Crash upon opening preference screen

Phil Hario
Hi,

I was fiddling with the autogenerate key for the autofile in the preferences pane. All of a sudden, Bibdesk crashed. Now, when I start up Bibdesk and open the preferences pane, it boots me out with another crash.

Presumably, I have to manually correct the bad cite key I used, but I can't seem to find the right file (tried home/Library/Application Support/Bibdesk but no luck).

I'd like to try and keep the other preferences rather than doing a manual re-install.

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Crash upon opening preference screen

Christiaan Hofman

On Dec 1, 2014, at 12:34, Phil Hario wrote:

Hi,

I was fiddling with the autogenerate key for the autofile in the preferences pane. All of a sudden, Bibdesk crashed. Now, when I start up Bibdesk and open the preferences pane, it boots me out with another crash.

Presumably, I have to manually correct the bad cite key I used, but I can't seem to find the right file (tried home/Library/Application Support/Bibdesk but no luck).

I'd like to try and keep the other preferences rather than doing a manual re-install.

Thanks,
Phil

Why does it crash? What's in the crash report? You can find it in Console.app.

Removing a file does not fix the preferences, and neither does a re-install. If the problem is in a bad preference, you can reset the preference only from the command line. Try to type the following lines in Terminal.app to reset the autofile preferences:

defaults delete -app BibDesk BDSKLocalFileFormatKey
defaults delete -app BibDesk BDSKLocalFileFormatPresetKey

Re: Crash upon opening preference screen

Phil Hario
Replying to:

> From: Christiaan Hofman <cmhofman@gm...> - 2014-12-01 11:47:18

> Why does it crash? What's in the crash report? You can find it in Console.app.

I uploaded the bug report here:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/f0c4aa17d6cd6182b87a

in case you wanted to have a look

> Removing a file does not fix the preferences, and neither does a re-install. If the problem is in a bad preference, you can reset the preference only from the command line. Try to type the following lines in Terminal.app to reset the autofile preferences:

> defaults delete -app BibDesk BDSKLocalFileFormatKey
> defaults delete -app BibDesk BDSKLocalFileFormatPresetKey

That did the trick to reset the autofile preferences. Note on OSX,
note for my installation I had to do:

defaults delete -app /Applications/TeX/BibDesk.app BDSKLocalFileFormatKey
defaults delete -app /Applications/TeX/BibDesk.app BDSKLocalFileFormatPresetKey

Re: Crash upon opening preference screen

Christiaan Hofman

Replying to:

From: Christiaan Hofman <cmhofman@gm...> - 2014-12-01 11:47:18

Why does it crash? What's in the crash report? You can find it in Console.app.

I uploaded the bug report here:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/f0c4aa17d6cd6182b87a

in case you wanted to have a look

Removing a file does not fix the preferences, and neither does a re-install. If the problem is in a bad preference, you can reset the preference only from the command line. Try to type the following lines in Terminal.app to reset the autofile preferences:

defaults delete -app BibDesk BDSKLocalFileFormatKey
defaults delete -app BibDesk BDSKLocalFileFormatPresetKey

That did the trick to reset the autofile preferences. Note on OSX,
note for my installation I had to do:

defaults delete -app /Applications/TeX/BibDesk.app BDSKLocalFileFormatKey
defaults delete -app /Applications/TeX/BibDesk.app BDSKLocalFileFormatPresetKey

Thanks, I'll fix the crasher. Did you try the %w specifier?

Re: Crash upon opening preference screen

Phil Hario
On 1 December 2014 at 15:21,
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, I'll fix the crasher. Did you try the %w specifier?
>
> Christiaan

Christian,

Yes, I was. Was there a problem with it? I was working on the %w field
while it crashed.

I've been having trouble getting the %w field working:

%w{Title}[_][ ][ ]2%u0%e

this is in order to get the Title field with 2 words and replacing
spaces with dashes. However, the three middle square-bracketed entries
don't seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

Phil

Re: Crash upon opening preference screen

Christiaan Hofman

On Dec 2, 2014, at 2:30, Phil Hario wrote:

On 1 December 2014 at 15:21,
<[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, I'll fix the crasher. Did you try the %w specifier?

Christiaan

Christian,

Yes, I was. Was there a problem with it? I was working on the %w field
while it crashed.

I've been having trouble getting the %w field working:

%w{Title}[_][ ][ ]2%u0%e

this is in order to get the Title field with 2 words and replacing
spaces with dashes. However, the three middle square-bracketed entries
don't seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

Phil

There was a crasher in the handling of the %w specifier. This happens when the optional arguments are missing. This should be fixed in the latest nightly build <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pkt955ttu8vbsdi/E21z4ghXRy/BibDesk>.

The optional arguments are working for me, but you may be misunderstanding them. I think you mixed up the first and the third optional arguments. The first one is what is interpreted as characters separating words, the third is their replacement. So you want:

%w{Title}[ ][ ][_]2%u0%e