Wiley-Export

Daniel Becker-2
Dear BibDeskers,

now that Wiley took over Blackwell, many of the papers I am reading
are hosted on their website. Hence using their citation export
"feature" is diffcult to avoid. I think there was a discussion about
Wiley on this list a while ago, and about their ignorance to export
proper RIS or BiBTeX.

I know it is all their fault, but would it be possible to have a
filter for Wiley? Or what are other user's workflows?

Of course I will try to convince them to export proper RIS, but ...

Daniel

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Their export option "plain text" results in a file "cit-abs-
plain-58559900.txt.ris" like this:

AU: Karla Hoff, Joseph E. Stiglitz
TI: Exiting a Lawless State*
SO: The Economic Journal
VL: 118
NO: 531
PG: 1474-1497
YR: 2008
CP: © The Author(s). Journal compilation © Royal Economic Society 2008
ON: 1468-0297
PN: 0013-0133
AD: The World Bank;  Columbia University and NBER
DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-0297.2008.02177.x
US: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0297.2008.02177.x
AB: An earlier paper showed blablabla

A double-click opens the file in BibDesk, but the Bibliographic Info
is lost.

+++++++++++++++

Endnote-Export results in

%0 Journal Article
%A Karla Hoff, Joseph E. Stiglitz,
%T Exiting a Lawless State*
%J The Economic Journal
%V 118
%N 531
%P 1474-1497
%D 2008
%@ 1468-0297
%+ The World Bank;  Columbia University and NBER
%1 10.1111/j.1468-0297.2008.02177.x
%U http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0297.2008.02177.x
%X An earlier paper showed that an economy blablabla

Re: Wiley-Export

Maxwell, Adam R
On 08/18/08 05:17, "Daniel Becker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear BibDeskers,
>
> now that Wiley took over Blackwell, many of the papers I am reading
> are hosted on their website. Hence using their citation export
> "feature" is diffcult to avoid. I think there was a discussion about
> Wiley on this list a while ago, and about their ignorance to export
> proper RIS or BiBTeX.
>
> I know it is all their fault, but would it be possible to have a
> filter for Wiley? Or what are other user's workflows?

Their "Endnote" option is actually readable by BibDesk directly, but the
.ris extension forces BibDesk to read it as RIS (which it obviously is not).
Copy the text from that file and paste it into BibDesk, and things will
mostly work; you still need to edit the author field to replace the comma
separator with "and" and remove the trailing comma.  That cleanup may be
AppleScript-able.

> Of course I will try to convince them to export proper RIS, but ...

Good luck with that...

--
Adam

Re: Wiley-Export

Daniel Becker-2
>> I know it is all their fault, but would it be possible to have a
>> filter for Wiley? Or what are other user's workflows?
>
> Their "Endnote" option is actually readable by BibDesk directly, but
> the
> .ris extension forces BibDesk to read it as RIS (which it obviously
> is not).
> Copy the text from that file and paste it into BibDesk, and things
> will
> mostly work; you still need to edit the author field to replace the
> comma
> separator with "and" and remove the trailing comma.  That cleanup
> may be
> AppleScript-able.

Thanks a lot, that's good. The cleanup is no problem - this is almost
always necessary for the DOI etc.

Daniel

Re: Wiley-Export

Themis Matsoukas-3
On Aug 18, 2008, at 5:18 PM, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:

> On 08/18/08 05:17, "Daniel Becker" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear BibDeskers,
>>
>> now that Wiley took over Blackwell, many of the papers I am reading
>> are hosted on their website. Hence using their citation export
>> "feature" is diffcult to avoid. I think there was a discussion about
>> Wiley on this list a while ago, and about their ignorance to export
>> proper RIS or BiBTeX.
>>
>> I know it is all their fault, but would it be possible to have a
>> filter for Wiley? Or what are other user's workflows?
>
> Their "Endnote" option is actually readable by BibDesk directly, but
> the
> .ris extension forces BibDesk to read it as RIS (which it obviously
> is not).
> Copy the text from that file and paste it into BibDesk, and things
> will
> mostly work; you still need to edit the author field to replace the
> comma
> separator with "and" and remove the trailing comma.  That cleanup
> may be
> AppleScript-able.

