Secondary highlights for group membership in Yosemite

Secondary highlights for group membership in Yosemite

Jan Jakob Bornheim
In Yosemite, BibDesk seems to no longer indicate the groups a selected publication is in. If I recall correctly, pre-Yosemite, the behaviour was that a dark grey or purple would indicate the currently selected group, a lighter shade of grey would highlight all other groups a selected publication is in. In Yosemite, I can no longer see this behaviour. See the attached screenshot. Since the selected publication is an article, the @article group should be highlighted. The selected publication is also a member of the static group "Th19: International Restitution Law” and of the “Thesis” group, but obviously, you will have to take my word for that. Neither of these two groups is highlighted.

Can anybody confirm this is a software, rather than a user issue?

Cheers,
Jan Jakob

Re: Secondary highlights for group membership in Yosemite

gweltaz
* Skriv a reas Jan Jakob Bornheim ([hidden email]):
  |>  In Yosemite, BibDesk seems to no longer indicate the groups a selected publication is in. If I recall correctly, pre-Yosemite, the behaviour was that a dark grey or purple would indicate the currently selected group, a lighter shade of grey would highlight all other groups a selected publication is in.
  |>
  |>  Can anybody confirm this is a software, rather than a user issue?

Yes, I see this behavior on OS 10.10, MB air 2011. I hadn't noticed before.
--Gildas

On Oct 22, 2014, at 19:50, Jan Jakob Bornheim wrote:

In Yosemite, BibDesk seems to no longer indicate the groups a selected publication is in. If I recall correctly, pre-Yosemite, the behaviour was that a dark grey or purple would indicate the currently selected group, a lighter shade of grey would highlight all other groups a selected publication is in. In Yosemite, I can no longer see this behaviour. See the attached screenshot. Since the selected publication is an article, the @article group should be highlighted. The selected publication is also a member of the static group "Th19: International Restitution Law” and of the “Thesis” group, but obviously, you will have to take my word for that. Neither of these two groups is highlighted.

Can anybody confirm this is a software, rather than a user issue?

Cheers,
Jan Jakob
<Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 19.45.37.png>

This may well be. It seems Yosemite is not using the documented method, that we use, to draw the selection highlights. I have no idea what it is using instead to draw the highlight, so I therefore have no idea how we could get this back.

Re: Secondary highlights for group membership in Yosemite

Christiaan Hofman

On Oct 22, 2014, at 22:52, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

[...]

Correct that, I think I found a way to bring it back. This should be available in the next nightly build (whenever that is, hopefully tomorrow)

On 23 Oct, 2014, at 00:09, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Just downloaded the build from 2014-10-26 and it is back. Cheers! Personally, I would say that the “secondary highlights” with their rounded borders look even better than the primary selection, which is a plain rectangle (I attached a screenshot because I am not sure whether the difference in appearance is intentional; “!Starred” is the selected group with the primary highlight, all the others are secondary highlights), but the important thing is to have the functionality back. Thank you!

On Oct 26, 2014, at 13:56, Jan Jakob Bornheim wrote:

[...]

Can't say, as I don't see the screenshots. It probably is unintentional, OSX has over time become a lot blander, while we have not changed these secondary highlights for quite a while.

Re: Secondary highlights for group membership in Yosemite

Kyle
I am experiencing this same problem
-secondary highlights not displaying for bibtex in OS Yosemite.

I am currently using BibDesk 1.6.3.

When I select *Check For Updates*, I receive:
"BibDesk 1.6.3 is currently the newest version available."

Please let me know if I should:
- revert to 1.6.2, or
- reinstall BibDesk to get this capability.

Thank you!

You can replace the release version of BibDesk with the newest nightly build from http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net to get this behaviour back.

Cheers,
Jan Jakob

Re: Secondary highlights for group membership in Yosemite

Kyle

> You can replace the release version of BibDesk with the newest nightly build
from http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net to get this behaviour back.

> Cheers,
> Jan Jakob

Thank you for the help and link!  Fully functional.

Re: Secondary highlights for group membership in Yosemite

Shodan
Greetings,

Being rather new to BibDesk, can anyone tell me how to have the Skim notes show up in the side panel like the screenshot Jan Jakob Bornheim posted on October 22, 2014?

