Quantcast

Character encoding for external file groups: How do I set it?

Character encoding for external file groups: How do I set it?

Mathias Hofmann
How can I set the character encoding for an external file group?

In Bibdesk (version 1.3.18), I used the "external file group" feature
to "subcribe" to a URL (http://www.bibsonomy.org/bib/group/inain).
This is a generated bibtex-file from a (collaborative) bibliography
database. My browser reports it to be UTF-encoded. Saving it and
manually importing it into Bibdesk (which is set to open/export using
UTF8 encoding) works fine.

However, the entries of the external file group's items appear to have
a wrong encoding. It looks as if Bibdesk would take the data to be
encoded as Windows Latin 1.

Weird. Any thoughts?

Re: Character encoding for external file groups: How do I set it?

Christiaan Hofman
BibDesk tries various encodings for external file groups, though not
the one from your preferences. It tries UTF-8 before Windows Latin 1,
so if it's UTF-8 it should use that. If it doesn't, there should be
some characters that are not UTF-8, or the download messes thing up.

Christiaan

On 20 Sep 2008, at 3:12 PM, Mathias Hofmann wrote:

> How can I set the character encoding for an external file group?
>
> In Bibdesk (version 1.3.18), I used the "external file group" feature
> to "subcribe" to a URL (http://www.bibsonomy.org/bib/group/inain).
> This is a generated bibtex-file from a (collaborative) bibliography
> database. My browser reports it to be UTF-encoded. Saving it and
> manually importing it into Bibdesk (which is set to open/export using
> UTF8 encoding) works fine.
>
> However, the entries of the external file group's items appear to have
> a wrong encoding. It looks as if Bibdesk would take the data to be
> encoded as Windows Latin 1.
>
> Weird. Any thoughts?

Re: Character encoding for external file groups: How do I set it?

Adam R. Maxwell

On Sep 20, 2008, at 8:16 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> BibDesk tries various encodings for external file groups, though not
> the one from your preferences. It tries UTF-8 before Windows Latin 1,
> so if it's UTF-8 it should use that. If it doesn't, there should be
> some characters that are not UTF-8, or the download messes thing up.

It's probably using ASCII, actually, unless the patch I posted to

http://www.mail-archive.com/bibdesk-users@.../msg03064.html

was applied to the trunk.  I think I tested it with a number of cases,
but James never posted back saying whether it worked, and I forgot
about it.  In my repo, it looks like I added that code, then changed
the calls to it to pass 0 instead of NSASCIIStringEncoding.

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Character encoding for external file groups: How do I set it?

Adam R. Maxwell
(apologies if this shows up twice; I'm trying a different smtp server
since my last couple messages never showed up)

On 20 Sep 2008, at 5:44 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> (apologies if this shows up twice; I'm trying a different smtp
> server since my last couple messages never showed up)
>
> On Sep 20, 2008, at 8:16 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>
>> BibDesk tries various encodings for external file groups, though not
>> the one from your preferences. It tries UTF-8 before Windows Latin 1,
>> so if it's UTF-8 it should use that. If it doesn't, there should be
>> some characters that are not UTF-8, or the download messes thing up.
>
> It's probably using ASCII, actually, unless the patch I posted to

Shouldn't ASCII not just fail if there are non-ASCII characters?

> http://www.mail-archive.com/bibdesk-users@.../msg03064.html
>
> was applied to the trunk.  I think I tested it with a number of
> cases, but James never posted back saying whether it worked, and I
> forgot about it.  In my repo, it looks like I added that code, then
> changed the calls to it to pass 0 instead of NSASCIIStringEncoding.

That's not applied ATM.

On Sep 20, 2008, at 9:25 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> On 20 Sep 2008, at 5:44 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>
>> (apologies if this shows up twice; I'm trying a different smtp
>> server since my last couple messages never showed up)
>>
>> On Sep 20, 2008, at 8:16 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>>
>>> BibDesk tries various encodings for external file groups, though not
>>> the one from your preferences. It tries UTF-8 before Windows Latin
>>> 1,
>>> so if it's UTF-8 it should use that. If it doesn't, there should be
>>> some characters that are not UTF-8, or the download messes thing up.
>>
>> It's probably using ASCII, actually, unless the patch I posted to
>>

> Shouldn't ASCII not just fail if there are non-ASCII characters?
That was my original belief (and the intent of the code), but it
appears to succeed.  That may be a change in NSString since 10.4, but
I'm not sure.

>> http://www.mail-archive.com/bibdesk-users@.../msg03064.html
>>
>> was applied to the trunk.  I think I tested it with a number of
>> cases, but James never posted back saying whether it worked, and I
>> forgot about it.  In my repo, it looks like I added that code, then
>> changed the calls to it to pass 0 instead of NSASCIIStringEncoding.
>>

> That's not applied ATM.

I checked it in now.  I think it's an improved heuristic.

On 20 Sep 2008, at 6:37 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2008, at 9:25 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>

>> On 20 Sep 2008, at 5:44 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>>
>>> (apologies if this shows up twice; I'm trying a different smtp
>>> server since my last couple messages never showed up)

>>> It's probably using ASCII, actually, unless the patch I posted to
>>>

>> Shouldn't ASCII not just fail if there are non-ASCII characters?
>
> That was my original belief (and the intent of the code), but it
> appears to succeed.  That may be a change in NSString since 10.4,
> but I'm not sure.

Isn't that a bug in NSString? The docs say it returns nil if the
encoding is wrong.

Christiaan

>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/bibdesk-users@.../msg03064.html
>>>
>>> was applied to the trunk.  I think I tested it with a number of
>>> cases, but James never posted back saying whether it worked, and I
>>> forgot about it.  In my repo, it looks like I added that code, then
>>> changed the calls to it to pass 0 instead of NSASCIIStringEncoding.
>>>

>> That's not applied ATM.
>
> I checked it in now.  I think it's an improved heuristic.
>

>> Christiaan

Re: Character encoding for external file groups: How do I set it?

Mathias Hofmann
I finally got around to checking out a recent nightly.
Now everything works fine. -- Thanks.