I tried to follow your advice: I downloaded the endnote formatted
citation, read it as text, and tried to paste into BibDesk but I get
"BibDesk couldn't find bibliography data in this text." What am I
missing? Below is the endnote text of the citation:

%0 Journal Article
%A Patrick T. Spicer, Sotiris E. Pratsinis,
%T Coagulation and fragmentation: Universal steady-state particle-size
distribution
%J AIChE Journal
%V 42
%N 6
%P 1612-1620
%D 1996
%@ 1547-5905
%+ Dept. of Chemical Engineering, University of Cincinnati,
Cincinnati, OH 45221
%1 10.1002/aic.690420612
%U http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/aic.690420612

Themis

Re: Wiley-Export

Christiaan Hofman

On 20 Aug 2008, at 4:24 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2008, at 5:18 PM, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:
>
>> On 08/18/08 05:17, "Daniel Becker" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear BibDeskers,
>>>
>>> now that Wiley took over Blackwell, many of the papers I am reading
>>> are hosted on their website. Hence using their citation export
>>> "feature" is diffcult to avoid. I think there was a discussion about
>>> Wiley on this list a while ago, and about their ignorance to export
>>> proper RIS or BiBTeX.
>>>
>>> I know it is all their fault, but would it be possible to have a
>>> filter for Wiley? Or what are other user's workflows?
>>
>> Their "Endnote" option is actually readable by BibDesk directly, but
>> the
>> .ris extension forces BibDesk to read it as RIS (which it obviously
>> is not).
>> Copy the text from that file and paste it into BibDesk, and things
>> will
>> mostly work; you still need to edit the author field to replace the
>> comma
>> separator with "and" and remove the trailing comma.  That cleanup
>> may be
>> AppleScript-able.
>
> I tried to follow your advice: I downloaded the endnote formatted
> citation, read it as text, and tried to paste into BibDesk but I get
> "BibDesk couldn't find bibliography data in this text." What am I
> missing? Below is the endnote text of the citation:
>

> %0 Journal Article
> %A Patrick T. Spicer, Sotiris E. Pratsinis,
> %T Coagulation and fragmentation: Universal steady-state particle-size
> distribution
> %J AIChE Journal
> %V 42
> %N 6
> %P 1612-1620
> %D 1996
> %@ 1547-5905
> %+ Dept. of Chemical Engineering, University of Cincinnati,
> Cincinnati, OH 45221
> %1 10.1002/aic.690420612
> %U http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/aic.690420612
>

> Themis

When I paste this, it's accepted. Only the special custom tags
(starting from %@) are not properly parsed.

Perhaps you added some stuff at the beginning of the string?

Re: Wiley-Export

Themis Matsoukas-3
On Aug 20, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> On 20 Aug 2008, at 4:24 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>
>> %0 Journal Article
>> %A Patrick T. Spicer, Sotiris E. Pratsinis,
>> %T Coagulation and fragmentation: Universal steady-state particle-
>> size
>> distribution
>> %J AIChE Journal
>> %V 42
>> %N 6
>> %P 1612-1620
>> %D 1996
>> %@ 1547-5905
>> %+ Dept. of Chemical Engineering, University of Cincinnati,
>> Cincinnati, OH 45221
>> %1 10.1002/aic.690420612
>> %U http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/aic.690420612
>
> When I paste this, it's accepted. Only the special custom tags
> (starting from %@) are not properly parsed.
>
> Perhaps you added some stuff at the beginning of the string?

Did not add anything else... Maybe I am not pasting at the right
place? I copied the text, then went to the main pane of a bib file and
pasted (apple-V). I'm using Version 1.2.11 (v485).

tm

Re: Wiley-Export

Christiaan Hofman

On 20 Aug 2008, at 5:18 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>

>> On 20 Aug 2008, at 4:24 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>>
>>> %0 Journal Article
>>> %A Patrick T. Spicer, Sotiris E. Pratsinis,
>>> %T Coagulation and fragmentation: Universal steady-state particle-
>>> size
>>> distribution
>>> %J AIChE Journal
>>> %V 42
>>> %N 6
>>> %P 1612-1620
>>> %D 1996
>>> %@ 1547-5905
>>> %+ Dept. of Chemical Engineering, University of Cincinnati,
>>> Cincinnati, OH 45221
>>> %1 10.1002/aic.690420612
>>> %U http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/aic.690420612
>>
>> When I paste this, it's accepted. Only the special custom tags
>> (starting from %@) are not properly parsed.
>>
>> Perhaps you added some stuff at the beginning of the string?
>
> Did not add anything else... Maybe I am not pasting at the right
> place? I copied the text, then went to the main pane of a bib file and
> pasted (apple-V). I'm using Version 1.2.11 (v485).
>
> tm

Well, that version can't read this format.

Re: Wiley-Export

Daniel Becker-2

Am 20.08.2008 um 17:18 schrieb Themis Matsoukas:

>>> %1 10.1002/aic.690420612
>>> %U http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/aic.690420612
>>
>> When I paste this, it's accepted. Only the special custom tags
>> (starting from %@) are not properly parsed.
>>
>> Perhaps you added some stuff at the beginning of the string?
>
> Did not add anything else... Maybe I am not pasting at the right
> place? I copied the text, then went to the main pane of a bib file and
> pasted (apple-V). I'm using Version 1.2.11 (v485).

