Quantcast

crash during adding new publication from File...

12

crash during adding new publication from File...

Ryohei SETO
Hi,

Bibdesk crashes when I add new item from a downloaded bib file from a journal web site.
I found these bib files includes an empty item like below:

@article{foo,
   author = “Bar, Foo",
  eid = ,
}

I've joined this mailing list right now, so this might be know issue. If so, neglect this.

Thanks,
Ryohei Seto

Re: crash during adding new publication from File...

Christiaan Hofman

On Dec 9, 2013, at 22:35, Ryohei SETO wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Bibdesk crashes when I add new item from a downloaded bib file from a journal web site.
> I found these bib files includes an empty item like below:
>
> @article{foo,
>   author = “Bar, Foo",
>  eid = ,
> }
>
> I've joined this mailing list right now, so this might be know issue. If so, neglect this.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryohei Seto

Are you sure it crashed? What does the crash report say? This kind of faulty bibtex should just give a warning, which it does for me.

Re: crash during adding new publication from File...

Ryohei SETO
Thanks Christiaan,

In my current environment, it crashes always by that.
Here is the Diagnostic Reports.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9745885/BibDesk_2013-12-09-165629_seto-macbookpro.crash

Ryohei

Dec 9, 2013 16:54、Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> のメール:

On Dec 9, 2013, at 23:01, Ryohei SETO wrote:

> Thanks Christiaan,
>
> In my current environment, it crashes always by that.
> Here is the Diagnostic Reports.
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9745885/BibDesk_2013-12-09-165629_seto-macbookpro.crash
>
> Ryohei

Weird one. There does not seem to be anything specific to the problem in that crash report. Some generic crash when closing a file read.

Christiaan

> Dec 9, 2013 16:54、Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> のメール:
>

>> On Dec 9, 2013, at 22:35, Ryohei SETO wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Bibdesk crashes when I add new item from a downloaded bib file from a journal web site.
>>> I found these bib files includes an empty item like below:
>>>
>>> @article{foo,
>>> author = “Bar, Foo",
>>> eid = ,
>>> }
>>>
>>> I've joined this mailing list right now, so this might be know issue. If so, neglect this.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ryohei Seto
>>>

>> Are you sure it crashed? What does the crash report say? This kind of faulty bibtex should just give a warning, which it does for me.
>>
>> Christiaan

Re: crash during adding new publication from File...

Ryohei SETO
If I drag&drop the bib file, I got a warning (and created new item wrongly).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9745885/foo.bib
The crash occurs when I try to import with shift-command-l (my daily routine).
I have no further idea...

Ryohei

Dec 9, 2013 17:15、Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> のメール:

On Dec 9, 2013, at 23:27, Ryohei SETO wrote:

> If I drag&drop the bib file, I got a warning (and created new item wrongly).
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9745885/foo.bib
> The crash occurs when I try to import with shift-command-l (my daily routine).
> I have no further idea...
>
> Ryohei

shift-command-I? What's that? Doesn't sound like anything from us.

Christiaan

> Dec 9, 2013 17:15、Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> のメール:
>

>> On Dec 9, 2013, at 23:01, Ryohei SETO wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Christiaan,
>>>
>>> In my current environment, it crashes always by that.
>>> Here is the Diagnostic Reports.
>>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9745885/BibDesk_2013-12-09-165629_seto-macbookpro.crash
>>>
>>> Ryohei
>>>

>> Weird one. There does not seem to be anything specific to the problem in that crash report. Some generic crash when closing a file read.
>>
>> Christiaan
>>
>>> Dec 9, 2013 16:54、Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> のメール:

Re: crash during adding new publication from File...

Ryohei SETO
This is the shortcut for “New Publications from File…”. (I think I did not add it by myself.)

Dec 9, 2013 18:23、Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> のメール:

[...]

Adam R. Maxwell
On Dec 09, 2013, at 02:15 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Dec 9, 2013, at 23:01, Ryohei SETO wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9745885/BibDesk_2013-12-09-165629_seto-macbookpro.crash

Ryohei

Weird one. There does not seem to be anything specific to the problem in that crash report. Some generic crash when closing a file read.

I'd never seen EXC_GUARD before, and the fade2dead address looked interesting. With a bit of searching, it turns out this is a close on a guarded file descriptor (Greg Parker is an Apple engineer):

https://twitter.com/gparker/status/395678654375546881

There should be an +[NSPipe pipe] somewhere to create that autoreleased NSConcretePipe, but I don't recall anything in the cmd-shift-L code path that would do it.

