Incomplete import from Endnote generated text file

Incomplete import from Endnote generated text file

John Hayes-6
Hi Everybody.

I just installed BibDisk 1.3.18 this morning and I'm trying to migrate my
Endnote 6.0.1 library. I followed the directions in the Wiki [1] and they
were very straight forward.

I have run into one major snag however.  My endnote library has ~2000
entries, and skimming the endnote exported text file (briefly) with TextEdit
suggests the export was successful. However,  when I import into BibDesk
Using Temporary Cite Keys, the resulting library only has 94 entries.

I looked in the FAQ and the mailing list archives and I didn't see anything
relevant. Am I making some obvious rookie mistake or is something screwy
with Endnote?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

jh

[1]
http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FAQ#How_can_I_import_a_databas
e_from_Endnote_to_BibDesk.3F
--
John E Hayes PhD
Center for Alcohol and Addictions Studies

Re: Incomplete import from Endnote generated text file

Christiaan Hofman

On 29 Aug 2008, at 5:24 PM, John Hayes wrote:

> Hi Everybody.
>
> I just installed BibDisk 1.3.18 this morning and I'm trying to
> migrate my
> Endnote 6.0.1 library. I followed the directions in the Wiki [1] and
> they
> were very straight forward.
>
> I have run into one major snag however.  My endnote library has ~2000
> entries, and skimming the endnote exported text file (briefly) with
> TextEdit
> suggests the export was successful. However,  when I import into
> BibDesk
> Using Temporary Cite Keys, the resulting library only has 94 entries.
>
> I looked in the FAQ and the mailing list archives and I didn't see
> anything
> relevant. Am I making some obvious rookie mistake or is something
> screwy
> with Endnote?

There's certainly something screwy with Endnote, as the bibtex it
exports is invalid. Importing using temporary cite keys tries to fix
that, but that does not always work. Though BibDesk should warn when
it fails.

Alex Montgomery has a better bibtex export style that you might want
to use instead of Endnotes buggy built-in one, see <http://people.reed.edu/~ahm/Projects/Citation/Endnote/Styles/
 >.

Christiaan