Complex formatting directives in HTML preview

Complex formatting directives in HTML preview

Jan Jakob Bornheim
Hello,

I am fairly certain what I am seeing is the function of some underlying OS X framework, but it doesn’t hurt to ask, so here I go:

I noticed that BibDesk will ignore some of the more advanced styling options of my HTML template (most properties referring to div containers such as padding, borders, margins). Thus, the HTML is displayed differently depending on whether it is displayed as a preview within BibDesk (Screenshot 1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/366500/Screen%20Shot%202014-08-18%20at%2019.48.37.png) or, using the same template, exported as a stand-alone HTML file and opened in a dedicated browser (Screenshot 2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/366500/Screen%20Shot%202014-08-18%20at%2019.47.27.png).

Is there any trick to get BibDesk to have the preview look like the standalone HTML or am I correct in assuming that is an OS X problem?

Cheers,

Jan Jakob

Re: Complex formatting directives in HTML preview

Christiaan Hofman

On Aug 18, 2014, at 21:52, Jan Jakob Bornheim wrote:

[...]

The problem is that formatted templates are always rendered as rich text. So we are limited to how HTML (or some other underlying format) is converted to RTF by the system, as well as that RTF is not nearly as versatile as HTML (plus style info). IIt's not really an OS X problem per se, it is more of a limitation of the templating procedure.

Re: Complex formatting directives in HTML preview

Maxwell, Adam R-2

On Aug 18, 2014, at 12:52, Jan Jakob Bornheim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any trick to get BibDesk to have the preview look like the standalone HTML or am I correct in assuming that is an OS X problem?

Christiaan already answered, but if you open that HTML file in TextEdit, how does it look? That's more comparable to the view BibDesk uses, IIRC (which predates Safari and WebView).

-- adam