Query about auto-file

KIDWELL Jeremy
Hi All,

I’m wondering if anyone has come up with a clever way of setting up auto-file to avoid certain unsavoury characters. I’m think here particularly of the characters which may appear in a title which will subvert synchronisation on a service like MS OneDrive if they appear in the filename (i.e. \ / : * ? ” < > | ). I realise I could just set up my autofile to exclude titles, but would like to first see if there is a way of renaming these characters either programmatically or within bibdesk proper.

Thanks for any+all ideas.

Best,
Jeremy

---
Jeremy Kidwell
AHRC/ESRC Post-doctoral Fellow
School of Divinity, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Query about auto-file

Christiaan Hofman

On Mar 8, 2016, at 13:53, KIDWELL Jeremy <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

I’m wondering if anyone has come up with a clever way of setting up auto-file to avoid certain unsavoury characters. I’m think here particularly of the characters which may appear in a title which will subvert synchronisation on a service like MS OneDrive if they appear in the filename (i.e. \ / : * ? ” < > | ). I realise I could just set up my autofile to exclude titles, but would like to first see if there is a way of renaming these characters either programmatically or within bibdesk proper.

Thanks for any+all ideas.

Best,
Jeremy

One thing you may do is add a script hook for Did Auto File, and rename the file there if its name contains any of these characters. The “new values” property of the script hook contains the generated path of the auto-filed file.

Re: Query about auto-file

Christiaan Hofman

On Mar 8, 2016, at 17:52, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Christiaan

I forgot about the simplest option. If you go to the Advanced section of the Auto File preferences, you can select extra cleaning options for the generated path. The Windows option doe exactly what you want.