Quantcast

Release engineer

Dr. Adam M. Goldstein PhD MSLIS-35
Greetings all

Due to a new set of professional commitments, my time for engineering new releases of BibDesk is sharply limited. I will chip in when I can, but it’s not going to be very often—once or twice a year, looking at recent months. If there is someone out there with access to sourceforge.net who has some experience with Xcode, I hope that person will step forward. Otherwise, it will fall to Christiaan, who has been shouldering much of the load developing BibDesk.

Best

Adam

————————
Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
http://www.shiftingbalance.org
http://www.twitter.com/z_californianus
--
http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=180621
---

Re: Release engineer

Ken Mankoff
What is involved/required/expected?

Please excuse brevity. Sent from pocket computer with tiny non-haptic feedback keyboard.

On Dec 4, 2014, at 2:09, "Dr. Adam M. Goldstein PhD MSLIS" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Greetings all

Due to a new set of professional commitments, my time for engineering new releases of BibDesk is sharply limited. I will chip in when I can, but it’s not going to be very often—once or twice a year, looking at recent months. If there is someone out there with access to sourceforge.net who has some experience with Xcode, I hope that person will step forward. Otherwise, it will fall to Christiaan, who has been shouldering much of the load developing BibDesk.

Best

Adam

Re: Release engineer

Dr. Adam M. Goldstein PhD MSLIS-36
You have to create an svn repository on your Mac with the BibDesk code, then, when it's time for a release, compile the code using XCode, edit the release notes, create a dmg on your desktop, upload the dmg to sourceforge, and then send mail to the various mailing lists. Compiling using XCode is entirely gui-driven, and the other stuff amounts to moving some files around and editing text files.

As Christiaan says, there's a how-to document that's pretty clear. If you have questions, you can ask the developer list.

When you think it's time for a release, check around on the user and developer lists, to see if there are bugs, or work in progress that people want to finish up before the release. If a bunch of new features have been added, a release is probably a good idea.

I have had a hard time getting my machine to cache the svn credentials, for reasons that appear to be totally particular to my machine. I have spent much time troubleshooting, to no avail. I just upgraded to Yosemite, so I will probably have to start from again on a new round of issues with that. Over the December holidays, I'll have some time, so maybe I can figure it all out then. If there were a few people who could go the release, we could get them out more often, with less work for each of us.

I like doing the releases and I have learned a lot by doing them. I'm not much of a coder, beyond awk scripting and some shell scripts, so it's not like I bring a lot of expertise. The first time takes a while, and you might have to stop and come back to it. But once everything is in place, you can do it in around an hour, especially if you remember the steps from the last time.

In any case, if you or someone else reading this is inclined to give it a try, please do!

Adam
————————
Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
----