Keep Sort Orders

Jan David Hauck
Hello everyone,

Is there any way to make BibDesk remember the following?

(1)  In the different Groups (Search, Smart, or Static Groups), remember individual settings the main window (columns and sort order).  I would like to keep library always sorted by Date-added, but prefer to sort Groups after a different column, Author or Year, etc. depending of the Group.  Is there a way to make BibDesk remember the sorting?

(2)  Remember whether a Group in the side panel was collapsed on reopening BibDesk.  As of now BibDesk always expands all groups that appear in the SidePanel and I have to collapse manually.  I'd prefer if it opened with either all of them collapsed by default or remembering the previous view.

Thanks,

Jan

PS:  Should the above not be possible yet would it be worthwile to submit a feature-request?

Re: Keep Sort Orders

Christiaan Hofman

On Dec 4, 2015, at 6:32, Jan David Hauck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Is there any way to make BibDesk remember the following?

(1)  In the different Groups (Search, Smart, or Static Groups), remember individual settings the main window (columns and sort order).  I would like to keep library always sorted by Date-added, but prefer to sort Groups after a different column, Author or Year, etc. depending of the Group.  Is there a way to make BibDesk remember the sorting?

No, it’s not possible to make the sort order group dependent. And it would also not be feasible to make it so.

(2)  Remember whether a Group in the side panel was collapsed on reopening BibDesk.  As of now BibDesk always expands all groups that appear in the SidePanel and I have to collapse manually.  I'd prefer if it opened with either all of them collapsed by default or remembering the previous view.

Thanks,

Jan

PS:  Should the above not be possible yet would it be worthwile to submit a feature-request?

The collapsed status of the group categories should be remembered, we do save and restore that. But apparently that was somehow broken in newer OS releases. I’ll have a look into that.

Re: Keep Sort Orders

Christiaan Hofman

On Dec 4, 2015, at 11:05, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Christiaan

Sorry, that was our bad. This is fixed in tomorrow’s nightly build.

Re: Keep Sort Orders

Jan David Hauck
Great, thank you for that!

Too bad about the sort order not possible.  But would it be possible to at least assign keyboard shortcuts to use column x for sorting?

Unfortunately the sorting for now is only possible by clicking on the column, but not via a menu. If that would be made available via the menu then one could easily assign a shortcut.

On Dec 4, 2015, at 11:48, Jan David Hauck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Great, thank you for that!

Too bad about the sort order not possible.  But would it be possible to at least assign keyboard shortcuts to use column x for sorting?

Unfortunately the sorting for now is only possible by clicking on the column, but not via a menu. If that would be made available via the menu then one could easily assign a shortcut.

That wouldn’t be feasible, and it would not be possible. Even if there was a submenu, the menu item name would be ambiguous (because it would be the same as for show/hide the columns) , and you can only assign a custom shortcut by the name.