain what wen wrong. Probably it could not find the BibDesk app (perhaps it was not in /Applications). Then using the identifier “edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk” instead of “-app BibDesk” will work.

BTW, I am trying to fix this issue for the next release.  When this will work, you may want to remove the preference key again using “defaults delete". Some partial fix may be in the latest nightlies, though I’m not convinced it really fixes the actual crasher, which I believe is a WebKit bug. So keep an eye on the release notes in the next release.

Re: Bibdesk crashes / FVWebIconMaximumNumberOfWebViews not available?

Leonard Burtscher
Hi Christiaan,

Thanks for your quick response.

> Am 14.04.2016 um 11:33 schrieb Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]>:
>

>> On Apr 14, 2016, at 10:14, Leonard Burtscher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Christiaan, all,
>>
>>> What do the crash reports in Console.app say? Do they refer to webkit in the trace for the crash thread? Do you have (many) linked remote URLs?
>>>
>>> Perhaps the following will help. Type the following line in Terminal.app (when BibDesk is not running):
>>>
>>> defaults write -app BibDesk FVWebIconMaximumNumberOfWebViews -int 0
>>

>> I just wanted to report that this fix also solved the crashes for me (Bibdesk 1.6.5, Mac OS X 10.11.4). However, the defaults command did not work, perhaps because the FVWeb... key did not exist in ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist
>>
>> I added it manually to the preference file and that changed the behaviour in the expected way (no longer showing previews) which seems to have been the cause for the crashes.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Leonard
>
> If the defaults command did not work it’s not because the key did not exist, “defaults write” adds the key if necessary. The error message you get would explain what wen wrong. Probably it could not find the BibDesk app (perhaps it was not in /Applications). Then using the identifier “edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk” instead of “-app BibDesk” will work.

Indeed that was the error message I got first. After moving the App from /Applications/TeX to /Applications, the error message disappeared, but nothing had changed in the prefs. Anyway, now it works.

> BTW, I am trying to fix this issue for the next release.  When this will work, you may want to remove the preference key again using “defaults delete". Some partial fix may be in the latest nightlies, though I’m not convinced it really fixes the actual crasher, which I believe is a WebKit bug. So keep an eye on the release notes in the next release.

Thanks for the pre-warning. I'll be happy to try out the next release.

Cheers,
Leonard

Re: Bibdesk crashes / FVWebIconMaximumNumberOfWebViews not available?

Adam Maxwell

On Apr 14, 2016, at 02:33 , Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

BTW, I am trying to fix this issue for the next release.  When this will work, you may want to remove the preference key again using “defaults delete". Some partial fix may be in the latest nightlies, though I’m not convinced it really fixes the actual crasher, which I believe is a WebKit bug. So keep an eye on the release notes in the next release.

I'm no longer convinced that it's a webkit overrelease, after relearning Instruments and looking at the refcounts for the zombie FVWebIcon. Something very weird is going on.