Quantcast

Unable to parse as BibTeX in Google Scholar in the latest version

Unable to parse as BibTeX in Google Scholar in the latest version

Yu Chen
Hello,

I am using version 1.6.7 (3999). This morning I was using the built-in browser in BibDesk to import from google scholar, for the first 6 pages of results, it worked just fine. Then when I went to the 7th page, it gave me the error " Unable to parse as BibTeX". Now even after I redo the search again, it won't even work on any of the pages. I searched the mailing list, found the same error in August, but that's in version 1.6.6, seems should be fixed already.

Any ideas?  Google's changing their coding again?!...

Thanks in advance!

Chen

Re: Unable to parse as BibTeX in Google Scholar in the latest version

Christiaan Hofman

On Oct 20, 2016, at 16:35, Yu Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I am using version 1.6.7 (3999). This morning I was using the built-in browser in BibDesk to import from google scholar, for the first 6 pages of results, it worked just fine. Then when I went to the 7th page, it gave me the error " Unable to parse as BibTeX". Now even after I redo the search again, it won't even work on any of the pages. I searched the mailing list, found the same error in August, but that's in version 1.6.6, seems should be fixed already.

Any ideas?  Google's changing their coding again?!...

Thanks in advance!

Chen

I think this has to do with Google Scholar blocking you. When it gets too much hits it may block that IP. Unfortunately we have no workaround for that issue, GS does not offer any alternative to fetch data, and Google doesn’t have any possibility for communication whatsoever.

Re: Unable to parse as BibTeX in Google Scholar in the latest version

Yu Chen
Thanks Christiaan!

Fortunately I have lots of IPs I can change to, so I will try that :-).

Chen

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Zvi Biener
Hi Everyone,
I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but I can't find it.

BibDesk used to keep cached files in
~/Library/Caches/Metadata/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk/

Those seem to be gone and replaced with a database file. Do those files
live elsewhere now, or are they gone for good? Or, perhaps, is there a
way to recreate them manually?

I ask because I used them to run Alfred queries, as a shortcut to
opening BibDesk. It was inelegant, but highly effective. If I can
recreate those files, I wouldn't need to rewrite a whole bunch of
parsers.

Thanks,
Zvi

On 20 Oct 2016, at 11:21, Yu Chen wrote:

> Thanks Christiaan!
>
> Fortunately I have lots of IPs I can change to, so I will try that
> :-).
>
> Chen
>
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Christiaan Hofman
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 20, 2016, at 16:35, Yu Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using version 1.6.7 (3999). This morning I was using the
>> built-in
>> browser in BibDesk to import from google scholar, for the first 6
>> pages of
>> results, it worked just fine. Then when I went to the 7th page, it
>> gave me
>> the error " Unable to parse as BibTeX". Now even after I redo the
>> search
>> again, it won't even work on any of the pages. I searched the mailing
>> list,
>> found the same error in August, but that's in version 1.6.6, seems
>> should
>> be fixed already.
>>
>> Any ideas?  Google's changing their coding again?!...
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Chen
>>

>> I think this has to do with Google Scholar blocking you. When it gets
>> too
>> much hits it may block that IP. Unfortunately we have no workaround
>> for
>> that issue, GS does not offer any alternative to fetch data, and
>> Google
>> doesn’t have any possibility for communication whatsoever.
>>
>> Christiaan

Re: Unable to parse as BibTeX in Google Scholar in the latest version

Antonio Fortin-2
Hi Zvi,

I don't know about the cache vs. database issue you mention, but have you tried any of the existing Alfred workflows for searching BibDesk databases without having to run BibDesk? Both of these work for me, with Alfred 3 and BibDesk 1.6.7.

https://bitbucket.org/schoeps/alfred/downloads/BibDesk_Search.alfredworkflow
http://www.packal.org/workflow/bibquery

HTH,
Antonio

wrote:

[...]

Re: cache files

Adam Maxwell

> On Oct 27, 2016, at 07:21 , Zvi Biener <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> BibDesk used to keep cached files in
> ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk/
>
> Those seem to be gone and replaced with a database file. Do those files
> live elsewhere now, or are they gone for good? Or, perhaps, is there a
> way to recreate them manually?