Adam

On Dec 10, 2013, at 0:54, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

On Dec 09, 2013, at 02:15 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Dec 9, 2013, at 23:01, Ryohei SETO wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9745885/BibDesk_2013-12-09-165629_seto-macbookpro.crash

Ryohei

Weird one. There does not seem to be anything specific to the problem in that crash report. Some generic crash when closing a file read.

I'd never seen EXC_GUARD before, and the fade2dead address looked interesting. With a bit of searching, it turns out this is a close on a guarded file descriptor (Greg Parker is an Apple engineer):

https://twitter.com/gparker/status/395678654375546881

There should be an +[NSPipe pipe] somewhere to create that autoreleased NSConcretePipe, but I don't recall anything in the cmd-shift-L code path that would do it.

Adam

Sounds more like something in the system being messed up. We only open the file indirectly by reading a string from it. And the parsing is the same as when you drop the file or paste the bibtex, and that all gives just the warning. Also given the tweets, it really seems more like a system bug. Otherwise something completely unrelated that just pops up here for some vague reason. It really does not look like anything related to our code related to anything of this.

Re: crash during adding new publication from File...

Ryohei SETO
I restarted my computer, and try it again. Then, this problem seems to disappear!
(Before rebooting, I checked with newly created account, then it crashed in the same way).

Anyway, thank you for considering, and sorry for having reported before such checks.

Best regards,
Ryohei SETO

Dec 9, 2013 19:09、Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> のメール:

On Dec 09, 2013, at 04:09 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't rule out an OS bug, but does this run through the NSPipe code that I had in NSData category? Looks like you moved it to the parser, but it's an obvious NSPipe call when you try and parse bibtex data that's not a file.

adam

On Dec 10, 2013, at 1:36, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

[...]

You're right, I forgot about that one. I don't see why that would crash now when it has worked all the time.

Re: crash during adding new publication from File...

Ryohei SETO
Hi,

The crash happened again due to importing wrong bib file (attached).
Now I confirmed with the other machine.
As I reported, rebooting stops this behavior (sometime, not always).
But after importing bibfiles several times, it may occur again.

The exported bibfile from Journal of Rheology includes this wrong line "eid = ,”.
I often download from this journal’s web site. Each time I have to remove the line by hand.

By the way, some journal uses “eid” instead of “pages”.
So far, this field name is not included in BibDesk.
I think it is better to add.

Best,
Ryohei Seto

On Dec 9, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

BibDesk_2013-12-10-232926_MacBookSana.crash (60K) Download Attachment
foo.bib (56 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: crash during adding new publication from File...

Fischlin  Andreas
Dear Ryohei,

On 11/12/2013, at 05:41 , Ryohei SETO wrote:

Hi,

The crash happened again due to importing wrong bib file (attached).
Now I confirmed with the other machine.
As I reported, rebooting stops this behavior (sometime, not always).
But after importing bibfiles several times, it may occur again.

There should be no crash and on my machine BD never crashes with this bib file. What happens is of course an error, since the bib file is syntactically wrong and needs to be fixed. Once fixed the import/opening works fine. BTW, this has nothing to do with the presence of the field 'eid'.

The exported bibfile from Journal of Rheology includes this wrong line "eid = ,”.
I often download from this journal’s web site. Each time I have to remove the line by hand.

There is no other way unless you inform that journal's webmaster that they are unable to properly export a citation.

By the way, some journal uses “eid” instead of “pages”.
So far, this field name is not included in BibDesk.

It will never be included since AFAIK it does not belong to the BibTeX definition. This has BTW nothing to do with BibDesk and it makes no sense to try to fix mistakes from publishers who ignore well known standards such as BibTeX with another mistake in a software such as BibDesk.

Moreover, as I pointed out above, the import problem has nothing to do with the presence of this extra field 'eid'. Once syntactically correct, even the extra field 'eid' is imported and forms part of the record.

Regards,
Andreas

I think it is better to add.

