Quantcast

double hyphen autoreplace in Abstract field in BibDesk v1.6.5

double hyphen autoreplace in Abstract field in BibDesk v1.6.5

nathan.artist
I encountered a problem in BibDesk v1.6.5, and I found a solution to the
problem that I am sharing here in case anyone else encounters this problem.

I am using Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks. After I upgraded to BibDesk v1.6.5, I
encountered a problem that I did not have in BibDesk v1.6.4: After
upgrading, when I typed a space and a double hyphen (" --") into the
Abstract field of the Editor window in BibDesk, the double hyphen was
automatically replaced by an em dash (" —"). This was a problem for me
because I use LaTeX, and in LaTeX an em dash is represented by three
hyphens, not two hyphens. So BibDesk would save the em dash as three
hyphens, not two hyphens as I wanted! Therefore this autoreplace behavior
was highly undesirable for me.

The solution I found was to go to the Keyboard preference pane in System
Preferences, select the Text pane, and uncheck "Use smart quotes and
dashes". Of course, this change applies in all applications.

It is very interesting that BibDesk v1.6.4 did not respect the system-wide
"Use smart quotes and dashes" preference (at least in Mavericks) but BibDesk
v1.6.5 does. The change is probably an improvement, but one needs to know
how to turn it off if desired, as I described above.

Re: double hyphen autoreplace in Abstract field in BibDesk v1.6.5

Christiaan Hofman

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 21:01, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I encountered a problem in BibDesk v1.6.5, and I found a solution to the
> problem that I am sharing here in case anyone else encounters this problem.
>
> I am using Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks. After I upgraded to BibDesk v1.6.5, I
> encountered a problem that I did not have in BibDesk v1.6.4: After
> upgrading, when I typed a space and a double hyphen (" --") into the
> Abstract field of the Editor window in BibDesk, the double hyphen was
> automatically replaced by an em dash (" —"). This was a problem for me
> because I use LaTeX, and in LaTeX an em dash is represented by three
> hyphens, not two hyphens. So BibDesk would save the em dash as three
> hyphens, not two hyphens as I wanted! Therefore this autoreplace behavior
> was highly undesirable for me.
>
> The solution I found was to go to the Keyboard preference pane in System
> Preferences, select the Text pane, and uncheck "Use smart quotes and
> dashes". Of course, this change applies in all applications.
>
> It is very interesting that BibDesk v1.6.4 did not respect the system-wide
> "Use smart quotes and dashes" preference (at least in Mavericks) but BibDesk
> v1.6.5 does. The change is probably an improvement, but one needs to know
> how to turn it off if desired, as I described above.

Are you sure this was not the case in 1.6.4, not just that you happened to use that on an older OS system? Because I can assure you that BibDesk was not change in any way in handling dashes.

Re: double hyphen autoreplace in Abstract field in BibDesk v1.6.5

nathan.artist
Christiaan asked: "Are you sure this was not the case in 1.6.4, not just
that you happened to use that on an older OS system? Because I can assure
you that BibDesk was not changed in any way in handling dashes."

I am 100% certain. I upgraded to BibDesk v1.6.5 a few days ago (when I
installed MacTeX-2016) and continued using Mavericks just as I had before.
When I recognized the hyphen problem I switched back and forth several times
between v1.6.4 and v1.6.5 editing the same .bib file. When I was typing in
the Abstract field of the Editor window, BibDesk v1.6.4 ignored the system
"Use smart quotes and dashes" preference; it did not replace straight quotes
and hyphens with curly quotes and dashes. BibDesk v1.6.5 does the
replacement, therefore I have now unchecked "Use smart quotes and dashes" in
System Preferences to get the behavior I was accustomed to with v1.6.4.

Re: double hyphen autoreplace in Abstract field in BibDesk v1.6.5

Maxwell, Adam R-2

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 16:42, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> BibDesk v1.6.5 does the
> replacement, therefore I have now unchecked "Use smart quotes and dashes" in
> System Preferences to get the behavior I was accustomed to with v1.6.4.

FWIW, if it was compiled/linked with a newer version of Xcode than previous releases, that might have enabled some new “features" by default. They can probably be unchecked in the nib inspector, but I haven’t looked.

-- adam

On Jun 18, 2016, at 5:41, Maxwell, Adam R <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 17, 2016, at 16:42, [hidden email] wrote:

BibDesk v1.6.5 does the
replacement, therefore I have now unchecked "Use smart quotes and dashes" in
System Preferences to get the behavior I was accustomed to with v1.6.4.

FWIW, if it was compiled/linked with a newer version of Xcode than previous releases, that might have enabled some new “features" by default. They can probably be unchecked in the nib inspector, but I haven’t looked.

— adam

The nib inspector shows the exact same options for both cases. So it can only be that somehow different Xcode versions create different nibs from the same data.