Foreword to a book

rad

Foreword to a book

rad
in my thesis I need to cite a guest foreword to a book

The book is authored by smith, but the foreword is authored by
milbank. There is no editor.

I don't know what publication type to make the foreword by milbank.
None of the options seem to fit.

Any tips?

Richard Davis

Re: Foreword to a book

James Howison-3
Hope that others have more specific suggestions, but I think this
might be one of those areas in which bibtex's data model breaks down.
So you really just want to ask yourself, "what do I need it to look
like in my particular style" and then screw around with different
options until you get what you need :)

Or try biblatex and a custom style :)

--J

On 26 Jan 2009, at 5:46 PM, Richard Davis wrote:

> in my thesis I need to cite a guest foreword to a book
>
> The book is authored by smith, but the foreword is authored by
> milbank. There is no editor.
>
> I don't know what publication type to make the foreword by milbank.
> None of the options seem to fit.
>
> Any tips?
>

> Richard Davis

rad

Re: Foreword to a book

rad
I see that biblatex-chicago-notes has "customc":

"This is the entry type to use if the main focus of a reference is an
introduction,
afterword, or forward to a book, either by the same or a different author."

I'll give that a crack...

Richard Davis

2009/1/26 James Howison <[hidden email]>:

> Hope that others have more specific suggestions, but I think this
> might be one of those areas in which bibtex's data model breaks down.
> So you really just want to ask yourself, "what do I need it to look
> like in my particular style" and then screw around with different
> options until you get what you need :)
>
> Or try biblatex and a custom style :)
>
> --J
>
> On 26 Jan 2009, at 5:46 PM, Richard Davis wrote:
>
>> in my thesis I need to cite a guest foreword to a book
>>
>> The book is authored by smith, but the foreword is authored by
>> milbank. There is no editor.
>>
>> I don't know what publication type to make the foreword by milbank.
>> None of the options seem to fit.
>>
>> Any tips?
>>

>> Richard Davis

Re: Foreword to a book

Simon Spiegel

On 27.01.2009, at 00:33, Richard Davis wrote:

I see that biblatex-chicago-notes has "customc":

"This is the entry type to use if the main focus of a reference is an
introduction,
afterword, or forward to a book, either by the same or a different author."

No need for custom fields to solve this in biblatex. You can easily do this with incollection, author and bookauthor. The bookauthor will be smith, the author will be milbank. The title of the entry will by foreword. The Bookauthor field was, at the beginning, one of the main reasons I switched to biblatex because this case occurs quite often in humanities and can't be solved properly without bookauthor.

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

„It will take time to restore chaos. George W. Bush

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment