autosized column

Kyle Johnson-3
I've mistakenly told BibDesk to autosize the "search relevance" column
that pops up in response to a search. This has the unfortunate
property of stretching that column to a dramatic width. I can't figure
out how to turn this setting off, however. Anyone know how to turn off
the autosizing option for columns?

Thanks,
Kyle

Re: autosized column

Christiaan Hofman
column autosizing is a one-time action. It does not mean that the
column will always automatically resize. However, the width of the
column sticks. So just resize the column manually, and it should stick.

Christiaan

On 21 Sep 2008, at 8:52 PM, Kyle Johnson wrote:

> I've mistakenly told BibDesk to autosize the "search relevance" column
> that pops up in response to a search. This has the unfortunate
> property of stretching that column to a dramatic width. I can't figure
> out how to turn this setting off, however. Anyone know how to turn off
> the autosizing option for columns?
>
> Thanks,
> Kyle

Re: autosized column

Kyle Johnson-3
Thanks Christiaan,

That does work with the other columns (I've tested). But the "search
relevance" column seems to resist manual resizing.

Is there a plist (or other) file I can delete to restore my BibDesk to
its original state?

Kyle

On Sep 21, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> column autosizing is a one-time action. It does not mean that the
> column will always automatically resize. However, the width of the
> column sticks. So just resize the column manually, and it should
> stick.
>
> Christiaan
>
> On 21 Sep 2008, at 8:52 PM, Kyle Johnson wrote:
>
>> I've mistakenly told BibDesk to autosize the "search relevance"
>> column
>> that pops up in response to a search. This has the unfortunate
>> property of stretching that column to a dramatic width. I can't
>> figure
>> out how to turn this setting off, however. Anyone know how to turn
>> off
>> the autosizing option for columns?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kyle

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: autosized column

Christiaan Hofman

On 21 Sep 2008, at 11:07 PM, Kyle Johnson wrote:

> Thanks Christiaan,
>
> That does work with the other columns (I've tested). But the "search
> relevance" column seems to resist manual resizing.

Really? I've got no problem resizing this column, and there's nothing
in the code that treats this column specially for resizing in any way.

> Is there a plist (or other) file I can delete to restore my BibDesk to
> its original state?
>
> Kyle

It's saved in the preferences, ~/Library/Preferences/
edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist

Christiaan

> On Sep 21, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>
>> column autosizing is a one-time action. It does not mean that the
>> column will always automatically resize. However, the width of the
>> column sticks. So just resize the column manually, and it should
>> stick.
>>
>> Christiaan
>>
>> On 21 Sep 2008, at 8:52 PM, Kyle Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I've mistakenly told BibDesk to autosize the "search relevance"
>>> column
>>> that pops up in response to a search. This has the unfortunate
>>> property of stretching that column to a dramatic width. I can't
>>> figure
>>> out how to turn this setting off, however. Anyone know how to turn
>>> off
>>> the autosizing option for columns?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kyle

Re: autosized column

Adam R. Maxwell
On Sep 21, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> On 21 Sep 2008, at 11:07 PM, Kyle Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Is there a plist (or other) file I can delete to restore my BibDesk
>> its original state?
>>
>> Kyle
>>

> It's saved in the preferences, ~/Library/Preferences/
> edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist
I thought it was saved in extended attributes on a per-file basis?  In
that case, you'd have to use `xattr -d
net.sourceforge.bibdesk.BDSKDocumentWindowAttributes /path/to/
file.bib` in Terminal (Leopard only).

--
adam

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: autosized column

Christiaan Hofman

On 21 Sep 2008, at 11:48 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>
>> On 21 Sep 2008, at 11:07 PM, Kyle Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a plist (or other) file I can delete to restore my
>>> BibDesk to
>>> its original state?
>>>
>>> Kyle
>>>

>> It's saved in the preferences, ~/Library/Preferences/
>> edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist
>
> I thought it was saved in extended attributes on a per-file basis?
> In that case, you'd have to use `xattr -d
> net.sourceforge.bibdesk.BDSKDocumentWindowAttributes /path/to/
> file.bib` in Terminal (Leopard only).

Actually, it's saved in both cases. To reset, you should remove both,
as the one in the prefs are used as a default when there's no setting
in the EAs. Another way to remove the EAs is to open and save the .bib
file in a plain text editor.

Still it's very strange Kyle cannot manually resize the column. What
version of BD and OS are you using?

Re: autosized column

Christiaan Hofman

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Correction: the EAs only save the column widths for the columns that are visible at the time of saving (either at Save or at Close).

