Quantcast

Preview stops working after TeX Live 2013 upgrade

Preview stops working after TeX Live 2013 upgrade

Nigel Stanger
Hi first time on the list, so excuse me if this is a known question (I couldn’t find anything in the archives, though).

The preview in BibDesk has completely stopped working for me, complaining that it can’t find article.cls (which is is of course rather fundamental!). I recently upgraded to TeX Live 2013 (MacPorts), and I’m assuming that’s somehow caused the problem, as the preview certainly worked the last time I tried under TeX Live 2012 (although that was a while ago). I haven’t tried switching back to 2012 as that’s not just a matter of swapping the packages (see below).

I do use a custom template, but the problem persists even when I reset to the default. I have a bunch of environment variables pointing to various texmf trees, and the MacPorts TeX Live does have a tendency to swap these around for no apparently good reason during major upgrades. However, I’m well aware of this and have carefully checked multiple times that all are correct. No sneaky TEXINPUTS variables lurking around that I’m aware of.

I also tried the 20131130 nightly build yesterday with no success.

At this point I’ve run out of obvious ideas, so I’m open to suggestions. Thanks!

Log output from BibDesk follows.

==========
TeX preview generation failed.  Please review the log below to determine the cause.

---------- TeX log file ----------
File: "/var/folders/_b/g565mj_95kxgv2yqzh81n8cw0000gt/T/bibdesk.YGOsMJ/bibpreview/bibpreview.log"
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013/MacPorts 2013_3) (format=pdflatex 2013.11.26)  4 DEC 2013 12:40
entering extended mode
 restricted \write18 enabled.
 %&-line parsing enabled.
**bibpreview
(./bibpreview.tex
LaTeX2e <2011/06/27>
Babel <3.9f> and hyphenation patterns for 43 languages loaded.

! LaTeX Error: File `article.cls' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: cls)

Enter file name:
! Emergency stop.
<read *>

l.2 ^^M

*** (cannot \read from terminal in nonstop modes)

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 10 strings out of 494227
 211 string characters out of 6157703
 48213 words of memory out of 5000000
 3391 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+600000
 3640 words of font info for 14 fonts, out of 8000000 for 9000
 430 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
 10i,0n,7p,50b,8s stack positions out of 5000i,500n,10000p,200000b,80000s
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Re: Preview stops working after TeX Live 2013 upgrade

gweltaz
* Skriv a reas Nigel Stanger ([hidden email]):

  |>  The preview in BibDesk has completely stopped working for me, complaining that it can’t find article.cls (which is is of course rather fundamental!). I recently upgraded to TeX Live 2013 (MacPorts), and I’m assuming that’s somehow caused the problem, as the preview certainly worked the last time I tried under TeX Live 2012 (although that was a while ago). I haven’t tried switching back to 2012 as that’s not just a matter of swapping the packages (see below).

Just one suggestion. I use TeXlive 2013 (MacTeX, however). In Bibdesk preferences, my full path to pdflatex is: /usr/texbin/xelatex. I wonder if your bibdesk path points to your MacPorts installation.
 --Gildas

Re: Preview stops working after TeX Live 2013 upgrade

Nigel Stanger
On Wed Dec 04 2013 14:02:26, Gildas Hamel spake thus:

> Just one suggestion. I use TeXlive 2013 (MacTeX, however). In Bibdesk preferences, my full path to pdflatex is: /usr/texbin/xelatex. I wonder if your bibdesk path points to your MacPorts installation.

Yes, I had already checked that but forgot to mention it. It’s set to /opt/local/bin/pdflatex, which is a symlink to /opt/local/bin/pdftex, which is itself a symlink to /opt/local/libexec/texlive/binaries/pdftex :). Of course, just putting that in the path doesn’t help, because the TeX binaries change their behaviour based on the name they were run as (i.e., it runs as plain pdftex instead of pdflatex, and immediately breaks at the \documentclass macro).

Ah, there is also a /opt/local/libexec/texlive/binaries/pdflatex symlink… but that doesn’t work either. Actually, I would have been surprised if that had worked. Looking at the log output, pdflatex is clearly running OK, it just seems to have somehow completely lost all connection with the normal TeX infrastructure.

