ISBN

Martin Lacher
Hi there,

I'm a complete LaTex and Bibdesk Newbie, therefore perhaps a question a
little stupid: I'd like to add the ISBN identifier to my cited books,
but although BibTex seems to support that, I'm not able to find a field
in Bibdesk to enter the ISBN identifier... What's the problem? I've got
type "book" set for my reference.

Thanks in advance, have a good day

Martin

Re: ISBN

Simon Spiegel

On 28.04.2009, at 10:55, Martin Lacher wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm a complete LaTex and Bibdesk Newbie, therefore perhaps a
> question a
> little stupid: I'd like to add the ISBN identifier to my cited books,
> but although BibTex seems to support that, I'm not able to find a
> field
> in Bibdesk to enter the ISBN identifier... What's the problem? I've
> got
> type "book" set for my reference.

You can add any field you like to your entries in BibDesk. You can
either do it ad hoc with the little plus sign button in the lower
left corner of an the entry window, or you can have it as default for
an entry type with the Fields setting in the prefecerences.

Note that it entirely depends on the bibtex style whether the ISBN
number is actually printed in your LaTeX document. Most styles wont
print it by default (and to be honest, I very rarely see printed
bibliographies where the ISBN number is included).

Simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„In a world getting more and more democratic, film directing is the
last resort for dictators.“ Francis Ford Coppola

Re: ISBN

Derick Fay
If you're doing a lot of books it may be worth getting Bookpedia ($18)
and a CueCat scanner ($12 or so on ebay) -- completely unsolicited
endorsement here - I got both before adding a few hundred books to BD
and it was well worth it - now whenever a new book order comes in I just
scan the barcodes then export from Bookpedia to BibTeX --> BibDesk.

Once you have your ISBNs in place, there's an Applescript at
http://dfay.fastmail.fm/bibdesk/Open%20Google%20Book%20URL.scpt which
will automatically add links to Google Books based on the ISBN.

> Hi there,
>
> I'm a complete LaTex and Bibdesk Newbie, therefore perhaps a
> question a
> little stupid: I'd like to add the ISBN identifier to my cited books,
> but although BibTex seems to support that, I'm not able to find a
> field
> in Bibdesk to enter the ISBN identifier... What's the problem? I've
> got
> type "book" set for my reference.

You can add any field you like to your entries in BibDesk. You can
either do it ad hoc with the little plus sign button in the lower
left corner of an the entry window, or you can have it as default for
an entry type with the Fields setting in the prefecerences.

Note that it entirely depends on the bibtex style whether the ISBN
number is actually printed in your LaTeX document. Most styles wont
print it by default (and to be honest, I very rarely see printed
bibliographies where the ISBN number is included).

Simon

Re: ISBN

Alex Montgomery-Amo
There's also my Book Scripts, which will add books by ISBN from the
Library of Congress and WorldCat, or attempt to "fix" book citations
using existing data. See the README:

http://people.reed.edu/~ahm/Projects/Citation/BibDesk/BookScriptsReadme.txt

And the scripts:

http://people.reed.edu/~ahm/Projects/Citation/BibDesk/BookScripts0.4.4.zip