Fwd: Templates

Jan David Hauck
Hello everybody,

Two (hopefully) quick questions on templates:

1.) Same problem as:
trying to get the output for multiple authors:
Lastname, Firstname, Firstname Lastname, and Firstname Lastname. YYYY. Title

(FYI, all styles that are following [or inspired by] the Chicago Manual of Style will have this format, the "logic" behind it is  "always write authors as Firstname Lastname unless part of a list where Lastname is relevant for sort order, i.e., bibliographies").

Is there a more elegant solution for this than the one suggested:

<$authors.normalizedName.@.../><$authors.@...=0?>
<$authors.@...=1?>
<?$authors.@...=2?>
 and <$authors.name.@.../><?$authors.@...=3?>
, <$authors.name.@.../>, and <$authors.name.@.../><?$authors.@...?>
, <$authors.name.@.../>, <$authors.name.@.../>, et al.</$authors.@...?>

as it happens that even in the social sciences there are papers with up to a dozen authors and the above solution is a little cumbersome if you want to have it universally applicable.

2.)  How do I get the "if no author display editor" behavior for templates?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Jan

Re: Fwd: Templates

Christiaan Hofman

On Apr 26, 2014, at 23:34, Jan David Hauck wrote:

[...]

For a format as weird as this style, it must be something as cumbersome as this, because it's not very consistent, to say the least. I am not sure how many authors should be handled by this style, but it shouldn't be really more cumbersome, just proper conditionals, whatever they need to be
 (this one assumes to use et al after three names.)

2.)  How do I get the "if no author display editor" behavior for templates?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Jan

Use some conditionals based on the number of authors, and insert a template using editors when there are no authors. For instance, in something like the above you can insert something involving editors in the <$authors.@count=0?> case.

Re: Fwd: Templates

Jan David Hauck
Thanks Christiaan!

I've tried to do it but there's one thing I didn't figure out.

Here is what I used for book (basically from your suggestion on the other thread):

<$pubType=book?>

<$authors.normalizedName.@firstObject/><$authors.@count=0?><$authors.@count=1?><?$authors.@count=2?> and <$authors.name.@secondObject/><?$authors.@count=3?>, <$authors.name.@secondObject/>, and <$authors.name.@thirdObject/><?$authors.@count?>, <$authors.name.@secondObject/>, <$authors.name.@thirdObject/>, et al.</$authors.@count?>

<$fields.Year/> <$fields.Title.stringByDeTeXifyingString/>. <$fields.Address/>: <$fields.Publisher/>.

It works as it should for two-author / three-author entries but for entries with one single author it gives me now:

Lastname, Firstname, , , et al.

What am I doing wrong?

And: where should I logically place the same stuff for editors?

Thanks so much for your help!

Jan

On Apr 27, 2014, at 1:52, Jan David Hauck wrote:

Thanks Christiaan!

I've tried to do it but there's one thing I didn't figure out.

Here is what I used for book (basically from your suggestion on the other thread):

<$pubType=book?>
<$authors.normalizedName.@firstObject/><$authors.@count=0?><$authors.@count=1?><?$authors.@count=2?> and <$authors.name.@secondObject/><?$authors.@count=3?>, <$authors.name.@secondObject/>, and <$authors.name.@thirdObject/><?$authors.@count?>, <$authors.name.@secondObject/>, <$authors.name.@thirdObject/>, et al.</$authors.@count?>

<$fields.Year/> <$fields.Title.stringByDeTeXifyingString/>. <$fields.Address/>: <$fields.Publisher/>.

It works as it should for two-author / three-author entries but for entries with one single author it gives me now:

Lastname, Firstname, , , et al.

What am I doing wrong?

There is a "?" missing in the alternate condition tag <?$authors.@count=1?>

Also, perhaps one small simplification could be:

<$authors.normalizedName.@firstObject/><$authors.@count<1?><?$authors.@count<3?> and <$authors.name.@secondObject/><?$authors.@count<4?>, <$authors.name.@secondObject/>, and <$authors.name.@thirdObject/><?$authors.@count?>, <$authors.name.@secondObject/>, <$authors.name.@thirdObject/>, et al.</$authors.@count?>

And: where should I logically place the same stuff for editors?