--
Nigel Stanger,                      mailto:[hidden email]
Dept. of Information Science,     http://divcom.otago.ac.nz/infosci/
University of Otago, Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND.       XNS: =Nigel Stanger

Re: Preview stops working after TeX Live 2013 upgrade

Nigel Stanger
On Wed Dec 04 2013 16:05:42, Nigel Stanger spake thus:

> I had already checked that but forgot to mention it.

I should also have mentioned that TeX Live seems to work just fine otherwise, which is what makes the BibDesk failure so peculiar. I had some brief hope a few minutes ago when a texlive-bin update arrived through MacPorts, but no change :(.

--
Nigel Stanger,                      mailto:[hidden email]
Dept. of Information Science,     http://divcom.otago.ac.nz/infosci/
University of Otago, Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND.       XNS: =Nigel Stanger

Re: Preview stops working after TeX Live 2013 upgrade

Adam R. Maxwell

On Dec 3, 2013, at 19:19 , Nigel Stanger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed Dec 04 2013 16:05:42, Nigel Stanger spake thus:
>>
>> I had already checked that but forgot to mention it.
>
> I should also have mentioned that TeX Live seems to work just fine otherwise, which is what makes the BibDesk failure so peculiar. I had some brief hope a few minutes ago when a texlive-bin update arrived through MacPorts, but no change :(.

I added logging of a few more environment variables which might give us a better shot at diagnosing this. I'm spinning a new nightly build right now, and it should be uploaded in 15 minutes or so with a filename corresponding to 03 December. Give it a try and post the log output again.

Another thing: when it fails, cd to the working directory for the preview in Terminal and try running pdflatex/bibtex directly (the path will be listed in the log, or you can cmd-click the PDF proxy icon in the preview panel to get it).

regards,
Adam

Re: Preview stops working after TeX Live 2013 upgrade

Nigel Stanger
Aha! I figured it out. I’d forgotten that OS X changed the way environment variables are set globally for GUI apps. In 10.7 you used ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, but in 10.8 onwards you use /etc/launchd.conf. Of course, I edited the wrong one, which had no effect on BibDesk, but everything still worked at the command line because that uses a different initialisation mechanism. I fixed the TEXMF* variables in launchd.conf, rebooted, and now everything is working again.

Thanks for the help!

On Dec 04, 2013, at 02:30 PM, Nigel Stanger <[hidden email]> wrote:

Aha! I figured it out. I’d forgotten that OS X changed the way environment variables are set globally for GUI apps. In 10.7 you used ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, but in 10.8 onwards you use /etc/launchd.conf.

I thought they killed environment.plist in 10.7? Regardless, it is indeed gone, and you need to use one of the functioning launchd files. Just don't rely on the man page for accurate information.

Of course, I edited the wrong one, which had no effect on BibDesk, but everything still worked at the command line because that uses a different initialisation mechanism. I fixed the TEXMF* variables in launchd.conf, rebooted, and now everything is working again.

Glad you figured it out. This is precisely why I added logging of TEX* envvars for the TeX preview last night, since I've had bad experiences with clever users setting various path variables (which play hob with the TeX Live Utility program that I maintain). With that in mind, I strongly recommend that users DO NOT SET ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES LIKE THIS! Problems that arise from this technique are an absolute nightmare to debug, since users invariably a) forget that they edited these files and b) override them in the shell, so things "work" in Terminal.

Adam

Re: Preview stops working after TeX Live 2013 upgrade

Nigel Stanger
On Thu Dec 05 2013 11:54:46, Adam R. Maxwell spake thus:
> I thought they killed environment.plist in 10.7?

Opinion seems to be a bit split on whether it was killed in 10.7, but they certainly at least deprecated it. On my 10.7 machine at home the BibDesk preview works just fine with the environment variables set through environment.plist, who knows?

> This is precisely why I added logging of TEX* envvars for the TeX preview last night

Nice!

> With that in mind, I strongly recommend that users DO NOT SET ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES LIKE THIS!