Thanks and cheers,

Jason

On Nov 19, 2014, at 21:38, Shodan wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Being rather new to BibDesk, can anyone tell me how to have the Skim notes show up in the side panel like the screenshot Jan Jakob Bornheim posted on October 22, 2014?
>
> Thanks and cheers,
>
> Jason

You need a custom template that contain the Skim notes for the linked files. There is some more info about templates on the Wiki, including some sample templates, at least one of them also contains Skim notes.

Christiaan

> On Oct 22, 2014, at 1:50 PM, Jan Jakob Bornheim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In Yosemite, BibDesk seems to no longer indicate the groups a selected publication is in. If I recall correctly, pre-Yosemite, the behaviour was that a dark grey or purple would indicate the currently selected group, a lighter shade of grey would highlight all other groups a selected publication is in. In Yosemite, I can no longer see this behaviour. See the attached screenshot. Since the selected publication is an article, the @article group should be highlighted. The selected publication is also a member of the static group "Th19: International Restitution Law” and of the “Thesis” group, but obviously, you will have to take my word for that. Neither of these two groups is highlighted.
>>
>> Can anybody confirm this is a software, rather than a user issue?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jan Jakob
>> <Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 19.45.37.png>

Re: Side template showing Skim notes

Jan Jakob Bornheim

On 19 Nov, 2014, at 22:22, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 19, 2014, at 21:38, Shodan wrote:

Greetings,

Being rather new to BibDesk, can anyone tell me how to have the Skim notes show up in the side panel like the screenshot Jan Jakob Bornheim posted on October 22, 2014?

Thanks and cheers,

Jason

You need a custom template that contain the Skim notes for the linked files. There is some more info about templates on the Wiki, including some sample templates, at least one of them also contains Skim notes.

Christiaan

The template I use is based on this one: http://ug.bu.edu/blog/lingtech/2009/03/22/even-better-bibdesk-preview-pane/, albeit heavily modified.

As you can see, it uses a CSS/HTML based template.

I use the <$textSkimNotes/> key to get the sorted Skim notes. Since there is no way for BibDesk itself to retrieve the Skim notes sorted by page position in a template file , I also had to modify the Skim template that determines the result of the <$textSkimNotes/> (that is notesTemplate.txt in ~/Library/Application Support/Skim/Templates) in order to nest different note types based on type and highlight colour in different divs (which is why in my screenshot, some “notes” appear as clickable links, those were section headings that I highlight in a different colour).

So in summary, the content of the part of the sidebar template that displays the Skim notes is something like this:

<$SkimNotes?>
<h3>Skim Notes:</h3>
<$textSkimNotes/>
</$SkimNotes?>

The content of <$textSkimNotes/> is a function of the notesTemplate.txt file, which looks something like this:

<$notes.@arraySortedByPageIndexAndBounds>
<$type=Highlight?>
<$textContents?>
<$color=NSDeviceRGBColorSpace 1 0.149131 0 1?>
<?$color=NSDeviceRGBColorSpace 1 0.149134 1.01977e-06 1?>
<?$color=NSDeviceRGBColorSpace 0 0.714682 1 1?>
<?$color=NSDeviceRGBColorSpace 0.999424 0.985554 0 1?>
<?$color=NSDeviceRGBColorSpace 0.986264 0.996537 0.0771834 1?>
<?$color=NSDeviceRGBColorSpace 1 0.576371 3.14053e-06 1?>
<?$color=NSDeviceRGBColorSpace 1 0.576372 0 1?>
<?$color?>
</$color?>
<?$textContents?>
</$textContents?>
<?$type=Underline?>
<?$type=Note?>
<?$type=FreeText?>
<?$type?>
No matching template for this type of note.
</$type?>
</$notes.@arraySortedByPageIndexAndBounds>

The different div classes used in the Skim template, in turn, however, are defined in the BibDesk template.

PS: The skimmer-x part in my template is based on my custom URL scheme based on this one (http://jones.kaist.edu/notebook/2012/09/creating-a-custom-url-scheme-via-applescript-and-python.html) but taking advantage of the effect that the link is displayed in BibDesk and – provided the publication has only one local file – I can thus determine the current location of the file.

Cheers,
Jan Jakob