Re: autosized column

Adam R. Maxwell

On Sep 21, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> Actually, it's saved in both cases. To reset, you should remove
> both, as the one in the prefs are used as a default when there's no
> setting in the EAs. Another way to remove the EAs is to open and
> save the .bib file in a plain text editor.

Save As will probably do this, but Save won't (at least in TextEdit,
TextMate, and TextWrangler on 10.5).  Zipping a file from the Finder
on 10.4 will remove EA from the zipped copy.

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: autosized column

Kyle Johnson-3

>> Thanks Christiaan,
>>
>> That does work with the other columns (I've tested). But the "search
>> relevance" column seems to resist manual resizing.
>>

> Really? I've got no problem resizing this column, and there's nothing
> in the code that treats this column specially for resizing in any way.

If resizing manually means dragging the bar that separates the "first
author"  column from the "search relevance" column, then I don't think
this is working for me. It did when the "search relevance" column was
not automatically resizing, but in its current state, I don't appear
to be able to make the "search relevance" column get smaller. (It's
hard to tell, really, since the column stretches to an astronomical
width in this mode. I've spent a two or three minutes dragging the
dividing bar all the way to the left of the window, and then bringing
it back into view with the horizontal scroll slider, and then
repeating the process, and I can't detect any net gain.)

I'm using BibDesk 1.3.18 (1202), and it's running on a powerpc under
10.5.5.

I'll investigate disabling the relevant plist.

Thanks again for your (speedy) help.

Kyle

>> Is there a plist (or other) file I can delete to restore my BibDesk
>> its original state?
>>
>> Kyle
>>

> It's saved in the preferences, ~/Library/Preferences/
> edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist
>
> Christiaan
>

>> On Sep 21, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>>
>>> column autosizing is a one-time action. It does not mean that the
>>> column will always automatically resize. However, the width of the
>>> column sticks. So just resize the column manually, and it should
>>> stick.
>>>
>>> Christiaan

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: autosized column

Christiaan Hofman

On 22 Sep 2008, at 2:33 PM, Kyle Johnson wrote:

>>> Thanks Christiaan,
>>>
>>> That does work with the other columns (I've tested). But the "search
>>> relevance" column seems to resist manual resizing.
>>>

>> Really? I've got no problem resizing this column, and there's nothing
>> in the code that treats this column specially for resizing in any
>> way.
>>

> If resizing manually means dragging the bar that separates the "first
> author"  column from the "search relevance" column, then I don't think
> this is working for me. It did when the "search relevance" column was
> not automatically resizing, but in its current state, I don't appear
> to be able to make the "search relevance" column get smaller. (It's
> hard to tell, really, since the column stretches to an astronomical
> width in this mode. I've spent a two or three minutes dragging the
> dividing bar all the way to the left of the window, and then bringing
> it back into view with the horizontal scroll slider, and then
> repeating the process, and I can't detect any net gain.)

Are you saying you are not able to see it moving (even a bit), or that
you don't seem to see the full width getting really smaller (because
it's hard to see the difference between HUGE and HUGE+epsilon)? If the
latter, than in fact you CAN resize, and you just didn't try hard
enough.

The way I made this work is to drag all the way to the left , and than
wait a while. After a wait it starts to continually resize, and after
some time of doing that it gets back to the normal size.

Or just download the last nightly at <http://bibdesk.demokratia.org/
beta> and use Autosize Column, because it now gives a more sensible
default size.

Christiaan

> I'm using BibDesk 1.3.18 (1202), and it's running on a powerpc under
> 10.5.5.
>
> I'll investigate disabling the relevant plist.
>
> Thanks again for your (speedy) help.
>
> Kyle
>

>>> Is there a plist (or other) file I can delete to restore my BibDesk
>>> its original state?
>>>
>>> Kyle
>>>

>> It's saved in the preferences, ~/Library/Preferences/
>> edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist
>>
>> Christiaan

Re: autosized column

Adam R. Maxwell

On Sep 22, 2008, at 5:44 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> Or just download the last nightly at <http://bibdesk.demokratia.org/
> beta> and use Autosize Column, because it now gives a more sensible
> default size.

Out of curiosity, what did you do to the level indicator cell?  That
looks like something that's begging for a comment in the code,
especially taken with the commit comment (100 pts doesn't seem like an
insane size to me).

