Editing flags and ratings in the main window

Editing flags and ratings in the main window

Peter Principe
Folks --

I noticed in the release notes for version 1.6.11 that one of the bugs fixed was "Disable editing of rating or flags from the main table". I looked for an explanation or discussion of this change, but I didn't find one (which may be a function of my search skills).

I have created several Boolean fields in BibDesk that I regularly edit from the main table, and I also edit the ratings stars (which I use as an indicator of use) from the main table. I assume the change implemented in 1.6.11 will require that I open the record window for each entry to edit these fields. If this is so, I am reluctant to update to 1.6.11, because this change will make editing these fields more time-consuming. Is it possible that this property could be turned on and off in the preferences in future releases?

This may be an instance where one person's bug really is another person's feature.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Regards, Principe.
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.

Doubt​ is not pleasant, but certainty is absurd.

     Voltaire, in a letter to Frederick the Great, 1767

Re: Editing flags and ratings in the main window

Christiaan Hofman

On 3 May 2017, at 15:33, Peter Principe <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

That is indeed what it does. And you are right that one person’s bug is another person’s feature, and that’s just a fact.

I am also reluctant to make it another preference and add to feature bloat.

On 3 May 2017, at 16:59, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

As an alternative, I could also make ratings editable from the contextual menu, a bit like the flags in Mail. How would that work for you?

Re: Editing flags and ratings in the main window

Christiaan Hofman

You can already try this in the latest nightlies.