Title Capitalization question in BibDesk

Title Capitalization question in BibDesk

Jan David Hauck
Hello everyone,

I have a (hopfully) quick question regarding fixing titles for some of my BibDesk entries:
When I started using BibDesk I hadn't figured out yet the best way to store my titles and I would like to now fix it.

And I want to make sure that I don't mess it up this time, so if I could get some feedback from some of the more savvy folks out there, if what I thought doing actually works, I'd highly appreciate it.

So I used to store them in Sentence case with the exception of the Words that should always be capitalized.  For example:
The crystal forest: Notes on the ontology of Amazonian spirits

However, based on some recommendations out there, I have sinced changed to storing them like this in Title case with always capitalized words protected:
The Crystal Forest: Notes on the Ontology of {Amazonian} Spirits

Now, depending on the bib style I use, I can either keep the capitalization or convert it to Sentence case but without  losing the capitalization for names etc.

Now I'd like to fix my first half of entries so that they resemble this pattern.
Hence I thought running a script that adds braces around already capitalized words (except beginning of line, and after full stop or colon) and then running one of the capitalize to sentence case scripts.  Would that work?  And if so how?

I tried the "Protect titles" script and the "Add Protect string" but couldn't really figure out how to get them to work the way I want.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jan

Re: Title Capitalization question in BibDesk

Christiaan Hofman

On Oct 14, 2015, at 14:17, Jan David Hauck <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes, that could basically work. To get an idea on how to write that script you may have a look at my capitalization scripts on the Wiki (you seem to already have found them), like the Capitalize.scpt. Unfortunately what you want is not directly supported by those script. I attached a modified version that was sent to me by another user that I think does do what you want. The Protect scripts don’t really do what you want. They are based on building and using a list of words you always want to put braces around, which is not the thing you want to do.

Capitalize.scpt (57K) Download Attachment

On Oct 14, 2015, at 15:13, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Christiaan

<Capitalize.scpt>

I have updated my scripts on the Wiki. The “Capitalize" script library now contains a function capitalizeOrProtect that should do what you want. the new script "Capitalize and Auto Protect Titles” uses that, and should do exactly what you want.

Re: Title Capitalization question in BibDesk

Jan David Hauck
Hi Christiaan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!
But it seems you didn't update the “Capitalize" script library on the website?  I re-downloaded the "allscripts" folder but the Capitalize script contained there doesn't have that capitalizeOrProtect that you mention.  Or am I missing something?

Jan

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 7:23 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Christiaan, thanks so much!  That's perfect!  Does exactly what I needed!

Now I have one more question:  Is there a way to trigger the same script for "Booktitle fields?"
For incollections that inherit that from a crossref it's obviously changed but I have some incollections that are not crossref'd so there I'd need to update the booktitle field in an extra step.

Thanks a ton!

Jan

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I've tried that but it gives me the error
Error: -1700. BibDesk got an error: Can’t make booktitle of publication id "bdskidentifier://963110B0-6514-4605-A1CC-E565816F1515" of document "* Bibliography *" into type specifier.

Jan

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:21 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You have to use something like:

value of field “Booktitle”

There is no booktitle property.

Christiaan

On Oct 16, 2015, at 4:48, Jan David Hauck <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've tried that but it gives me the error
Error: -1700. BibDesk got an error: Can’t make booktitle of publication id "<a href="bdskidentifier://963110B0-6514-4605-A1CC-E565816F1515" class="">bdskidentifier://963110B0-6514-4605-A1CC-E565816F1515" of document "* Bibliography *" into type specifier.