auto-file warnings

Transfer arcor.de
Hello, I was trying to add an entry as Proceedings to my database and received an error that „not all details are complete and auto file cannot file this“ (something like this, it was in German. Looking through the mailing list archives I understood that I could check the error pane but no errors were displayed there. Strangely, after a few times opening and confirming the error it disappeared and I cannot reproduce it. Still, this bugs me and I had a suspicion that the problem might be that the entry lacks an Author. I can see that in two places:
a) the cite key starts with „: blabla"
b) in my library folder, the paper is not neatly saved to a folder by the author name (since there is none), but sits loosely on the root level.

I have a custom string for city-keys which is: %a[;][;etal]2:%Y-%t20

With a book, e.g.
The economics of climate change : the Stern review by Nicolas Stern that will display:
Stern:2007-The-economics-of-cli

The erroneous entry is a proceedings and
Das Regierungsprogramm der SPD
:1961-Das-Regierungsprogra

My auto-file rule is
%a120/%a120 (%Y%u1) - %T10%e
which basically files according to the author.

So, I see where the program has its problem, but since proceedings have no author as a compulsory field I wonder if anyone has a hint how to better do this. Ideally I would use Booleans in the rule like „if author use author, else use organization“ but that seems not possible.

Any ideas appreciated! Thanks!

Sven

Re: auto-file warnings

Christiaan Hofman

On May 27, 2016, at 17:14, Transfer arcor.de <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

It’s not so much an error, but a warning, as not all information the format needs is supplied. There is no thing like a boolean field (except for %s, but that’s somewhat different). You can just file it manually. Or you can force the filing (which you can initiate from the filing error window). Or, probably the best solution, you can change your format to use %p, which uses the Editor field when the Author field is empty.