Connection to linked files lost.

Zvi Biener
Dear BiBDeskers,

Perhaps someone could help me.
1. I had to restore my entire directory of auto-filed documents from
backup. (What I say below below applies both to restoring from
TimeMachine and from Box.com backups).
2. After I did this, I lost all the links between items in the .bib
library and the linked files. The library now shows red-colored clip
icons, and the message "x-fileview://localhost/missing" where the
document preview used to be.
3. The files are exactly in the same path they used to be, although all
the folders in this path are technically "new" - they have been
recreated by the backup.

Is there any way to restore the file links? [I'm talking hundreds of
files, so not something I want to do manually].

Many Thanks,
Zvi

Re: Connection to linked files lost.

Christiaan Hofman

On Mar 16, 2015, at 21:33, Zvi Biener wrote:

Dear BiBDeskers,

Perhaps someone could help me.
1. I had to restore my entire directory of auto-filed documents from
backup. (What I say below below applies both to restoring from
TimeMachine and from Box.com backups).
2. After I did this, I lost all the links between items in the .bib
library and the linked files. The library now shows red-colored clip
icons, and the message "<a href="x-fileview://localhost/missing">x-fileview://localhost/missing" where the
document preview used to be.
3. The files are exactly in the same path they used to be, although all
the folders in this path are technically "new" - they have been
recreated by the backup.

Is there any way to restore the file links? [I'm talking hundreds of
files, so not something I want to do manually].

Many Thanks,
Zvi

Did you also restore the .bib data from the time that the links were working? When you save the .bib data the links are changed according to what it knows at that time, so that can also get corrupted. Also it is important that the relative paths from the .bib file to the linked files is the same. Preferably also the absolute path should be the same. If you do all that, the links should work. If they don't, you must have modified the .bib file.

Re: Connection to linked files lost.

Zvi Biener
Hi Folks,
After mucking around for a bit, I found a slightly older backup of my
.bib file. Oddly, this one gets the links to the restored file
depository just fine (I'm glad I opened it -- I really didn't think this
would make a difference). SO, crisis averted. But I don't really
understand how this could happen. The older file is just a backup of the
newer, but the older picks up the new file links while the newer does
not. If anyone has ideas, I'd love to know.

Thanks again,
Zvi

On 16 Mar 2015, at 16:33, Zvi Biener wrote:

> Dear BiBDeskers,
>
> Perhaps someone could help me.
> 1. I had to restore my entire directory of auto-filed documents from
> backup. (What I say below below applies both to restoring from
> TimeMachine and from Box.com backups).
> 2. After I did this, I lost all the links between items in the .bib
> library and the linked files. The library now shows red-colored clip
> icons, and the message "x-fileview://localhost/missing" where the
> document preview used to be.
> 3. The files are exactly in the same path they used to be, although
> all the folders in this path are technically "new" - they have been
> recreated by the backup.
>
> Is there any way to restore the file links? [I'm talking hundreds of
> files, so not something I want to do manually].
>
> Many Thanks,
> Zvi

Re: Connection to linked files lost.

Zvi Biener
Ahh, thanks Christian. I just send an email with a question you just
answered! I understand now. Thanks!

Zvi