Search linked PDFs with Applescript in BibDesk

Search linked PDFs with Applescript in BibDesk

Jeremy Van Cleve
Hello,

Since I have a very large PDF library in BibDesk and often like to
search the PDF contents with Spotlight, I came up with an Applescript
that does this and then saves the results in a static group

http://tuvalu.santafe.edu/~vancleve/wp-content/software/Spotlight%20Search.scpt

Right now, its fairly slow for a large number of search results and a
large .bib library, but definitely faster than having to reindex the
file content of a large PDF collection. Any suggestions are welcome!

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Van Cleve

Postdoctoral Fellow
National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent)
Phone: (919) 668-4044
E-mail: [hidden email]
Webpage: http://www.duke.edu/~jv72/

Re: Search linked PDFs with Applescript in BibDesk

Maxwell, Adam R-2

On May 13, 2014, at 14:27, Jeremy Van Cleve <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> Right now, its fairly slow for a large number of search results and a
> large .bib library, but definitely faster than having to reindex the
> file content of a large PDF collection. Any suggestions are welcome!

Curious to know why you're not using the built-in file content search?
It should be really fast after the initial indexing.

adam

Re: Search linked PDFs with Applescript in BibDesk

Jeremy Van Cleve
Hi Adam,

Yes, certainly its faster after the initial index. However, with almost
7k references, BibDesk crashes occasionally and I get impatient with the
indexing after restarting and go to the command line and use Spotlight.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Van Cleve

Postdoctoral Fellow
National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent)
Phone: (919) 668-4044
E-mail: [hidden email]
Webpage: http://www.duke.edu/~jv72/

Re: Search linked PDFs with Applescript in BibDesk

Adam R. Maxwell

On May 13, 2014, at 18:02 , Jeremy Van Cleve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, certainly its faster after the initial index. However, with almost
> 7k references, BibDesk crashes occasionally and I get impatient with the
> indexing after restarting and go to the command line and use Spotlight.

It should never crash! Have you filed a bug report and attached crash
logs? The number of references will only affect initial indexing time,
in theory, since the index is saved to disk. It would be great to look
at the crash logs and see what's going on.

thanks,
Adam

Re: Search linked PDFs with Applescript in BibDesk

Jeremy Van Cleve
I'll definitely send in a bug report next time it crashes :-)

Looking at the help
(http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/manual/BibDesk%20Help_12.html#SEC40), I
was under the impression that the index would get rebuilt every time I
close and reopen the document, but now that I'm looking again, it does
seem to be verifying the index after reopening rather than rebuilding.

I must have just not noticed this; definitely awesome!

--
Jeremy Van Cleve

Postdoctoral Fellow
National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent)
Phone: (919) 668-4044
E-mail: [hidden email]
Webpage: http://www.duke.edu/~jv72/

Re: Search linked PDFs with Applescript in BibDesk

Christiaan Hofman

On May 14, 2014, at 8:19, Jeremy Van Cleve wrote:

I'll definitely send in a bug report next time it crashes :-)

Looking at the help
(http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/manual/BibDesk%20Help_12.html#SEC40), I
was under the impression that the index would get rebuilt every time I
close and reopen the document, but now that I'm looking again, it does
seem to be verifying the index after reopening rather than rebuilding.

The wording is not really correct here, I think. It is not fully rebuilt, only checked and updated. Though it does mention that it is only slow the first time, and faster later.

Christiaan

I must have just not noticed this; definitely awesome!

On 5/13/14, 10:20 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

On May 13, 2014, at 18:02 , Jeremy Van Cleve <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, certainly its faster after the initial index. However, with almost
7k references, BibDesk crashes occasionally and I get impatient with the
indexing after restarting and go to the command line and use Spotlight.

It should never crash! Have you filed a bug report and attached crash
logs? The number of references will only affect initial indexing time,
in theory, since the index is saved to disk. It would be great to look
at the crash logs and see what's going on.

thanks,
Adam
--
Jeremy Van Cleve

Re: Search linked PDFs with Applescript in BibDesk

Maxwell, Adam R-2

On May 14, 2014, at 01:52, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

On May 14, 2014, at 8:19, Jeremy Van Cleve wrote:

I'll definitely send in a bug report next time it crashes :-)

Looking at the help
(http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/manual/BibDesk%20Help_12.html#SEC40), I
was under the impression that the index would get rebuilt every time I
close and reopen the document, but now that I'm looking again, it does
seem to be verifying the index after reopening rather than rebuilding.

The wording is not really correct here, I think. It is not fully rebuilt, only checked and updated. Though it does mention that it is only slow the first time, and faster later.

Looks like the documentation (or at least that snapshot of it) is based on the original implementation, which didn't save the index to disk.

--
Adam