Quantcast

The search, edit, and save sequence hides the item.

The search, edit, and save sequence hides the item.

Masso Chailly
Hi.

When I search the library, edit an item of the search result, and save it, then the modified item disappears from the list of search result. Does anybody else have the same issue?

It’s not terribly annoying, because I can search again using the same keywords still available in the input field. Yet I find it inconvenient. Actually, I have noticed this issue quite a while (from previous versions).

A feature request if possible: Currently, the BibDesk search shows only exact matches. Of course, I can put * around a keyword to get all matches containing it. Can I change the behaviour so that the latter be the default?

Many thanks in advance,

Masso

Re: The search, edit, and save sequence hides the item.

Christiaan Hofman

On Jul 15, 2016, at 11:57, Masso Chailly <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi.

When I search the library, edit an item of the search result, and save it, then the modified item disappears from the list of search result. Does anybody else have the same issue?

Does the edited item still match the search? Than this works as expected. And it works like that for me: when the edited item still matches the search, it will remain, if it doesn’t match the search after the edit it will disappear. AFAIK we redo the search when relevant fields are edited.

It’s not terribly annoying, because I can search again using the same keywords still available in the input field. Yet I find it inconvenient. Actually, I have noticed this issue quite a while (from previous versions).

A feature request if possible: Currently, the BibDesk search shows only exact matches. Of course, I can put * around a keyword to get all matches containing it. Can I change the behaviour so that the latter be the default?

You can search for exact matches, or with wildcards. Use the search mEnu (the contextual menu for the search field). This option will stick.

Many thanks in advance,

Masso

hah

Re: The search, edit, and save sequence hides the item.

Masso Chailly

> On Jul 15, 2016, at 7:20 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 15, 2016, at 11:57, Masso Chailly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> When I search the library, edit an item of the search result, and save it, then the modified item disappears from the list of search result. Does anybody else have the same issue?
>>

> Does the edited item still match the search? Than this works as expected. And it works like that for me: when the edited item still matches the search, it will remain, if it doesn’t match the search after the edit it will disappear. AFAIK we redo the search when relevant fields are edited.

Even when the edited item still matches, it disappears. Strange, isn’t it?

>> It’s not terribly annoying, because I can search again using the same keywords still available in the input field. Yet I find it inconvenient. Actually, I have noticed this issue quite a while (from previous versions).
>>
>> A feature request if possible: Currently, the BibDesk search shows only exact matches. Of course, I can put * around a keyword to get all matches containing it. Can I change the behaviour so that the latter be the default?
>>

> You can search for exact matches, or with wildcards. Use the search mEnu (the contextual menu for the search field). This option will stick.

Ah, great! Sorry that I haven’t noticed the contextual menu. And thanks!

Masso

>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Masso
>
> hah
> Christiaan

Re: The search, edit, and save sequence hides the item.

Fischlin  Andreas
BTW, I find this behavior one of the strengths of BibDesk’s searching capabilities in contrast to many other applications failing miserably along those lines. I find myself in most applications always retyping, often several times, the same search strings. Not so in BibDesk.

Regards,
Andreas