New install, not shifting or renaming file

New install, not shifting or renaming file

David Nicholls-2
I'm just setting up a new MacbookPro (Mavericks), and have installed Bibdesk and have copied over my old references.bib file, and the library of pdfs from my old MBP (also Mavericks).

My normal routine when adding a new reference, once I have the new entry in the main bibdesk window, is to drag a downloaded pdf onto the Bibdesk "drop files here" window, which renames the files to authorYYYYa.pdf, etc, and moves it to the papers folder of pdfs.

For some reason, probably a config error, the new set up neither renames the file nor moves it.  I currently have the default preferences. What do I need to set to fix the problem?

Thanks

DN

Re: New install, not shifting or renaming file

Ken Mankoff

Unless you use the "Migration Assistant", none of your preferences
moved.

1. Quit BibDesk
2. Restore pref file from backup

    pref file is
    ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist

3. At terminal, run: "defaults read
~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist"

That might get it to work.

  -k.

* On 2014-10-21 at 08:23, David Nicholls wrote:

> I'm just setting up a new MacbookPro (Mavericks), and have installed Bibdesk and have copied over my old references.bib file, and the library of pdfs from my old MBP (also Mavericks).
>
> My normal routine when adding a new reference, once I have the new entry in the main bibdesk window, is to drag a downloaded pdf onto the Bibdesk "drop files here" window, which renames the files to authorYYYYa.pdf, etc, and moves it to the papers folder of pdfs.
>
> For some reason, probably a config error, the new set up neither renames the file nor moves it.  I currently have the default preferences. What do I need to set to fix the problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> DN

Re: New install, not shifting or renaming file

David Nicholls-2
No, I didn't use migration assistant, in order to avoid carrying over years' worth of old stuff.  But I set up the prefs and locations as before.  Shifting the prefs file was my next step, but I thought I'd ask first.  Thanks.

DN

On 21 Oct 2014, at 11:46 pm, Ken Mankoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unless you use the "Migration Assistant", none of your preferences
> moved.
>
> 1. Quit BibDesk
> 2. Restore pref file from backup
>
>    pref file is
>    ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist
>
> 3. At terminal, run: "defaults read
> ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist"
>
> That might get it to work.
>
>  -k.
>

> * On 2014-10-21 at 08:23, David Nicholls wrote:
>> I'm just setting up a new MacbookPro (Mavericks), and have installed Bibdesk and have copied over my old references.bib file, and the library of pdfs from my old MBP (also Mavericks).
>>
>> My normal routine when adding a new reference, once I have the new entry in the main bibdesk window, is to drag a downloaded pdf onto the Bibdesk "drop files here" window, which renames the files to authorYYYYa.pdf, etc, and moves it to the papers folder of pdfs.
>>
>> For some reason, probably a config error, the new set up neither renames the file nor moves it.  I currently have the default preferences. What do I need to set to fix the problem?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> DN

Re: New install, not shifting or renaming file

David Nicholls-2
I copied over both prefs files, etc, but no success.  It's still not moving or renaming the file.

There's also a Bibdesk entry in ~/Library/Application Support, but its contents don't look like they'd have much impact on the problem.

DN

On 21 Oct 2014, at 11:53 pm, David Nicholls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, I didn't use migration assistant, in order to avoid carrying over years' worth of old stuff.  But I set up the prefs and locations as before.  Shifting the prefs file was my next step, but I thought I'd ask first.  Thanks.
>
> DN
>
> On 21 Oct 2014, at 11:46 pm, Ken Mankoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Unless you use the "Migration Assistant", none of your preferences
>> moved.
>>
>> 1. Quit BibDesk
>> 2. Restore pref file from backup
>>
>>   pref file is
>>   ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist
>>
>> 3. At terminal, run: "defaults read
>> ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist"
>>
>> That might get it to work.
>>
>> -k.
>>

>> * On 2014-10-21 at 08:23, David Nicholls wrote:
>>> I'm just setting up a new MacbookPro (Mavericks), and have installed Bibdesk and have copied over my old references.bib file, and the library of pdfs from my old MBP (also Mavericks).
>>>
>>> My normal routine when adding a new reference, once I have the new entry in the main bibdesk window, is to drag a downloaded pdf onto the Bibdesk "drop files here" window, which renames the files to authorYYYYa.pdf, etc, and moves it to the papers folder of pdfs.
>>>
>>> For some reason, probably a config error, the new set up neither renames the file nor moves it.  I currently have the default preferences. What do I need to set to fix the problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> DN

Re: New install, not shifting or renaming file

Christiaan Hofman

On Oct 21, 2014, at 15:07, David Nicholls wrote:

> I copied over both prefs files,

Which "both"? There's only one.

> etc, but no success.  It's still not moving or renaming the file.

Did you quit BibDesk before you did, and did you run the "defaults read" command from the Terminal?

An alternative is:

1. Quit BibDesk
2. Run "defaults delete ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist" in the Terminal
3. Move the backup pref (from your old machine) into ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist

> There's also a Bibdesk entry in ~/Library/Application Support, but its contents don't look like they'd have much impact on the problem.
>
> DN

No, they are not involved in auto filing.

Note that you can check it also in the AutoFile preference pane.

