Edit bibdesk generated files

Tom Frei

I'm new to bibdesk and this mailing list. I like bibdesk so far, but I see it doesn't like when I try to edit a generated bibtex file by hand with vim. If I edit the file with vim and then later open it with bibdesk and make a subsequent edit with bibdesk, it doesn't like it and overwrites the file and omits my manual edit.  This is probably a feature that I don't recognize. What's the workaround? What I'm trying to do is add the shortauthor field to a bibtex entry. Thanks in advance!

Re: Edit bibdesk generated files

Christiaan Hofman

On Sep 21, 2016, at 1:45, Tom Frei <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm new to bibdesk and this mailing list. I like bibdesk so far, but I see it doesn't like when I try to edit a generated bibtex file by hand with vim. If I edit the file with vim and then later open it with bibdesk and make a subsequent edit with bibdesk, it doesn't like it and overwrites the file and omits my manual edit.  This is probably a feature that I don't recognize. What's the workaround? What I'm trying to do is add the shortauthor field to a bibtex entry. Thanks in advance!

What kind of manual edit do you mean? Do you mean edits to bibtex items. Those should just remain. But don’t edit them while open in two different editors at the same time. If you mean edits to other content of the file, that may be overwritten, as in bibtex that is basically just consider comments.

Re: Edit bibdesk generated files

Justin C. Walker

On Sep 20, 2016, at 16:45 , Tom Frei wrote:

> I'm new to bibdesk and this mailing list. I like bibdesk so far, but I see it doesn't like when I try to edit a generated bibtex file by hand with vim. If I edit the file with vim and then later open it with bibdesk and make a subsequent edit with bibdesk, it doesn't like it and overwrites the file and omits my manual edit.  This is probably a feature that I don't recognize. What's the workaround? What I'm trying to do is add the shortauthor field to a bibtex entry. Thanks in advance!

A little more detail would help (unless Christian's answer gave you what you need).

What specific steps are involved?  Do you close the BibTeX .bib file when editing by hand?

FWIW, I frequently edit the .bib file by hand, and have no problems (except for those rare instances when I fubar the .bib file...).

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb

Re: Edit bibdesk generated files

Tom Frei

I've read the responses to my email so far and I want to say thank you. As your responses suggested, I had both bibdesk and vim open at the same time.  I see now (duh) that bibtesk just wants to keep integrity of the files it is working on while it is open.  That is why it didn't allow changes to the file that it had open at the time.

Thank you all for your help.  Sorry for the newbie mistake.

-Tom