Quantcast

Importing data problem

M A

Importing data problem

M A
When I drag a pdf to my library to import it into BibDesk (by placing the pdf on the Library icon in the left hand panel) the data that gets imported (author, title, etc) is inferior to what would get imported in previous versions of BibDesk. In particular, the Journal entry is no longer the ISO abbreviation, information like Volume, Pages and the full Journal name are missing, and, worse, there is no abstract. Previously, all this data for the article would get imported from, I believe, pubmed, which may not be useful for some people but was surely very useful for me (and likely many others). (The pubmed import can be imperfect too, such as the page numbers always need to be corrected manually). Additionally, the current version does not respect my cite key and autofile format choice when importing in this way.

I suppose the current version of BibDesk is looking up the article data somewhere else that does not provide all the information. Is there some way that I can get BibDesk to return to the previous behavior?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Importing data problem

Christiaan Hofman

On Sep 30, 2016, at 22:29, M A <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I guess you have set a hidden pref to get this in the first place? That is always somewhat fragile and subject to changes or cancellation. We have switched to a more generic DOI service rather than pubmed, which is restricted to specific fields. I don’t know how these different services compare, except for this important difference. There is no option to get the old version back, tough you can always use AppleScript and script hooks to get some custom processing.