Template for Talks

Ken Mankoff
Hi Bibdesk List,

I'm wondering if anyone has a system for tracking talks in Bibdesk.
I've added a new type called "Talk" with Required and Optional
fields, so I can record them, but the reference list produced by
Bibdesk just has title and date, none of the other important fields.
Do I need to create a template for this? Has anyone produced
something similar?

Thanks,

    -k.

Re: Template for Talks

Christiaan Hofman
What reference list are you talking about?

If you're talking about bibtex output (AOT to bibdesk), then basically
yes, you need to write another style or modify an existing one. Note
that templates are used for preview, export, and copying.

Christiaan

On 29 Sep 2008, at 3:31 PM, Ken Mankoff wrote:

> Hi Bibdesk List,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has a system for tracking talks in Bibdesk.
> I've added a new type called "Talk" with Required and Optional
> fields, so I can record them, but the reference list produced by
> Bibdesk just has title and date, none of the other important fields.
> Do I need to create a template for this? Has anyone produced
> something similar?
>
> Thanks,
>
>    -k.

Re: Template for Talks

James Howison-3
Unless you are going to hack the bibtex style files you will be better
served by using existing styles (a lot can be done with @misc)

Or I'm told that biblatex is convenient for creating formatting for
custom styles.

On Sep 29, 2008, at 9:31 AM, Ken Mankoff wrote:

> Hi Bibdesk List,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has a system for tracking talks in Bibdesk.
> I've added a new type called "Talk" with Required and Optional
> fields, so I can record them, but the reference list produced by
> Bibdesk just has title and date, none of the other important fields.
> Do I need to create a template for this? Has anyone produced
> something similar?
>
> Thanks,
>
>    -k.

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: Template for Talks

Ken Mankoff
Hi Christiaan,

I did mean bibtex output when I said reference list. Not sure what
AOT means. Searching a bit more on 'bibtex' rather than 'bibdesk' it
seems people put talks as "Unpublished" and extra info in the notes
field, in which case everything is handled quite well.

This leads to a new question: When making Smart Groups, what field
do I search on to limit to a certain publication type. I tried to
set "type" to "unpublished" but nothing shows up...

Thanks,

    -k.

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> What reference list are you talking about?
>
> If you're talking about bibtex output (AOT to bibdesk), then
> basically yes, you need to write another style or modify an
> existing one. Note that templates are used for preview, export,
> and copying.
>
> Christiaan
>
> On 29 Sep 2008, at 3:31 PM, Ken Mankoff wrote:
>
>> Hi Bibdesk List,
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone has a system for tracking talks in Bibdesk.
>> I've added a new type called "Talk" with Required and Optional
>> fields, so I can record them, but the reference list produced by
>> Bibdesk just has title and date, none of the other important fields.
>> Do I need to create a template for this? Has anyone produced
>> something similar?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>   -k.

Re: Template for Talks

Adam M. Goldstein-4

On Sep 29, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Ken Mankoff wrote:

> Hi Christiaan,
>
> I did mean bibtex output when I said reference list. Not sure what
> AOT means.

"AOT" = "As Opposed To"

Right?

> Searching a bit more on 'bibtex' rather than 'bibdesk' it
> seems people put talks as "Unpublished" and extra info in the notes
> field, in which case everything is handled quite well.
>
> This leads to a new question: When making Smart Groups, what field
> do I search on to limit to a certain publication type. I tried to
> set "type" to "unpublished" but nothing shows up...
>
> Thanks,
>
>    -k.
>
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>
>> What reference list are you talking about?
>>
>> If you're talking about bibtex output (AOT to bibdesk), then
>> basically yes, you need to write another style or modify an
>> existing one. Note that templates are used for preview, export,
>> and copying.
>>
>> Christiaan
>>
>> On 29 Sep 2008, at 3:31 PM, Ken Mankoff wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bibdesk List,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if anyone has a system for tracking talks in Bibdesk.
>>> I've added a new type called "Talk" with Required and Optional
>>> fields, so I can record them, but the reference list produced by
>>> Bibdesk just has title and date, none of the other important fields.
>>> Do I need to create a template for this? Has anyone produced
>>> something similar?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>  -k.

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

------------------
Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
http://www.iona.edu/faculty/agoldstein
--
(914) 637-2717

Re: Template for Talks

Alex Hamann

On 29.09.2008, at 17:43, Ken Mankoff wrote:

> Hi Christiaan,
>
> I did mean bibtex output when I said reference list. Not sure what
> AOT means. Searching a bit more on 'bibtex' rather than 'bibdesk' it
> seems people put talks as "Unpublished" and extra info in the notes
> field, in which case everything is handled quite well.
>
> This leads to a new question: When making Smart Groups, what field
> do I search on to limit to a certain publication type. I tried to
> set "type" to "unpublished" but nothing shows up...
>
> Thanks,
>
>     -k.

try: BibTeX type

Alex