citations management needed

M. Geiger
Hi folks!

I am working om my doctoral thesis. It's a philosophical work and I am
in desperate need for a citations management:

Little snipplets of text, linked to their publications of origin, page
numbers and keywords added.
One should be able to search them and group them automatically and
manually - just as one can do it right now with the publications in
BibDesk.
There should be a possibility to dump all the snipplets of a group and
to list all the publications of the snipplets of that group.

That's all. It seems simple straight forward programming to me, but I
can't do it: I'm no programmer.

This functionality added to BibDesk would be of *enormous* help to my
work.

Or is there any addon to achive such things in BibDesk?

Greetings and thanks,

M. Geiger

Re: citations management needed

Christiaan Hofman

On 30 Sep 2008, at 2:21 AM, M. Geiger wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I am working om my doctoral thesis. It's a philosophical work and I am
> in desperate need for a citations management:
>
> Little snipplets of text, linked to their publications of origin, page
> numbers and keywords added.
> One should be able to search them and group them automatically and
> manually - just as one can do it right now with the publications in
> BibDesk.
> There should be a possibility to dump all the snipplets of a group and
> to list all the publications of the snipplets of that group.
>
> That's all. It seems simple straight forward programming to me, but I
> can't do it: I'm no programmer.
>
> This functionality added to BibDesk would be of *enormous* help to my
> work.
>

> Or is there any addon to achive such things in BibDesk?
>
> Greetings and thanks,
>
> M. Geiger

You cannot attach multiple notes to publications. (There once was a
BD2 attempt that would have similar functionality, but it never came
off the ground.) Here are a few options you may try with BibDesk:

- Put the notes in the Annote field
- Add them as new fields for the snippets (something like Snippet-1,
Snippet-2, ...)
- Attach them as text files to the publications (you can search on
File Content).

Re: citations management needed

Mark Eli Kalderon
It is not a citation manager, but Clips looks like it might fit into a
workflow that accomplishes what you want:

http://conceitedsoftware.com/products/clips

On Sep 30, 2008, at 1:21 AM, M. Geiger wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I am working om my doctoral thesis. It's a philosophical work and I am
> in desperate need for a citations management:
>
> Little snipplets of text, linked to their publications of origin, page
> numbers and keywords added.
> One should be able to search them and group them automatically and
> manually - just as one can do it right now with the publications in
> BibDesk.
> There should be a possibility to dump all the snipplets of a group and
> to list all the publications of the snipplets of that group.
>
> That's all. It seems simple straight forward programming to me, but I
> can't do it: I'm no programmer.
>
> This functionality added to BibDesk would be of *enormous* help to my
> work.
>

> Or is there any addon to achive such things in BibDesk?
>
> Greetings and thanks,
>
> M. Geiger

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: citations management needed

Ken Mankoff
I suggest you look into Zotero. It allows clips and notes. You can
import your BibDesk library to start with so the two are synched, and
then there is a small 3rd party plugin to allow Zotero -> BibDesk sync
in realtime.

   -k.