Quantcast

Sorting scriptingSkimNotes in template or changing template for textSkimNotes

Sorting scriptingSkimNotes in template or changing template for textSkimNotes

Jan Jakob Bornheim
Hello,

I am currently in the process of fine-tuning my preview template. I noticed that if I insert the content of Skim Notes via the <$textSkimNotes/> value, the notes are sorted by page and bounds. If I instead do it via the scriptingSkimNotes collection ("<$scriptingSkimNotes><$contents/></$scriptingSkimNotes>”) they are not sorted. I would prefer the latter option because it would allow easier filtering of what types/colors,etc. of notes are displayed in the preview, but I would also like to have the notes sorted by page and bound rather than creation date. So the question:

Does anyone know if I can somehow sort scriptingSkimNotes by page and bounds?

If no, is there a template I can modify to change the output of <$textSkimNotes/>?

Modifying notesTemplate.txt in Application Support/Skim/Templates does not change the output in BibDesk, at least not as far as my preview template is concerned.

Cheers,

Jan Jakob

Re: Sorting scriptingSkimNotes in template or changing template for textSkimNotes

Christiaan Hofman

On Aug 13, 2014, at 22:32, Jan Jakob Bornheim wrote:

Hello,

I am currently in the process of fine-tuning my preview template. I noticed that if I insert the content of Skim Notes via the <$textSkimNotes/> value, the notes are sorted by page and bounds. If I instead do it via the scriptingSkimNotes collection ("<$scriptingSkimNotes><$contents/></$scriptingSkimNotes>”) they are not sorted. I would prefer the latter option because it would allow easier filtering of what types/colors,etc. of notes are displayed in the preview, but I would also like to have the notes sorted by page and bound rather than creation date.

textSkimNotes is the text representation of the skim notes, as saved with the PDF file. It is determined *at saving time* by the Skim text template, so it is not generated from the Skim notes themselves) by BibDesk. This means that the sorting is as specified in the Skim text note template (if not the default.)

On the other hand, scriptingSkimNotes is generated from the Skim notes themselves.

So the question:

Does anyone know if I can somehow sort scriptingSkimNotes by page and bounds?

No, you cannot sort those in a template.

If no, is there a template I can modify to change the output of <$textSkimNotes/>?

No, because (for BibDesk) it is just text, it has no more structure.

Modifying notesTemplate.txt in Application Support/Skim/Templates does not change the output in BibDesk, at least not as far as my preview template is concerned.

Cheers,

Jan Jakob

It will change the output (from textSkimNotes), but only *after* saving from Skim, as noted above.

[...]

Christiaan

Okay, the fact that changing the notesTemplate.txt only affects the contents after saving the PDF is the important bit I missed. Resaving all PDFs is a bit tedious, but easily automatable. Thanks! It’s a bit less elegant than doing it via the scriptingSkimNotes route, but it does what I want.