Quantcast

UTF-8 characters in the author field?

Jung-Tsung Shen
I normally download .ris files from prola.aps.org. Sometimes when the
author field (and other field) contains characters such as \`e,
BibDesk refuses to open the file and gives me a warning about the
coding instead.

If I copy and paste to BibDesk (or other equivalent alternatives),
then I could manually change \`e to \`{e} afterwards. The problem is,
often I download a few .ris and intend to work off-line. This then
poses a difficulty.

Maybe there are other ways to do it more coherently (there are so many
features in BibDesk and I am always using the same trick I learned at
the very beginning ...), and I appreciate any suggestions and
comments.

Thanks.

JT

Re: UTF-8 characters in the author field?

Maxwell, Adam R
On 08/21/08 11:31, "Jung-Tsung Shen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I normally download .ris files from prola.aps.org. Sometimes when the
> author field (and other field) contains characters such as \`e,
> BibDesk refuses to open the file and gives me a warning about the
> coding instead.

Do you mean the actual è (e grave) character, or the TeX sequence \`e?  If
the former, you need to open the file using File->Open and choose the
correct encoding.

> If I copy and paste to BibDesk (or other equivalent alternatives),
> then I could manually change \`e to \`{e} afterwards. The problem is,
> often I download a few .ris and intend to work off-line. This then
> poses a difficulty.

In BibTeX, you should generally use {\`e} instead of \`{e}, but that's
beside the point :).  You can change encoding of .ris files using iconv in
Terminal, or open the files in a text editor and resave with a different
encoding.

--
Adam

On 8/21/08, Maxwell, Adam R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you mean the actual è (e grave) character, or the TeX sequence \`e?  If
>  the former, you need to open the file using File->Open and choose the
>  correct encoding.

Thanks, Adam. I will remember that. [I only knew double-click a file
to open it ...] That requires to open BibDesk first, but only a few
clicks more ...

> In BibTeX, you should generally use {\`e} instead of \`{e}, but that's
>  beside the point :).  You can change encoding of .ris files using iconv in
>  Terminal, or open the files in a text editor and resave with a different
>  encoding.

\`{e} seems to work well for me so far. :D

Couldn't BibDesk open the file first, gives me some proper warning,
and allow me to modify *within* BibDesk? For a naive end-user, it
should always go like this:

double click a file -> BibDesk opens it, regardless of the encoding
etc, but warns you that there are some problems in what fields -> the
end-user manually corrects the errors within BibDesk.

Of course, it would be much better if BibDesk could also do the last
step for me. :-)

On 08/21/08 12:23, "Jung-Tsung Shen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/21/08, Maxwell, Adam R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In BibTeX, you should generally use {\`e} instead of \`{e}, but that's
>>  beside the point :).  You can change encoding of .ris files using iconv in
>>  Terminal, or open the files in a text editor and resave with a different
>>  encoding.
>
> \`{e} seems to work well for me so far. :D

http://newton.ex.ac.uk/tex/pack/bibtex/btxdoc/node3.html

See item 4 in the list.  Another reason for using the {\`e} idiom is that
BibDesk can convert it to è for display in the interface, and back to {\`e}
when you save.

> Couldn't BibDesk open the file first, gives me some proper warning,
> and allow me to modify *within* BibDesk? For a naive end-user, it
> should always go like this:
>
> double click a file -> BibDesk opens it, regardless of the encoding
> etc, but warns you that there are some problems in what fields -> the
> end-user manually corrects the errors within BibDesk.
>
> Of course, it would be much better if BibDesk could also do the last
> step for me. :-)

Encoding errors are serious, because BibDesk has no idea how extensive the
problems are.  Hence it takes the safest approach and bails out on opening
the file, rather than allowing you to continue and likely corrupt your data.
In fact, I originally got involved in BibDesk development to try and fix an
encoding corruption bug that messed up my .bib file!

--
Adam

Re: UTF-8 characters in the author field?

Jung-Tsung Shen
On 8/21/08, Maxwell, Adam R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://newton.ex.ac.uk/tex/pack/bibtex/btxdoc/node3.html
>
>  See item 4 in the list.  Another reason for using the {\`e} idiom is that
>  BibDesk can convert it to è for display in the interface, and back to {\`e}
>  when you save.

Thanks again, Adam. I am sure many people feel the same way, we learn
the features of BibDesk and (La)TeX from the forums, rather than from
the help manual ...

The "*New* BibDesk Features" in the above link was written in 1997? :P

> Encoding errors are serious, because BibDesk has no idea how extensive the
>  problems are.  Hence it takes the safest approach and bails out on opening
>  the file, rather than allowing you to continue and likely corrupt your data.
>  In fact, I originally got involved in BibDesk development to try and fix an
>  encoding corruption bug that messed up my .bib file!

Thanks for clarifying that to me. :-)

On 08/21/08 12:51, "Jung-Tsung Shen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/21/08, Maxwell, Adam R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> http://newton.ex.ac.uk/tex/pack/bibtex/btxdoc/node3.html
>>
>>  See item 4 in the list.  Another reason for using the {\`e} idiom is that
>>  BibDesk can convert it to è for display in the interface, and back to {\`e}
>>  when you save.
>
> Thanks again, Adam. I am sure many people feel the same way, we learn
> the features of BibDesk and (La)TeX from the forums, rather than from
> the help manual ...
>
> The "*New* BibDesk Features" in the above link was written in 1997? :P

s/BibDesk/BibTeX above :).  Yes, BibTeX is old, which is its excuse for
dismal non-ASCII character support (direct UTF-8 won't sort properly) and
the lack of internet-related types.  BibTeX 1.0 is supposed to fix those
problems, but Duke Nukem Forever will probably be released first.

And in case you missed my reply to James, try dropping your RIS file on
BibDesk's main window or a specific group.  Depending on the encoding, that
might work directly.

--
Adam