How to suppress unwanted BibDesk fields (URL, DOI, etc.) from appearing in final bibliography

How to suppress unwanted BibDesk fields (URL, DOI, etc.) from appearing in final bibliography

list_email
Noob here. I am using BibDesk with LyX, writing an IEEE Transactions paper using the ieeetrans template within LyX.

I have references in BibDesk that have fields such as DOI, URL, and ISSN that are filled in. I do not want these fields to appear in the IEEE paper as this is not compatible with the IEEE referencing format. Yet, when I create a PDF from within LyX, these items do in fact appear in the bibliography.

How do I suppress these unwanted fields? Or is this a LyX question?

Thanks,
Jerry

Re: How to suppress unwanted BibDesk fields (URL, DOI, etc.) from appearing in final bibliography

Christiaan Hofman

On Dec 1, 2016, at 23:21, [hidden email] wrote:

Noob here. I am using BibDesk with LyX, writing an IEEE Transactions paper using the ieeetrans template within LyX.

I have references in BibDesk that have fields such as DOI, URL, and ISSN that are filled in. I do not want these fields to appear in the IEEE paper as this is not compatible with the IEEE referencing format. Yet, when I create a PDF from within LyX, these items do in fact appear in the bibliography.

How do I suppress these unwanted fields? Or is this a LyX question?

Thanks,
Jerry

How fields are used in the bibliography depends on the bibtex style that you use. So the answer is that you should use a style that does not use these fields. And this is basically a bibtex question, not a BibDesk question.

On Dec 1, 2016, at 3:24 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Dec 1, 2016, at 23:21, [hidden email] wrote:

Noob here. I am using BibDesk with LyX, writing an IEEE Transactions paper using the ieeetrans template within LyX.

I have references in BibDesk that have fields such as DOI, URL, and ISSN that are filled in. I do not want these fields to appear in the IEEE paper as this is not compatible with the IEEE referencing format. Yet, when I create a PDF from within LyX, these items do in fact appear in the bibliography.

How do I suppress these unwanted fields? Or is this a LyX question?

Thanks,
Jerry

How fields are used in the bibliography depends on the bibtex style that you use. So the answer is that you should use a style that does not use these fields. And this is basically a bibtex question, not a BibDesk question.

Christiaan

Thank you.
Jerry

Re: How to suppress unwanted BibDesk fields (URL, DOI, etc.) from appearing in final bibliography

gweltaz
* Skriv a reas [hidden email] ([hidden email]):
  |>  Noob here. I am using BibDesk with LyX, writing an IEEE Transactions paper using the ieeetrans template within LyX.
  |>
  |>  I have references in BibDesk that have fields such as DOI, URL, and ISSN that are filled in. I do not want these fields to appear in the IEEE paper as this is not compatible with the IEEE referencing format. Yet, when I create a PDF from within LyX, these items do in fact appear in the bibliography.
  |>
  |>  How do I suppress these unwanted fields? Or is this a LyX question?

In case you are interested in using the IEEE-style biblatex package for references, you could declare:

\usepackage[style=ieee,isbn=false,url=false,doi=false]{biblatex}

I think `isbn=false` would clear the ISSN but I haven't tried it myself. Then you would have to declare your bib file as:

\addbibresource{yourfile.bib}
--Gildas

Re: How to suppress unwanted BibDesk fields (URL, DOI, etc.) from appearing in final bibliography

list_email

> On Dec 1, 2016, at 6:18 PM, Gildas Hamel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> * Skriv a reas [hidden email] ([hidden email]):
>  |>  Noob here. I am using BibDesk with LyX, writing an IEEE Transactions paper using the ieeetrans template within LyX.
>  |>
>  |>  I have references in BibDesk that have fields such as DOI, URL, and ISSN that are filled in. I do not want these fields to appear in the IEEE paper as this is not compatible with the IEEE referencing format. Yet, when I create a PDF from within LyX, these items do in fact appear in the bibliography.
>  |>
>  |>  How do I suppress these unwanted fields? Or is this a LyX question?
>  |>
>
> In case you are interested in using the IEEE-style biblatex package for references, you could declare:
>
> \usepackage[style=ieee,isbn=false,url=false,doi=false]{biblatex}
>
> I think `isbn=false` would clear the ISSN but I haven't tried it myself. Then you would have to declare your bib file as:
>
> \addbibresource{yourfile.bib}
> —Gildas

Thank you, Gildas. Since your response is slightly more specific than that of Jan and since the result is the same, I’ll reply to  your comment only.

Adding

\usepackage[style=ieee,isbn=false,url=false,doi=false]{biblatex}

to LyX’s LaTeX preamble results in the following error:

! LaTeX Error: File `iftex.sty' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)

Enter file name:
! Emergency stop.
<read *>

l.37 \RequirePackage
                   {pdftexcmds}^^M
*** (cannot \read from terminal in nonstop modes)

When I added

\usepackage{pdftexcmds}

the same error was generated. The pdftexcmds page leads to a 39-page PDF user manual.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Jerry

Re: How to suppress unwanted BibDesk fields (URL, DOI, etc.) from appearing in final bibliography

gweltaz
* Skriv a reas [hidden email] ([hidden email]):

  |>  Thank you, Gildas. Since your response is slightly more specific than that of Jan and since the result is the same, I’ll reply to  your comment only.

[ .... ]
  |>  Ideas?

This (La)TeX and/or Lyx question would be better suited on a TeX list. Or you can write me directly. --Gildas