Quantcast

Keyboard short cut to only copy the cite key

Keyboard short cut to only copy the cite key

Yeung Saiwing
Hi,

is there a way to copy only the cite key ("Smith1999") instead of the entire cite command ("\cite{Smith1999}") with a keyboard short cut? I need to paste just the cite key quite often, because I don't need the cite command, or there are multiple citations in one command, etc.

If not, how can I put in a feature request? I am asking here because the link (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=61487) from the official page (http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net) doesn't seem to work.

Thank you.

Best,
Saiwing

Re: Keyboard short cut to only copy the cite key

Jan Jakob Bornheim
On 20/3/15 07:24, "Yeung Saiwing" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>is there a way to copy only the cite key ("Smith1999") instead of the entire cite command ("\cite{Smith1999}") with a keyboard short cut? I need to paste just the cite key quite often, because I don't need the cite command, or there are multiple citations in one command, etc.
>
>If not, how can I put in a feature request? I am asking here because the link (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=61487) from the official page (http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net) doesn't seem to work.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Best,
>Saiwing
There is very likely an easier way that I overlooked, but here’s how I did that.

Create a textfile. The text file should only contain one line:

<$publications><$citeKey/></$publications>

Save it. Add that file as a template (Preferences - Template) (http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/manual/BibDeskHelp_69.html).

Then go to preferences and assign the template to either the default format or the format when holding option key.

Jan Jakob

PS: The multiple citations are easily handled by playing with the cite command style under Preferences - Citation.

PPS: If you ever only need the cite key in latex, it might be better to have your template look like this:

<$publications>[]{<$citeKey/>}</$publications>

This will insert brackets as well with each cite key.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 09.29.04.png (125K) Download Attachment

Re: Keyboard short cut to only copy the cite key

Christiaan Hofman

On Mar 20, 2015, at 9:33, Jan Jakob Bornheim wrote:

[...]

Yes, this is the way to do this. A slightly improved template would include a separator between the cite keys:

<$publications><$citeKey/><?$publications>,</$publications>

Re: Keyboard short cut to only copy the cite key

Yeung Saiwing
Thanks so much to both of you. It worked like a charm.

Saiwing