Dropping aux file and biblatex

Januz
Hi,

I´m trying to drop my LaTeX aux file on the main window of BibDesk (Version 1.5.6 (2333)) to get the cited entries selected. But the file is just rejected and nothing is selected...

I´m using BibLaTeX and found this old thread where the same problem is mentioned and seemingly solved http://www.mail-archive.com/bibdesk-users@.../msg03386.html

Does anybody else experience this problem?

Thanks,

Janosch

smime.p7s (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Dropping aux file and biblatex

Christiaan Hofman

On Jan 10, 2012, at 20:04, Janosch Linkersdörfer wrote:

Hi,

I´m trying to drop my LaTeX aux file on the main window of BibDesk (Version 1.5.6 (2333)) to get the cited entries selected. But the file is just rejected and nothing is selected...

I´m using BibLaTeX and found this old thread where the same problem is mentioned and seemingly solved http://www.mail-archive.com/bibdesk-users@.../msg03386.html

Does anybody else experience this problem?

Thanks,

Janosch

Do you really mean rejected? I.e. does the dragged file slide back to the source? Or do you mean that you see nothing happening? (that is not rejecting).

And when you look in the file, do you see lines of the form \bibcite{key}{number} or \citation{key}, and do the keys correspond with cite keys in your .bib file?

Re: Dropping aux file and biblatex

Januz
Hi Christiaan,

thanks for your answer.

Am 10.01.2012 um 22:55 schrieb Christiaan Hofman:

On Jan 10, 2012, at 20:04, Janosch Linkersdörfer wrote:

Hi,

I´m trying to drop my LaTeX aux file on the main window of BibDesk (Version 1.5.6 (2333)) to get the cited entries selected. But the file is just rejected and nothing is selected...

I´m using BibLaTeX and found this old thread where the same problem is mentioned and seemingly solved http://www.mail-archive.com/bibdesk-users@.../msg03386.html

Does anybody else experience this problem?

Thanks,

Janosch

Do you really mean rejected? I.e. does the dragged file slide back to the source? Or do you mean that you see nothing happening? (that is not rejecting).

Yes, I mean rejected. If I try another file (like the .bbl) it adds another citation, but the aux file slides back to the source folder...

And when you look in the file, do you see lines of the form \bibcite{key}{number} or \citation{key}, and do the keys correspond with cite keys in your .bib file?

No, in my aux file, I have only entries like this:

\@writefile{toc}{\defcounter {refsection}{0}\relax }\@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {section}{Introduction}{1}}
\abx@aux@page{1}{1}
\abx@aux@page{2}{1}
\abx@aux@page{3}{1}
\abx@aux@page{4}{1}
\abx@aux@page{5}{1}
\abx@aux@page{6}{1}
\abx@aux@page{7}{1}
\abx@aux@page{8}{1}
\abx@aux@page{9}{1}
\abx@aux@page{10}{1}
\abx@aux@page{11}{1}
\abx@aux@page{12}{1}
\abx@aux@page{13}{1}
\abx@aux@page{14}{2}
\abx@aux@page{15}{2}
\abx@aux@page{16}{2}
\abx@aux@page{17}{2}
\abx@aux@page{18}{2}
\abx@aux@page{19}{2}
\abx@aux@page{20}{3}
\abx@aux@page{21}{3}
\abx@aux@page{22}{3}
\abx@aux@page{23}{3}
\abx@aux@page{24}{3}
\abx@aux@page{25}{3}
\abx@aux@page{26}{3}
\abx@aux@page{27}{3}
\abx@aux@page{28}{3}
\abx@aux@page{29}{4}
\abx@aux@page{30}{4}
\@writefile{toc}{\defcounter {refsection}{0}\relax }\@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {section}{Materials and Methods}{4}}
\abx@aux@page{31}{5}
\abx@aux@page{32}{5}
\abx@aux@page{33}{5}
\abx@aux@page{34}{5}

What could be the reason for that? I´m using TeXShop with latexmk.

Thanks,

Janosch

smime.p7s (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Dropping aux file and biblatex

Simon Spiegel

On 11.01.2012, at 09:46, Janosch Linkersdörfer wrote:

> Hi Christiaan,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>

>> And when you look in the file, do you see lines of the form \bibcite{key}{number} or \citation{key}, and do the keys correspond with cite keys in your .bib file?
>
> No, in my aux file, I have only entries like this:
>
> \@writefile{toc}{\defcounter {refsection}{0}\relax }\@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {section}{Introduction}{1}}
> \abx@aux@page{1}{1}
> <snip>
> \abx@aux@page{34}{5}
>

> What could be the reason for that? I´m using TeXShop with latexmk.

Do you happen to use biber with biblatex? If so, the citation information is not written in the .aux file but in a .bcf file. Therefore the .aux file is useless here and AFAIK BibDesk doesn't know anything about .bcf files (as a general rule: although BibDesk works with biblatex, unfortunately, no biblatex-specific additions are actively supported ATM).

Simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 6039

http://www.simifilm.ch

„Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.“ General Buck Turgidson

Re: Dropping aux file and biblatex

Januz
Hi Simon,

yes, I´m using biber. So I won´t be able to use this feature unless I compile using BibTeX if I understand you right.

Thanks for your explanation!

Best,

Janosch

On Jan 11, 2012, at 10:04, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> On 11.01.2012, at 09:46, Janosch Linkersdörfer wrote:
>
>> Hi Christiaan,
>>
>> thanks for your answer.
>>

>>> And when you look in the file, do you see lines of the form \bibcite{key}{number} or \citation{key}, and do the keys correspond with cite keys in your .bib file?
>>
>> No, in my aux file, I have only entries like this:
>>
>> \@writefile{toc}{\defcounter {refsection}{0}\relax }\@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {section}{Introduction}{1}}
>> \abx@aux@page{1}{1}
>> <snip>
>> \abx@aux@page{34}{5}
>>

>> What could be the reason for that? I´m using TeXShop with latexmk.
>
> Do you happen to use biber with biblatex? If so, the citation information is not written in the .aux file but in a .bcf file. Therefore the .aux file is useless here and AFAIK BibDesk doesn't know anything about .bcf files (as a general rule: although BibDesk works with biblatex, unfortunately, no biblatex-specific additions are actively supported ATM).
>
> Simon
>
> --
> Simon Spiegel
> Steinhaldenstr. 50
> 8002 Zürich
>
> Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
> Mobophon: ++41 76 459 6039
>
> http://www.simifilm.ch
>
> „Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.“ General Buck Turgidson

Does .bcf contain the same type of information, that is what I said in an earlier mail?

On 11.01.2012, at 11:29, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2012, at 10:04, Simon Spiegel wrote:
>

>> „Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.“ General Buck Turgidson
>
> Does .bcf contain the same type of information, that is what I said in an earlier mail?

If you mean by "the same type of information" whether it does contain the information what is cited, then the answer is yes; it does containt his information (and some more). If you mean whether it uses the same format as the .aux file, then answer is no. .bcf files are XML files which were introduced because it wasn't possible to sensibly use .aux files for all the information biblatex/biber needs.

Simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 6039

http://www.simifilm.ch

„Goethen getroffen. Beeindruckt.“ Unbekannt

Re: Dropping aux file and biblatex

Jonas Zimmermann
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this has bothered me as well and I wrote a sed line to produce an aux file compatible with BibDesk:

sed -E -n 's/^.*<bcf:citekey[^>]*>([^<]+)<\/bcf:citekey>\s*/\\citation{\1}/p' myfile.bcf > myfile.bcf.aux

Dragging the output file onto BibDesk highlights citations contained within.

Jonas