Christiaan

> On 21 Oct 2014, at 11:53 pm, David Nicholls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> No, I didn't use migration assistant, in order to avoid carrying over years' worth of old stuff.  But I set up the prefs and locations as before.  Shifting the prefs file was my next step, but I thought I'd ask first.  Thanks.
>>
>> DN
>>
>> On 21 Oct 2014, at 11:46 pm, Ken Mankoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Unless you use the "Migration Assistant", none of your preferences
>>> moved.
>>>
>>> 1. Quit BibDesk
>>> 2. Restore pref file from backup
>>>
>>>  pref file is
>>>  ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist
>>>
>>> 3. At terminal, run: "defaults read
>>> ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist"
>>>
>>> That might get it to work.
>>>
>>> -k.

Re: New install, not shifting or renaming file

David Nicholls-2
OK, it's still not working.  I did the defaults delete and defaults read process, copied over  the plist file (the other plist file was named edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.LSSharedFileList.plist )  Still the same.

I have tried installing an old version of Bibdesk (1.6.0) but no change.

There is also another difference from the behaviour I used to see:  I get Bibtex information on the papers I store from ADS Abstracts, e.g., http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2011A%26A...531A.132V

They have a link to the bibtex entry,  When I click on that link, I select the entry (starting at '@article' and ending at '}', then drag it from the web interface window in Bibdesk  to the Library (side panel) the data is inserted into the database.  What used to happen is that a small window would open in addition to the main window, so that I can paste in the abstract, and also insert the PDF file (which I had previously downloaded to the Desktop).

What happens now is that the data is inserted as a new entry, correctly, in the main library window, but the secondary window does not open.  I have to double click on the library entry to open it.

And the file is still not being renamed or moved to the papers folder (which in my case is ~/Documents/bibdesk)

The preferences all look good.

Something is odd about my system.

I have a much older MBP (2011) with Bibdesk on it, so next I'll try using that as the source of the plist files. And I'll delete the old application using CleanmyMac2, to be sure.

DN

(need to hit the hay now, it's 1am here)

On Oct 21, 2014, at 16:05, David Nicholls wrote:

> OK, it's still not working.

Are the preferences changed back? That's the real question, otherwise your problem could be something else.

>  I did the defaults delete and defaults read process,

It's not and-and, it's either-or.

> copied over  the plist file (the other plist file was named edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.LSSharedFileList.plist )

This one is not relevant.

>  Still the same.

Did you follow the steps exactly as they were shown? And you inserted the pref file from your old system? Ahev you checked whether the preferences are set in the Preferences?

> I have tried installing an old version of Bibdesk (1.6.0) but no change.

That should not be relevant.

> There is also another difference from the behaviour I used to see:  I get Bibtex information on the papers I store from ADS Abstracts, e.g., http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2011A%26A...531A.132V
>
> They have a link to the bibtex entry,  When I click on that link, I select the entry (starting at '@article' and ending at '}', then drag it from the web interface window in Bibdesk  to the Library (side panel) the data is inserted into the database.  What used to happen is that a small window would open in addition to the main window, so that I can paste in the abstract, and also insert the PDF file (which I had previously downloaded to the Desktop).
>
> What happens now is that the data is inserted as a new entry, correctly, in the main library window, but the secondary window does not open.  I have to double click on the library entry to open it.

That's probably also just another preference that is different, in this case in the General preferences.

> And the file is still not being renamed or moved to the papers folder (which in my case is ~/Documents/bibdesk)
>
> The preferences all look good.

What do you mean by "good"? Do you mean the preferences are what you want them to be, i.e. what they were on your old system rather than the default? Please don't use vague descriptions like "good" and "not working", that is not very helpful.

> Something is odd about my system.
>
> I have a much older MBP (2011) with Bibdesk on it, so next I'll try using that as the source of the plist files. And I'll delete the old application using CleanmyMac2, to be sure.
>
> DN
>
> (need to hit the hay now, it's 1am here)

When files are not auto filed, it can also be because not all information was provided in the bibtex entry. You can see this when you open the item, making sure you show the status bar. If the file should be filed but not all info is available, there is a little filing icon in it.

Christiaan

> On 22 Oct 2014, at 12:28 am, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 21, 2014, at 15:07, David Nicholls wrote:
>>
>>> I copied over both prefs files,
>>
>> Which "both"? There's only one.
>>
>>> etc, but no success.  It's still not moving or renaming the file.
>>>

>> Did you quit BibDesk before you did, and did you run the "defaults read" command from the Terminal?
>>
>> An alternative is:
>>
>> 1. Quit BibDesk
>> 2. Run "defaults delete ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist" in the Terminal
>> 3. Move the backup pref (from your old machine) into ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist
>>
>>> There's also a Bibdesk entry in ~/Library/Application Support, but its contents don't look like they'd have much impact on the problem.
>>>
>>> DN
>>
>> No, they are not involved in auto filing.
>>
>> Note that you can check it also in the AutoFile preference pane.
>>
>> Christiaan

Re: New install, not shifting or renaming file [Fixed]

David Nicholls-2
OK, fixed.  I deleted all the support files including the ~/Library/Caches entry, the ~/Library/Preferences entry, and the ~/Library/Application support entry.

I copied over the same files from on older install (1.5.8), and ran 1.6.3, which after a brief initial crash, worked fine.  I think the intermediate age install had been damaged by a meltdown last month, so wasn't a good place to source files from, but the older version is.  I'm not sure which of the files was the problem (cache, prefs or application support), but CleanMyMac2 identified the related parts and I removed and replaced them all.  Either way, it's now working and I can bead to bed!

DN