It depends on what you want exactly. If you want the same template for editors, you could simply use "authorsOrEditors" instead of "authors". Otherwise, you can specify a different format using something like

<$authors?>
template for authors
<?$authors?>
template for editors
</$authors?>

Christiaan

[...]

Thank you so much Christiaan!

Got it to work! (Although the template looks pretty insane now, as technically they want to list all authors in the bibliography so I've written it out up until ten authors).  I'll send it to you shortly if you want to post it to the wiki, the AAA template that's there doesn't do it the way it should be.
But I have one more question:  For titles, is there a way I can get BibDesk to translate Tex Quotation Marks `` and '' into the standard typographic ones (for the rtf templates)?

Thanks again!

Jan

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 1:56 AM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I have one more question with regards to Templates:
For titles, is there a way I can get BibDesk to translate Tex Quotation Marks `` and '' into the standard typographic ones also for the Rtf templates?   And the same with -- and --- etc.

Thanks!

Jan

On Apr 29, 2014, at 15:11, Jan David Hauck wrote:

Hello everybody,

I have one more question with regards to Templates:
For titles, is there a way I can get BibDesk to translate Tex Quotation Marks `` and '' into the standard typographic ones also for the Rtf templates?   And the same with -- and --- etc.

Thanks!

Jan

There's nothing to convert TeX quotation marks. For the dashes, there is stringByConvertingHyphensToDashes.

Christiaan

[...]

Jan Jakob Bornheim
> I have one more question with regards to Templates:
> For titles, is there a way I can get BibDesk to translate Tex Quotation
> Marks `` and '' into the standard typographic ones also for the Rtf
> templates?   And the same with -- and --- etc.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jan
>

> There's nothing to convert TeX quotation marks. For the dashes, there is
> stringByConvertingHyphensToDashes.
>
> Christiaan

You can do further string manipulation in AppleScript. You could
create a Script Menu for BibDesk and drop the following script in
there. Then you could either assign a keyboard shortcut to the script
or use BetterTouchTool to trigger it.

Here is the script (note that I actually wrote that on a Windows
machine, so I couldn't test it yet). Replace "template name" with the
name of your template, but keep the quotes. The script formats the
selected publications according to the selected template and then
replaces the quotation marks and copies the output to the clipboard.

Cheers

Jan Jakob

set theTemplate to "template name"

tell document 1 of application "BibDesk"

set thePublications to the selection
set theCitation to (templated text using theTemplate for thePublications)

set theCitation to my replaceString(theCitation "``", "“")
set theCitation to my replaceString(theCitation "\"", "”")
set the clipboard to theCitation

end tell

# http://applescript.bratis-lover.net/library/string/#replaceString

on replaceString(theText, oldString, newString)
local ASTID, theText, oldString, newString, lst
set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
try
considering case
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldString
set lst to every text item of theText
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to newString
set theText to lst as string
end considering
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
return theText
on error eMsg number eNum
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
error "Can't replaceString: " & eMsg number eNum
end try
end replaceString

> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Jan David Hauck <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you so much Christiaan!
>>
>> Got it to work! (Although the template looks pretty insane now, as
>> technically they want to list all authors in the bibliography so I've
>> written it out up until ten authors).  I'll send it to you shortly if you
>> want to post it to the wiki, the AAA template that's there doesn't do it the
>> way it should be.
>> But I have one more question:  For titles, is there a way I can get
>> BibDesk to translate Tex Quotation Marks `` and '' into the standard
>> typographic ones (for the rtf templates)?
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Jan
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 1:56 AM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Apr 27, 2014, at 1:52, Jan David Hauck wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Christiaan!
>>>
>>> I've tried to do it but there's one thing I didn't figure out.
>>>
>>> Here is what I used for book (basically from your suggestion on the other
>>> thread):
>>>
>>> <$pubType=book?>
>>>
>>> <$authors.normalizedName.@firstObject/><$authors.@count=0?><$authors.@count=1?><?$authors.@count=2?>
>>> and <$authors.name.@secondObject/><?$authors.@count=3?>,
>>> <$authors.name.@secondObject/>, and
>>> <$authors.name.@thirdObject/><?$authors.@count?>,
>>> <$authors.name.@secondObject/>, <$authors.name.@thirdObject/>, et
>>> al.</$authors.@count?>
>>>
>>> <$fields.Year/> <$fields.Title.stringByDeTeXifyingString/>.
>>> <$fields.Address/>: <$fields.Publisher/>.
>>>
>>> It works as it should for two-author / three-author entries but for
>>> entries with one single author it gives me now:
>>>
>>> Lastname, Firstname, , , et al.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong?
>>>

>>> There is a "?" missing in the alternate condition tag
>>> <?$authors.@count=1?>
>>>
>>> Also, perhaps one small simplification could be:
>>>

>>> <$authors.normalizedName.@firstObject/><$authors.@count<1?><?$authors.@count<3?>
>>> and <$authors.name.@secondObject/><?$authors.@count<4?>,
>>> <$authors.name.@secondObject/>, and
>>> <$authors.name.@thirdObject/><?$authors.@count?>,
>>> <$authors.name.@secondObject/>, <$authors.name.@thirdObject/>, et
>>> al.</$authors.@count?>
>>>
>>> And: where should I logically place the same stuff for editors?
>>>

>>> It depends on what you want exactly. If you want the same template for
>>> editors, you could simply use "authorsOrEditors" instead of "authors".
>>> Otherwise, you can specify a different format using something like
>>>
>>> <$authors?>
>>> template for authors
>>> <?$authors?>
>>> template for editors
>>> </$authors?>
>>>
>>> Christiaan
>>>
>>> Thanks so much for your help!
>>>
>>> Jan

Re: Fwd: Templates

Jan David Hauck
Hello,
a while ago on this list, Jan Jakob posted a useful AppleScript to further manipulate templates (see below).  Is there a way to make BibDesk use that applescript for displaying the template in the preview window.
Thanks,
Jan D.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Jan Jakob Bornheim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have one more question with regards to Templates:
> For titles, is there a way I can get BibDesk to translate Tex Quotation
> Marks `` and '' into the standard typographic ones also for the Rtf
> templates?   And the same with -- and --- etc.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jan
>

> There's nothing to convert TeX quotation marks. For the dashes, there is
> stringByConvertingHyphensToDashes.
>
> Christiaan

You can do further string manipulation in AppleScript. You could
create a Script Menu for BibDesk and drop the following script in
there. Then you could either assign a keyboard shortcut to the script
or use BetterTouchTool to trigger it.

Here is the script (note that I actually wrote that on a Windows
machine, so I couldn't test it yet). Replace "template name" with the
name of your template, but keep the quotes. The script formats the
selected publications according to the selected template and then
replaces the quotation marks and copies the output to the clipboard.

Cheers

Jan Jakob

set theTemplate to "template name"

tell document 1 of application "BibDesk"

set thePublications to the selection
set theCitation to (templated text using theTemplate for thePublications)

set theCitation to my replaceString(theCitation "``", "“")
set theCitation to my replaceString(theCitation "\"", "”")
set the clipboard to theCitation

end tell

# http://applescript.bratis-lover.net/library/string/#replaceString

on replaceString(theText, oldString, newString)
local ASTID, theText, oldString, newString, lst
set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
try
considering case
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldString
set lst to every text item of theText
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to newString
set theText to lst as string
end considering
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
return theText
on error eMsg number eNum
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
error "Can't replaceString: " & eMsg number eNum
end try
end replaceString

Re: Fwd: Templates

Christiaan Hofman
It does not manipulate templates, it uses templates to format the data.

Christiaan