I'd be surprised if that code was rewritten to use a monolithic database of some kind, as that would not work well with Spotlight. The .bdskcache files should be regenerated each time you save in BibDesk.

-- adam

Re: cache files

Christiaan Hofman

> On Oct 27, 2016, at 17:07, Adam R. Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 27, 2016, at 07:21 , Zvi Biener <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> BibDesk used to keep cached files in
>> ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk/
>>
>> Those seem to be gone and replaced with a database file. Do those files
>> live elsewhere now, or are they gone for good? Or, perhaps, is there a
>> way to recreate them manually?
>
> I'd be surprised if that code was rewritten to use a monolithic database of some kind, as that would not work well with Spotlight. The .bdskcache files should be regenerated each time you save in BibDesk.
>
> -- adam

No, this is still the same code.

I wonder if the system now automatically cleans them up at login or something. That would invalidate our procedure. In that case we should save them in a different location, I don’t know where that should be though. Does anyone know where Mail saves them now (or doesn’t it anymore?)

Re: cache files

Adam R. Maxwell

> On Oct 27, 2016, at 08:13, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I wonder if the system now automatically cleans them up at login or something. That would invalidate our procedure. In that case we should save them in a different location, I don’t know where that should be though. Does anyone know where Mail saves them now (or doesn’t it anymore?)

I'm using an old version of BibDesk, but still have the bdskcache files on 10.11. Mail saves them in its own folder as documents, still; separate files for each message.

Re: cache files

Zvi Biener
I can confirm that upon save the cached files returned.

I will keep an eye on them and report when they are deleted.

BTW: BibDesk: 1.6.7;  MacOS: 10.12.1

Zvi

On 27 Oct 2016, at 11:24, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>> On Oct 27, 2016, at 08:13, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if the system now automatically cleans them up at login or
>> something. That would invalidate our procedure. In that case we
>> should save them in a different location, I don’t know where that
>> should be though. Does anyone know where Mail saves them now (or
>> doesn’t it anymore?)
>
> I'm using an old version of BibDesk, but still have the bdskcache
> files on 10.11. Mail saves them in its own folder as documents, still;
> separate files for each message.

Re: Unable to parse as BibTeX in Google Scholar in the latest version

Zvi Biener
Hi Antonio,
Thanks. I actually used a very modified version of bibquery. BibQuery
uses the same cached files that had disappeared. I also just realized
that I didn't change the subject of my past email. Sorry everyone.
Zvi

On 27 Oct 2016, at 10:45, Antonio Fortin wrote:

> Hi Zvi,
>
> I don't know about the cache vs. database issue you mention, but have
> you tried any of the existing Alfred workflows for searching BibDesk
> databases without having to run BibDesk? Both of these work for me,
> with
> Alfred 3 and BibDesk 1.6.7.
>
> https://bitbucket.org/schoeps/alfred/downloads/BibDesk_Search.alfredworkflow
> http://www.packal.org/workflow/bibquery
>
> HTH,
> Antonio
>
> Zvi Biener wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>> I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but I can't find it.
>>
>> BibDesk used to keep cached files in
>> ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk/
>>
>> Those seem to be gone and replaced with a database file. Do those
>> files
>> live elsewhere now, or are they gone for good? Or, perhaps, is there
>> way to recreate them manually?
>>
>> I ask because I used them to run Alfred queries, as a shortcut to
>> opening BibDesk. It was inelegant, but highly effective. If I can
>> recreate those files, I wouldn't need to rewrite a whole bunch of
>> parsers.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Zvi
>>
>> On 20 Oct 2016, at 11:21, Yu Chen wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Christiaan!
>>>
>>> Fortunately I have lots of IPs I can change to, so I will try that
>>> :-).
>>>
>>> Chen
>>>
>>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Christiaan Hofman
>>> <[hidden email]>

Re: cache files

Adam R. Maxwell

> On Oct 27, 2016, at 09:05, Zvi Biener <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I will keep an eye on them and report when they are deleted

They may have been deleted if you upgraded your OS. Otherwise, running some kind of cache cleaner is the only thing that might do it.

Re: cache files

Zvi Biener
Ah. I don't run any cache cleaner, but perhaps the move to 10.12 or
10.12.1 did it. I haven't had cause to re-save the bib file recently, so
it took a while to notice.

Zvi