Quantcast

bibtex export

Robert Fenwick
Hi,

I am new to the list and wanted to used bibdesk to keep my references
in order. I am having the problem that I can not  work out how to
strip the doi from the files. natbib complains if these fields are
present:

! Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text>
                $
l.115 ...rnals/doilookup?in_doi=10.1021/ja9826791}

I don't care about these fields and think that the export function
should get rid of them.

how does this program work to do this type of operation? Also in the help says :

The "Convert File and URL Fields" item of the "Database" menu allows
you to see which files could not be found, and to clear out the old
file and URL fields such

I can not find this?

An alternative was to try the export method and specify only export
standard bibtex fields, this also leaves the doi and url fields in
tack. Why, I know of no Journal that wants either of these fields.

Cheers,

Robert

Re: bibtex export

Christiaan Hofman

On 22 Aug 2008, at 12:37 PM, Robert Fenwick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to the list and wanted to used bibdesk to keep my references
> in order. I am having the problem that I can not  work out how to
> strip the doi from the files. natbib complains if these fields are
> present:
>
> ! Missing $ inserted.
> <inserted text>
>                $
> l.115 ...rnals/doilookup?in_doi=10.1021/ja9826791}
>
> I don't care about these fields and think that the export function
> should get rid of them.

But lots of users do care, so dropping them by default is not an option.

> how does this program work to do this type of operation?

It depends entirely on what operation you're talking about.

> Also in the help says :
>
> The "Convert File and URL Fields" item of the "Database" menu allows
> you to see which files could not be found, and to clear out the old
> file and URL fields such
>
> I can not find this?

You cannot find what? The menu item is there, 3rd item in the Database
menu.

BTW, this item is meant for converting (old style) linked file and URL
fields to the (new) linked files you may see in the side pane.

> An alternative was to try the export method and specify only export
> standard bibtex fields, this also leaves the doi and url fields in
> tack. Why, I know of no Journal that wants either of these fields.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Robert

If you export "minimal BibTeX", it will only include required and
optional fields. What these are can be seen and changed in the Default
Fields preferences (Custom BibTeX Types and Fields). The URL and DOI
fields are not included there for most types, unless you've added it
yourself. If this is what you mean with "only export standard bibtex
fields", than you must bve doing something wrong, because it works for
me.