On 22 Sep 2008, at 4:39 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2008, at 5:44 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>
>> Or just download the last nightly at <http://bibdesk.demokratia.org/
>> beta> and use Autosize Column, because it now gives a more sensible
>> default size.
>
> Out of curiosity, what did you do to the level indicator cell?  That
> looks like something that's begging for a comment in the code,
> especially taken with the commit comment (100 pts doesn't seem like
> an insane size to me).

Just override cellSize, to return something with a maximum width of
100. NSLevelIndicatorCell returns {40000, 12}, which is rather big.

I'll add a comment.

Re: autosized column

Adam R. Maxwell

On Sep 22, 2008, at 7:53 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> On 22 Sep 2008, at 4:39 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>

>> On Sep 22, 2008, at 5:44 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>>
>>> Or just download the last nightly at <http://bibdesk.demokratia.org/
>>> beta> and use Autosize Column, because it now gives a more sensible
>>> default size.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, what did you do to the level indicator cell?  That
>> looks like something that's begging for a comment in the code,
>> especially taken with the commit comment (100 pts doesn't seem like
>> an insane size to me).
>
> Just override cellSize, to return something with a maximum width of
> 100. NSLevelIndicatorCell returns {40000, 12}, which is rather big.
It seems like a bit of an implementation detail if cellSize is used to
determine column width.  IIRC Apple started using cellSize for stuff
like the expansion tooltips in 10.5, so it could start doing odd
things in future.  Does NSLevelIndicatorCell also return 40000, 12
when the cell is in a view?

> I'll add a comment.

Cool, thanks.

On 22 Sep 2008, at 5:05 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2008, at 7:53 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

>>> Out of curiosity, what did you do to the level indicator cell?  That
>>> looks like something that's begging for a comment in the code,
>>> especially taken with the commit comment (100 pts doesn't seem like
>>> an insane size to me).
>>
>> Just override cellSize, to return something with a maximum width of
>> 100. NSLevelIndicatorCell returns {40000, 12}, which is rather big.
>
> It seems like a bit of an implementation detail if cellSize is used
> to determine column width.

I disagree, it's supposed to give the size the cell requires if it
isn't constraint ("Returns the minimum size needed to display the
receiver.")

> IIRC Apple started using cellSize for stuff like the expansion
> tooltips in 10.5, so it could start doing odd things in future.

I'd rather say that this would make it more reliable. If they're
really using it, then it's supposed to give some relevant size.

> Does NSLevelIndicatorCell also return 40000, 12 when the cell is in
> a view?

Sure, the cellSize method is independent of the view, it does not know
about it.

Christiaan

>> I'll add a comment.
>
> Cool,
> thanks
> .-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> challenge
> great prizes
> the world
> http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/_______________________________________________

Re: autosized column

Adam R. Maxwell

On Monday, September 22, 2008, at 08:16AM, "Christiaan Hofman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 22 Sep 2008, at 5:05 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>>> Just override cellSize, to return something with a maximum width of
>>> 100. NSLevelIndicatorCell returns {40000, 12}, which is rather big.
>>
>> It seems like a bit of an implementation detail if cellSize is used
>> to determine column width.
>
>I disagree, it's supposed to give the size the cell requires if it
>isn't constraint ("Returns the minimum size needed to display the
>receiver.")

But there is no minimum size required to display it, so why not return NSZeroSize, which is just as meaningful as any other value?  Anything calling cellSize should be prepared to deal with large sizes, since that same documentation says that it returns 10000,10000 for non image or text cells.  Any autosizing of table columns should be constrained by the max/min width of the column, and sizing heuristics are out of place in the cell. However, that's just my opinion...apologies to the list for pushing this off-topic.

Re: autosized column

Christiaan Hofman

On 22 Sep 2008, at 6:57 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Monday, September 22, 2008, at 08:16AM, "Christiaan Hofman" <[hidden email]
> > wrote:

>>> It seems like a bit of an implementation detail if cellSize is used
>>> to determine column width.
>>
>> I disagree, it's supposed to give the size the cell requires if it
>> isn't constraint ("Returns the minimum size needed to display the
>> receiver.")
>
> But there is no minimum size required to display it, so why not
> return NSZeroSize, which is just as meaningful as any other value?
> Anything calling cellSize should be prepared to deal with large
> sizes, since that same documentation says that it returns
> 10000,10000 for non image or text cells.  Any autosizing of table
> columns should be constrained by the max/min width of the column,
> and sizing heuristics are out of place in the cell. However, that's
> just my opinion...apologies to the list for pushing this off-topic.

That's why I now set the max width of the column (the min width was
already set to 16).