…unless you really know what you’re doing :). I did have good reasons for setting them up this way, but I’m also well aware that I did this and know what to do when there’s a problem. That said, I’m thinking maybe I should change them so that they’re not quite the same as the names in texmf.cnf…

Thanks!

On Dec 4, 2013, at 20:18 , Nigel Stanger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu Dec 05 2013 11:54:46, Adam R. Maxwell spake thus:
>> This is precisely why I added logging of TEX* envvars for the TeX preview last night
>
> Nice!

TeX Live Utility goes even further, and resets all TeX-related environment variables…and logs as nasty a warning as I can get away with.

>> With that in mind, I strongly recommend that users DO NOT SET ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES LIKE THIS!
>
> …unless you really know what you’re doing :). I did have good reasons for setting them up this way, but I’m also well aware that I did this and know what to do when there’s a problem. That said, I’m thinking maybe I should change them so that they’re not quite the same as the names in texmf.cnf…

Yeah, I'll admit to using it for CVS_RSH=ssh back in the day, so I know there are cases where it really helps, and may be the only way to make something work. However, I've literally spent days debugging problems related to this; the last one was a guy who set his umask to 077 using one of the launchd config files (the one not mentioned in the man page!). I was kind of hoping people wouldn't find out about them :-).

Adam

Re: Preview stops working after TeX Live 2013 upgrade

François Boone
Hi,

I have 10.9 installed on my Mac.
I use TexLive 2013
I have Bibdesk Version 1.6.1 (2861) and Tex Live Utility Version 1.17 (1.17): there is no update available for these two softwares.

And Tex preview doesn't work any more.
What I have to do to fix the problem ?  Previous emails are a little bit too high level for me.

Thank you
F.

Le 2013-12-05 à 00:06, Adam R. Maxwell <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Dec 4, 2013, at 20:18 , Nigel Stanger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu Dec 05 2013 11:54:46, Adam R. Maxwell spake thus:
>>> This is precisely why I added logging of TEX* envvars for the TeX preview last night
>>
>> Nice!
>
> TeX Live Utility goes even further, and resets all TeX-related environment variables…and logs as nasty a warning as I can get away with.
>

>>> With that in mind, I strongly recommend that users DO NOT SET ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES LIKE THIS!
>>
>> …unless you really know what you’re doing :). I did have good reasons for setting them up this way, but I’m also well aware that I did this and know what to do when there’s a problem. That said, I’m thinking maybe I should change them so that they’re not quite the same as the names in texmf.cnf…
>
> Yeah, I'll admit to using it for CVS_RSH=ssh back in the day, so I know there are cases where it really helps, and may be the only way to make something work. However, I've literally spent days debugging problems related to this; the last one was a guy who set his umask to 077 using one of the launchd config files (the one not mentioned in the man page!). I was kind of hoping people wouldn't find out about them :-).
>
> Adam

Re: Preview stops working after TeX Live 2013 upgrade

Maxwell, Adam R-2

On Dec 5, 2013, at 12:24, François Boone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And Tex preview doesn't work any more.
> What I have to do to fix the problem ?  Previous emails are a little bit too high level for me.

Same thing I posted a few days ago. We need to see the log from the TeX Preview window (use the previewer in the Windows menu, switch to the Log tab, and copy the output here).

Re: Preview stops working after TeX Live 2013 upgrade

François Boone
Hi,

I have fifteen logs: from 2013-10-12 02:23:20 +0000 to 2013-12-05 16:06:29 +0000
Which one is relevant ?

F.

On Dec 5, 2013, at 16:11, François Boone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have fifteen logs: from 2013-10-12 02:23:20 +0000 to 2013-12-05 16:06:29 +0000
> Which one is relevant ?

http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/manual/BibDesk%20Help_30.html#SEC70

There is a tab that says "Log" instead of "Text" as shown in the graphic. Click that Log tab and it will show you the TeX log output.

Re: Preview stops working after TeX Live 2013 upgrade

François Boone
Hi,

Ouch! I was very tired...
First, I gave you information about Tex Live Utility.
Then, I didn't check the box to activate tex preview in BibTex........

Oups.
So, everything is ok. I am sorry.
F.