Nightly build launch problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Nightly build launch problem

Justin C. Walker
Hi, all:

I am running a nightly build (Version 1.6.5 (3713)), and when I launch BibDesk, I get an alert complaining that
    “BibDesk” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
and
   Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.


I go to System Preferences -> Security -> General, and click “Open Anyway”, and I get the same alert.

For completeness, I note that this pops up in Console when I do this:

16/1/27 21:49:55.689 CoreServicesUIAgent[318]: Error -60005 creating authorization
16/1/27 21:49:58.620 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000010.BibDesk[746]) Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9

Before I go grouse at Apple, I wanted to verify that this is an Apple issue.

Not having dealt with app signing, I’m not sure where to look.  Could the nightlys (or this one) be unsigned or signed with the wrong, what, provisioning, certs?

Thanks!

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker
Director
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income
--
Fame is fleeting, but obscurity
   just drags on and on.      F&E




------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Nightly build launch problem

Christiaan Hofman

On Jan 28, 2016, at 7:02, Justin C. Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, all:

I am running a nightly build (Version 1.6.5 (3713)), and when I launch BibDesk, I get an alert complaining that
   “BibDesk” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
and
  Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.


I go to System Preferences -> Security -> General, and click “Open Anyway”, and I get the same alert.

For completeness, I note that this pops up in Console when I do this:

16/1/27 21:49:55.689 CoreServicesUIAgent[318]: Error -60005 creating authorization
16/1/27 21:49:58.620 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000010.BibDesk[746]) Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9

Before I go grouse at Apple, I wanted to verify that this is an Apple issue.

Not having dealt with app signing, I’m not sure where to look.  Could the nightlys (or this one) be unsigned or signed with the wrong, what, provisioning, certs?

Thanks!

Justin


I think the certificate Adam uses to sign the nightly builds has expired. The fix for that would be for Adam to make a new one.

Christiaan


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Nightly build launch problem

Adam Maxwell

On Jan 28, 2016, at 02:18 , Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think the certificate Adam uses to sign the nightly builds has expired. The fix for that would be for Adam to make a new one.


I checked, and "BibDesk Signing Certificate" is still good for two more years, so the problem lies elsewhere. Did you change any of the codesign settings recently? If so, I may have to update from Xcode 6.2 (which might also require going from 10.9 to 10.11 on that machine).

-- 
Adam


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Nightly build launch problem

Christiaan Hofman

On Jan 28, 2016, at 16:59, Adam R. Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Jan 28, 2016, at 02:18 , Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think the certificate Adam uses to sign the nightly builds has expired. The fix for that would be for Adam to make a new one.


I checked, and "BibDesk Signing Certificate" is still good for two more years, so the problem lies elsewhere. Did you change any of the codesign settings recently? If so, I may have to update from Xcode 6.2 (which might also require going from 10.9 to 10.11 on that machine).

-- 
Adam

No, I haven’t changed any codesign settings.

So perhaps it is in Justin’s preference settings, that don’t allow apps from unregistered dev (such as us).

Christiaan


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Nightly build launch problem

Christiaan Hofman

On Jan 28, 2016, at 17:03, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Jan 28, 2016, at 16:59, Adam R. Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Jan 28, 2016, at 02:18 , Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think the certificate Adam uses to sign the nightly builds has expired. The fix for that would be for Adam to make a new one.


I checked, and "BibDesk Signing Certificate" is still good for two more years, so the problem lies elsewhere. Did you change any of the codesign settings recently? If so, I may have to update from Xcode 6.2 (which might also require going from 10.9 to 10.11 on that machine).

-- 
Adam

No, I haven’t changed any codesign settings.

So perhaps it is in Justin’s preference settings, that don’t allow apps from unregistered dev (such as us).

Christiaan


Although I have the same problem. I am not really sure what Apple means by “identified developers”, whether they must be registered with Apple or just code signed? I am able to open the BibDesk release though without problem. And it should basically be the same (though build with a newer Xcode version). 

I found that you can always open the BibDesk nightly by using the Open item in the contextual menu for the app, and and answering Yes. You only need to do that once (though I am not sure if it should be repeated with newer nightlies, because it’s not clear how Apple identifies apps you manually allow this way).

Christiaan


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Nightly build launch problem

Maxwell, Adam R-2

> On Jan 28, 2016, at 08:11, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Although I have the same problem. I am not really sure what Apple means by “identified developers”, whether they must be registered with Apple or just code signed? I am able to open the BibDesk release though without problem. And it should basically be the same (though build with a newer Xcode version).

Oh, I misunderstood (I also didn’t get Justin’s original email). Yeah, that alert has been around for a long time, and “Identified developer” means someone who pays for an Apple developer cert. For self-signed certificates, there’s an extra hoop to jump through.

> I found that you can always open the BibDesk nightly by using the Open item in the contextual menu for the app, and and answering Yes. You only need to do that once (though I am not sure if it should be repeated with newer nightlies, because it’s not clear how Apple identifies apps you manually allow this way).

That is the correct way to do it, and IME you have to do it each time you install a new version, even if it uses the same certificate (my opinion of Apple’s security theatrics is unprintable).

Adam

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance
APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month
Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now
Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=267308311&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users