Best,
Ryohei Seto

On Dec 09, 2013, at 02:15 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

<BibDesk_2013-12-10-232926_MacBookSana.crash><foo.bib>

On Dec 11, 2013, at 5:41, Ryohei SETO wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The crash happened again due to importing wrong bib file (attached).
> Now I confirmed with the other machine.
> As I reported, rebooting stops this behavior (sometime, not always).
> But after importing bibfiles several times, it may occur again.
>
> The exported bibfile from Journal of Rheology includes this wrong line "eid = ,”.
> I often download from this journal’s web site. Each time I have to remove the line by hand.
>
> By the way, some journal uses “eid” instead of “pages”.
> So far, this field name is not included in BibDesk.
> I think it is better to add.
>
> Best,
> Ryohei Seto
>
> <BibDesk_2013-12-10-232926_MacBookSana.crash>
> <foo.bib>

BibDesk does add any field it gets when reading (valid) bibtex. It does not leave anything out. So if you don't get it, it was not included in any (valid) bibtex.

I understand you see crashes, but it is hard to fix it as we don't see it. And I still have no clue how this could lead to a crash.

Re: crash during adding new publication from File...

Ryohei SETO
Hi,

- About ‘eid’

Yes, I understand this point. I don’t know exact rule of bibtex. I just noticed some journals bibtex data include the field of `eid’ . Assuming this is standard information, I suggested to consider adding. Anyway, this is minor thing.

- About reproduction of the crashes.

For last few days, I’ve imported many downloaded bibfiles. During these works, I tried to import the invalid bibtex file, and I saw the crashes. After rebooting the machine, BibDesk was not crashed, as I reported. So, I returned my work and continued to import several valid bibtex files. After several times of importing operations, it started to happen again. Once getting this state, it is 100% reproducible.
So, I may suggest that you import several valid/invalid bibtex file from “New Publications from File…” in advance. Then, I expect you’ll see BibDesk crashes by this imperfect bibtex file. (I’m using OSX 10.9. Its memory handling is not good?)
@article{foo,
   author = "Bar, Foo",
   title =
}

Best,
Ryohei

On Dec 11, 2013, at 15:57, Ryohei SETO wrote:

> Hi,
>
> - About ‘eid’
>
> Yes, I understand this point. I don’t know exact rule of bibtex. I just noticed some journals bibtex data include the field of `eid’ . Assuming this is standard information, I suggested to consider adding. Anyway, this is minor thing.

I don't think you get the point. Add what to what? When the field is there, it's there in bibdesk. And no, it's not standard: no standard bibtex type has this field.

Christiaan

> - About reproduction of the crashes.
>
> For last few days, I’ve imported many downloaded bibfiles. During these works, I tried to import the invalid bibtex file, and I saw the crashes. After rebooting the machine, BibDesk was not crashed, as I reported. So, I returned my work and continued to import several valid bibtex files. After several times of importing operations, it started to happen again. Once getting this state, it is 100% reproducible.
> So, I may suggest that you import several valid/invalid bibtex file from “New Publications from File…” in advance. Then, I expect you’ll see BibDesk crashes by this imperfect bibtex file. (I’m using OSX 10.9. Its memory handling is not good?)
> @article{foo,
>   author = "Bar, Foo",
>   title =
> }
>
> Best,
> Ryohei

Re: crash during adding new publication from File...

Ryohei SETO
Hi,

I don't think you get the point. Add what to what? When the field is there, it's there in bibdesk. And no, it's not standard: no standard bibtex type has this field.

I meant: ‘eid’ is not included in the default list. So, when I try to add Column to see, ‘eid’ is not in the list to choose or add.

If it is not standard, I don’t care this at all… It’s fine as it is.

I asked someone via twitter to confirm this behavior, and I got crash report.

The other information:
- my main bibfile includes 948 items. File size is 1.4MB. I don’t know this file size is essential or not.
- I’m currently using OSX in Japanese language environment.
- …

Best,
Ryohei

Re: crash during adding new publication from File...

Christiaan Hofman

On Dec 11, 2013, at 16:30, Ryohei SETO wrote:

Hi,

I don't think you get the point. Add what to what? When the field is there, it's there in bibdesk. And no, it's not standard: no standard bibtex type has this field.

I meant: ‘eid’ is not included in the default list. So, when I try to add Column to see, ‘eid’ is not in the list to choose or add.
<PastedGraphic-1.png>

If it is not standard, I don’t care this at all… It’s fine as it is.

It's not in the default list as it is not a default field. If you want to customize the default fields you can do so in your preferences (Advanced section of the Fields preferences).

I asked someone via twitter to confirm this behavior, and I got crash report.

The other information:
- my main bibfile includes 948 items. File size is 1.4MB. I don’t know this file size is essential or not.
- I’m currently using OSX in Japanese language environment.
- …

Best,
Ryohei

It does seem to be related to some regression in 10.9, as it never has occurred before. The size of your database file is almost certainly irrelevant.

12