Unable to parse as BibTeX

gweltaz
Hi BibTeXers,
I hadn't used the web search capabilities of BibDesK in a while and discovered today that I couldn't import titles from the web. I got the message "Unable to parse as BibTeX". I then checked for errors (Window menu > Errors) and discovered many, especially in the use of quotes ("). I cleaned up the errors, removed the caches as best I could, restarted and tried another web search that gave me the same message. Help and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I'm on OS 10.11.6 and BibTeX 1.6.6. Also, I'm on TeXlive 2016, with biber 2.5.

--Gildas Hamel

Re: Unable to parse as BibTeX

gweltaz
* Skriv a reas Gildas Hamel ([hidden email]):

  |>  I'm on OS 10.11.6 and BibTeX 1.6.6. Also, I'm on TeXlive 2016, with biber 2.5.

I mean BibDesk 1.6.6. --Gildas

Re: Unable to parse as BibTeX

On Aug 16, 2016, at 20:28, Gildas Hamel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi BibTeXers,
I hadn't used the web search capabilities of BibDesK in a while and discovered today that I couldn't import titles from the web. I got the message "Unable to parse as BibTeX". I then checked for errors (Window menu > Errors) and discovered many, especially in the use of quotes ("). I cleaned up the errors, removed the caches as best I could, restarted and tried another web search that gave me the same message. Help and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I'm on OS 10.11.6 and BibTeX 1.6.6. Also, I'm on TeXlive 2016, with biber 2.5.

--Gildas Hamel

What web page did you search, in particular which site? You do mean that you were using the built-in web browser in BibDesk?

Re: Unable to parse as BibTeX

Christiaan Hofman

On Aug 16, 2016, at 22:37, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 16, 2016, at 20:28, Gildas Hamel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi BibTeXers,
I hadn't used the web search capabilities of BibDesK in a while and discovered today that I couldn't import titles from the web. I got the message "Unable to parse as BibTeX". I then checked for errors (Window menu > Errors) and discovered many, especially in the use of quotes ("). I cleaned up the errors, removed the caches as best I could, restarted and tried another web search that gave me the same message. Help and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I'm on OS 10.11.6 and BibTeX 1.6.6. Also, I'm on TeXlive 2016, with biber 2.5.

--Gildas Hamel

What web page did you search, in particular which site? You do mean that you were using the built-in web browser in BibDesk?

Christiaan

If this is in Google Scholar, then this is because they recently changed their links to the bibtex data on their web site.
This is already known and fixed (see bug # 1497), you could download a recent nightly build.

Re: Unable to parse as BibTeX

gweltaz
* Skriv a reas Christiaan Hofman ([hidden email]):

  |>  If this is in Google Scholar, then this is because they recently changed their links to the bibtex data on their web site.
  |>  This is already known and fixed (see bug # 1497), you could download a recent nightly build.

Thanks, this was on Google Scholar and I'll follow up on your advice.
--Gildas