Quantcast

RTF/text preview in the TeX Preview window

RTF/text preview in the TeX Preview window

Nathan A. Paxton
Dear all,

In my Tex Preview window (the one access by Shift-Cmd-T), I have a PDF preview tab and a log tab but not a text/rtf preview tab. How can I get the Text tab to return? Is this a hidden preference, perhaps?

-----
Nathan A. Paxton, Ph.D.

napaxton AT post DOT harvard DOT edu (forwarder)
When you have to stay eight years away from California,
you live in a perpetual state of homesickness.
        - Ronald Reagan

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself.
Aloud.
        -Coco Chanel

-----
Nathan Paxton, Ph.D.

napaxton AT post DOT harvard DOT edu (forwarder)
http://www.american.edu/sis/faculty/napaxton.cfm
Far better an approximate answer to the right question,
which is often vague, than an exact answer to the wrong
question, which can always be made precise.
—John Tukey

Re: RTF/text preview in the TeX Preview window

Christiaan Hofman

On Jan 28, 2014, at 22:35, Nathan A. Paxton wrote:

Dear all,

In my Tex Preview window (the one access by Shift-Cmd-T), I have a PDF preview tab and a log tab but not a text/rtf preview tab. How can I get the Text tab to return? Is this a hidden preference, perhaps?

<Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 11.09.48 AM.png>
-----
Nathan A. Paxton, Ph.D.

No, this has been removed. It depended on a third party tool that was not reliable, including causing crashes. And the main reason for its existence is not relevant anymore.

Re: RTF/text preview in the TeX Preview window

Maxwell, Adam R-2

On Jan 28, 2014, at 13:45, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, this has been removed. It depended on a third party tool that was not reliable, including causing crashes. And the main reason for its existence is not relevant anymore.

You can now copy formatted text from the PDF preview panel just by selecting and copying. The RTF feature was from the days of OS X 10.2/10.3, when you couldn't select text in a PDF.

Adam

Re: RTF/text preview in the TeX Preview window

Nathan A. Paxton
        Many thanks for a quick and helpful response!

-Nathan

On 28 Jan 2014, at 5:06 PM, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2014, at 13:45, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> No, this has been removed. It depended on a third party tool that was not reliable, including causing crashes. And the main reason for its existence is not relevant anymore.
>
> You can now copy formatted text from the PDF preview panel just by selecting and copying. The RTF feature was from the days of OS X 10.2/10.3, when you couldn't select text in a PDF.
>
> Adam

Re: RTF/text preview in the TeX Preview window

Ken Mankoff
I was recently looking for the RTF text because when I copy the PDF, I lose all formatting. Journals are no longer italic, and certain words keep their hyph- enation, etc. This is on OS X 10.9. Do others have italics and other formatting working properly?

  -k.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Nathan A. Paxton <[hidden email]> wrote:
        Many thanks for a quick and helpful response!

-Nathan

On 28 Jan 2014, at 5:06 PM, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2014, at 13:45, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> No, this has been removed. It depended on a third party tool that was not reliable, including causing crashes. And the main reason for its existence is not relevant anymore.
>
> You can now copy formatted text from the PDF preview panel just by selecting and copying. The RTF feature was from the days of OS X 10.2/10.3, when you couldn't select text in a PDF.
>
> Adam

Re: RTF/text preview in the TeX Preview window

Adam R. Maxwell

On Jan 30, 2014, at 18:07 , Ken Mankoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

I was recently looking for the RTF text because when I copy the PDF, I lose all formatting. Journals are no longer italic, and certain words keep their hyph- enation, etc. This is on OS X 10.9. Do others have italics and other formatting working properly?

Yes, italics and other formatting are preserved (and so are hyphens in line breaks, unfortunately). Does it change if you use a different font, or install the Latin Modern fonts for GUI apps? I just tried pasting into TextEdit on 10.9, and had no problems.

Adam

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM, Adam R. Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, italics and other formatting are preserved (and so are hyphens in line breaks, unfortunately). Does it change if you use a different font, or install the Latin Modern fonts for GUI apps? I just tried pasting into TextEdit on 10.9, and had no problems.

I opened FontBook and searched for "Latin" and I do not have that installed. The bibdesk preview template is unmodified and uses the default LaTeX font. When I paste into TextEdit, making sure it is in RTF mode, I can use Helvetica or Times or any other font and the bold and italics do not show up.

I will try to install Latin Modern and see if that helps.

  -k.

Re: RTF/text preview in the TeX Preview window

Nathan A. Paxton
So I'm having the same problem. I'm on 10.7.5, with the latest BD.

I copy from the floating preview window in BD, paste into Scrivener or TextEdit, and the formatting disappears. This is with a Cmd-V paste, not a Shift-Option-Cmd-V.

-N
-----
Nathan Paxton

If every professor who backed a lunatic politician were to be sacked, half the interesting minds in academia would be lost.
- The Economist, 5 Jan 2002

On Feb 3, 2014, at 08:10, Nathan A. Paxton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I'm having the same problem. I'm on 10.7.5, with the latest BD.
>
> I copy from the floating preview window in BD, paste into Scrivener or TextEdit, and the formatting disappears. This is with a Cmd-V paste, not a Shift-Option-Cmd-V.

Sorry about that; I must have some template change that makes it work. Try adding

\usepackage{lmodern}

in the preview template. It's also worked for me with XeTeX, but that's a bit slower to typeset.

Adam