Time for a new release?

Adam M. Goldstein-4
Hi everyone

I wonder if we are nearing the point at which we ought to release a
new .X version of BD? It looks like things have been pretty quiet on
the mailing lists, and I don't see too many new features coming on
line or any major bugs fixed. Any opinions one way or another?

-Adam

------------------
Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
http://www.iona.edu/faculty/agoldstein
--
(914) 637-2717

Re: Time for a new release?

Adam R. Maxwell

On Wednesday, September 10, 2008, at 12:17PM, "Adam M. Goldstein" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Hi everyone
>
>I wonder if we are nearing the point at which we ought to release a
>new .X version of BD? It looks like things have been pretty quiet on
>the mailing lists, and I don't see too many new features coming on
>line or any major bugs fixed. Any opinions one way or another?

I'd prefer that you wait.  I (hopefully) have a bug fix for some TeX preview problems that have been plaguing BibDesk for a long time, but I'm waiting for confirmation from a user who's out of town for a couple of weeks before checking it in.

--
adam

Re: Time for a new release?

Christiaan Hofman

On 10 Sep 2008, at 9:36 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 10, 2008, at 12:17PM, "Adam M. Goldstein" <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> I wonder if we are nearing the point at which we ought to release a
>> new .X version of BD? It looks like things have been pretty quiet on
>> the mailing lists, and I don't see too many new features coming on
>> line or any major bugs fixed. Any opinions one way or another?
>
> I'd prefer that you wait.  I (hopefully) have a bug fix for some TeX
> preview problems that have been plaguing BibDesk for a long time,
> but I'm waiting for confirmation from a user who's out of town for a
> couple of weeks before checking it in.
>
> --
> adam

Perhaps there's another user who can confirm the problem and the fix?
Can you describe it, and was the fix committed?

Re: Time for a new release?

On 10 Sep 2008, at 9:36 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 10, 2008, at 12:17PM, "Adam M. Goldstein" <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> I wonder if we are nearing the point at which we ought to release a
>> new .X version of BD? It looks like things have been pretty quiet on
>> the mailing lists, and I don't see too many new features coming on
>> line or any major bugs fixed. Any opinions one way or another?
>
> I'd prefer that you wait.  I (hopefully) have a bug fix for some TeX
> preview problems that have been plaguing BibDesk for a long time,
> but I'm waiting for confirmation from a user who's out of town for a
> couple of weeks before checking it in.
>
> --
> adam

Are there other ways to test this, and not wait a couple of weeks? The
French localization in the last release is very buggy.

Anyway, the French localization needs to be updated before the next
release.

Re: Time for a new release?

Maxwell, Adam R
On 09/16/08 08:08, "Christiaan Hofman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 Sep 2008, at 9:36 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>

>> On Wednesday, September 10, 2008, at 12:17PM, "Adam M. Goldstein"
>> <[hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> I wonder if we are nearing the point at which we ought to release a
>>> new .X version of BD? It looks like things have been pretty quiet on
>>> the mailing lists, and I don't see too many new features coming on
>>> line or any major bugs fixed. Any opinions one way or another?
>>
>> I'd prefer that you wait.  I (hopefully) have a bug fix for some TeX
>> preview problems that have been plaguing BibDesk for a long time,
>> but I'm waiting for confirmation from a user who's out of town for a
>> couple of weeks before checking it in.
>>
>> --
>> adam
>
> Are there other ways to test this, and not wait a couple of weeks?

I've never been able to reproduce the problem (I've tried a G3 PowerBook, G4
Aluminum PowerBook, dual G5, Xserve G5, and MacBook Pro).  It's sensitive to
timing, so hardware and OS version are a major factor in reproducing it.  So
even though I've tested my code and it appears to work, it may not actually
fix the source of the problem.

> The
> French localization in the last release is very buggy.
>
> Anyway, the French localization needs to be updated before the next
> release.

Re: Time for a new release?

Christiaan Hofman

On 16 Sep 2008, at 7:00 PM, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:

> On 09/16/08 08:08, "Christiaan Hofman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 10 Sep 2008, at 9:36 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>>

>>> On Wednesday, September 10, 2008, at 12:17PM, "Adam M. Goldstein"
>>> <[hidden email]

>>> I'd prefer that you wait.  I (hopefully) have a bug fix for some TeX
>>> preview problems that have been plaguing BibDesk for a long time,
>>> but I'm waiting for confirmation from a user who's out of town for a
>>> couple of weeks before checking it in.
>>>
>>> --
>>> adam
>>
>> Are there other ways to test this, and not wait a couple of weeks?
>
> I've never been able to reproduce the problem (I've tried a G3
> PowerBook, G4
> Aluminum PowerBook, dual G5, Xserve G5, and MacBook Pro).  It's
> sensitive to
> timing, so hardware and OS version are a major factor in reproducing
> it.  So
> even though I've tested my code and it appears to work, it may not
> actually
> fix the source of the problem.
>
>> The
>> French localization in the last release is very buggy.
>>
>> Anyway, the French localization needs to be updated before the next
>> release.

It seems to me more urgent to fix the real bugs in the French
localization than a possible bug that only occurs very rarely. So I
think we should update the localization and release. Do you agree?

Re: Time for a new release?

Maxwell, Adam R

On 09/16/08 10:09, "Christiaan Hofman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 Sep 2008, at 7:00 PM, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:

>>> Are there other ways to test this, and not wait a couple of weeks?
>>
>> I've never been able to reproduce the problem (I've tried a G3
>> PowerBook, G4
>> Aluminum PowerBook, dual G5, Xserve G5, and MacBook Pro).  It's
>> sensitive to
>> timing, so hardware and OS version are a major factor in reproducing
>> it.  So
>> even though I've tested my code and it appears to work, it may not
>> actually
>> fix the source of the problem.
>>
>>> The
>>> French localization in the last release is very buggy.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the French localization needs to be updated before the next
>>> release.
>
> It seems to me more urgent to fix the real bugs in the French
> localization than a possible bug that only occurs very rarely. So I
> think we should update the localization and release. Do you agree?

You can release weekly as far as I'm concerned; I'll do nothing to hinder a
release.  Fixing bugs in localization is orthogonal to my changes anyway.