I had the impression that you need to paste with mouse (mark the text,
then move it with mouse). I had to try it several times ...

Good luck

Daniel

Re: Wiley-Export

Christiaan Hofman

On 20 Aug 2008, at 5:26 PM, Daniel Becker wrote:

>>> When I paste this, it's accepted. Only the special custom tags
>>> (starting from %@) are not properly parsed.
>>>
>>> Perhaps you added some stuff at the beginning of the string?
>>
>> Did not add anything else... Maybe I am not pasting at the right
>> place? I copied the text, then went to the main pane of a bib file
>> and
>> pasted (apple-V). I'm using Version 1.2.11 (v485).
>
> I had the impression that you need to paste with mouse (mark the text,
> then move it with mouse). I had to try it several times ...
>
> Good luck
>
> Daniel

Both drag/drop and copy/paste work.

Re: Wiley-Export

Maxwell, Adam R
On 08/20/08 08:18, "Themis Matsoukas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>

>> On 20 Aug 2008, at 4:24 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>>
>>> %0 Journal Article
>>> %A Patrick T. Spicer, Sotiris E. Pratsinis,
>>> %T Coagulation and fragmentation: Universal steady-state particle-
>>> size
>>> distribution
>>> %J AIChE Journal
>>> %V 42
>>> %N 6
>>> %P 1612-1620
>>> %D 1996
>>> %@ 1547-5905
>>> %+ Dept. of Chemical Engineering, University of Cincinnati,
>>> Cincinnati, OH 45221
>>> %1 10.1002/aic.690420612
>>> %U http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/aic.690420612
>>
>> When I paste this, it's accepted. Only the special custom tags
>> (starting from %@) are not properly parsed.
>>
>> Perhaps you added some stuff at the beginning of the string?
>
> Did not add anything else... Maybe I am not pasting at the right
> place? I copied the text, then went to the main pane of a bib file and
> pasted (apple-V). I'm using Version 1.2.11 (v485).

Are you using Panther?  1.2.11 has the same features as 1.2.10, which was
released on 7 October 2006.  I added Refer parsing support on 10 January
2007, so it never made it into a 1.2.x release.

--
Adam

Re: Wiley-Export

Themis Matsoukas-3
On Aug 20, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:

> Are you using Panther?  1.2.11 has the same features as 1.2.10,
> which was
> released on 7 October 2006.  I added Refer parsing support on 10
> January
> 2007, so it never made it into a 1.2.x release.

I am on OS 10.5.4 and I believe I downloaded the latest bibdesk only a
couple days ago. Should I upgrade, or downgrade, if I want to get this
to work?

Themis Matsoukas

Re: Wiley-Export

Maxwell, Adam R

On 08/20/08 09:33, "Themis Matsoukas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:
>
>> Are you using Panther?  1.2.11 has the same features as 1.2.10,
>> which was
>> released on 7 October 2006.  I added Refer parsing support on 10
>> January
>> 2007, so it never made it into a 1.2.x release.
>
> I am on OS 10.5.4 and I believe I downloaded the latest bibdesk only a
> couple days ago. Should I upgrade, or downgrade, if I want to get this
> to work?

Any chance you have multiple versions of BibDesk lying around?  Cmd-click
its icon in the dock.  The latest version is linked from the homepage as

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/bibdesk/BibDesk-1.3.18.dmg

--
Adam

Re: Wiley-Export

On 20 Aug 2008, at 6:33 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:
>
>> Are you using Panther?  1.2.11 has the same features as 1.2.10,
>> which was
>> released on 7 October 2006.  I added Refer parsing support on 10
>> January
>> 2007, so it never made it into a 1.2.x release.
>
> I am on OS 10.5.4 and I believe I downloaded the latest bibdesk only a
> couple days ago. Should I upgrade, or downgrade, if I want to get this
> to work?
>
> Themis Matsoukas
> [hidden email]

You should definitely upgrade! You can get it from the web site, http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net
.

Re: Wiley-Export

Themis Matsoukas-3
On Aug 20, 2008, at 12:48 PM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> On 20 Aug 2008, at 6:33 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>
>> On Aug 20, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:
>>
>>> Are you using Panther?  1.2.11 has the same features as 1.2.10,
>>> which was
>>> released on 7 October 2006.  I added Refer parsing support on 10
>>> January
>>> 2007, so it never made it into a 1.2.x release.
>>
>> I am on OS 10.5.4 and I believe I downloaded the latest bibdesk
>> only a
>> couple days ago. Should I upgrade, or downgrade, if I want to get
>> this
>> to work?
>>
>> Themis Matsoukas
>> [hidden email]
>
> You should definitely upgrade! You can get it from the web site, http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net

I upgraded and now everything works as it supposed to. I have no idea
how I ended up with such an old version...

Themis