Quantcast

Dragging files into BibDesk

Di Xiao
Hi,

I am using a recent nightly build (2014-06-28) on 10.9.3.  Previously I can drag a file into BibDesk main window to either create a new item or attach the file to an existing item.  Now it only works if "Library" is chosen in the Groups window.  If any other item from the Groups window is chosen (for example, a particular Keywords group), then dragging doesn't work.

Di

Re: Dragging files into BibDesk

Christiaan Hofman

On Jun 30, 2014, at 3:36, Di Xiao wrote:

Hi,

I am using a recent nightly build (2014-06-28) on 10.9.3.  Previously I can drag a file into BibDesk main window to either create a new item or attach the file to an existing item.  Now it only works if "Library" is chosen in the Groups window.  If any other item from the Groups window is chosen (for example, a particular Keywords group), then dragging doesn't work.

Di

It also works when you have a static group selected. Otherwise, it will not work. That is by design, otherwise it is not clear what should happen. The context could suggest that the item would be added to the selected group(s), but that context is vague so it could come unexpected, and we should not change an item due to dragging that is onl;y a vague indication (and adding to a keywords group changes the item.) Not adding to the group would be inconsistent and counter intuitive. So if you want to add new items by drag drop, you should either select the library group or drop directly on that group in the groups table.

Re: Dragging files into BibDesk

Di Xiao
Hi Christiann,

Thanks for the explanation.  I agree that adding a new item in this context can be vague; however, this design also eliminates the possibility of attaching the file to an existing item, which is a clearly defined action regardless which keyword group is chosen.

Di

On Jun 30, 2014, at 14:59, Di Xiao wrote:

Hi Christiann,

Thanks for the explanation.  I agree that adding a new item in this context can be vague; however, this design also eliminates the possibility of attaching the file to an existing item, which is a clearly defined action regardless which keyword group is chosen.

Di

It doe not eliminate this, it just makes it a little bit more work.

Christiaan

On Jun 30, 2014, at 16:39, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

On Jun 30, 2014, at 14:59, Di Xiao wrote:

Hi Christiann,

Thanks for the explanation.  I agree that adding a new item in this context can be vague; however, this design also eliminates the possibility of attaching the file to an existing item, which is a clearly defined action regardless which keyword group is chosen.

Di

It doe not eliminate this, it just makes it a little bit more work.

Christiaan

Tomorrows nightly will allow drops of files (and colors) on existing items when local groups are selected.

Christiaan