dragging ref into editor window

Antonio Fortin
Hi all,

Until today, I’ve been able drag BibTeX references directly from Google Scholar to the Editor window, which is then populated with the citation info. This is the quickest way I’ve found, to fill publications with insufficient or no metadata. However, it doesn’t work any more. Any idea what might have changed, or if this feature has been deprecated?

Thanks.

Best,
Antonio

Re: dragging ref into editor window

Christiaan Hofman

On Apr 13, 2015, at 14:35, Antonio Fortin wrote:

Hi all,

Until today, I’ve been able drag BibTeX references directly from Google Scholar to the Editor window, which is then populated with the citation info. This is the quickest way I’ve found, to fill publications with insufficient or no metadata. However, it doesn’t work any more. Any idea what might have changed, or if this feature has been deprecated?

Thanks.

Best,
Antonio

We haven't changed anything. Make sure you drag on some empty area, and not on a text field or something.

If anything changed, I guess it must be the data. Make sure it's valid. For instance, try to just drop it on the main table to see if it parses correctly.

Re: dragging ref into editor window

Antonio Fortin
> On 13 Apr 2015, at 15:25, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2015, at 14:35, Antonio Fortin wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Until today, I’ve been able drag BibTeX references directly from Google Scholar to the Editor window, which is then populated with the citation info. This is the quickest way I’ve found, to fill publications with insufficient or no metadata. However, it doesn’t work any more. Any idea what might have changed, or if this feature has been deprecated?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Best,
>> Antonio
>
> We haven't changed anything. Make sure you drag on some empty area, and not on a text field or something.
>
> If anything changed, I guess it must be the data. Make sure it's valid. For instance, try to just drop it on the main table to see if it parses correctly.

The citations are imported if I drop them into the main library in the sidebar but not if I drop them onto the Editor. I’ve uploaded a video showing that I can also drop the text into a third-party editor: http://youtu.be/G8ADBqhvExk

I updated to OS X 10.10.3 yesterday - might that have something to do with it?

On Apr 13, 2015, at 23:21, Antonio Fortin wrote:

[...]

I guess it must be a bug in 10.10.3 then, as that's the only thing that changed.

Re: dragging ref into editor window

Antonio Fortin

Is anyone else who has updated to OS X 10.3.3 having the problem below? It’s making it a real pain to add citation info to publications.

Christiaan: is there any way to populate the Editor window with the clipboard contents?

Many thanks.

Best,
Antonio

> On 13 Apr 2015, at 14:21, Antonio Fortin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 13 Apr 2015, at 15:25, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Apr 13, 2015, at 14:35, Antonio Fortin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Until today, I’ve been able drag BibTeX references directly from Google Scholar to the Editor window, which is then populated with the citation info. This is the quickest way I’ve found, to fill publications with insufficient or no metadata. However, it doesn’t work any more. Any idea what might have changed, or if this feature has been deprecated?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Antonio
>>
>> We haven't changed anything. Make sure you drag on some empty area, and not on a text field or something.
>>
>> If anything changed, I guess it must be the data. Make sure it's valid. For instance, try to just drop it on the main table to see if it parses correctly.
>
> The citations are imported if I drop them into the main library in the sidebar but not if I drop them onto the Editor. I’ve uploaded a video showing that I can also drop the text into a third-party editor: http://youtu.be/G8ADBqhvExk
>
> I updated to OS X 10.10.3 yesterday - might that have something to do with it?
>
> Best,
> Antonio

Re: dragging ref into editor window

Antonio Fortin
Sorry, I meant OS X 10.10.3 :)

Best,
Antonio

Sent from a mobile - apologies for typos and brevity.

Hi,

On May 16, 2015, at 18:02, Antonio Fortin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is anyone else who has updated to OS X 10.3.3 having the problem below? It’s making it a real pain to add citation info to publications.
>
> Christiaan: is there any way to populate the Editor window with the clipboard contents?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Best,
> Antonio

Well, the way you describe by dropping on the window. This is implemented exactly as it is described in the documentation, so if that does not work, it must be a system bug in 10.10.3. The only thing to do then is to wait for Apple to fix this.

Christiaan

>> On 13 Apr 2015, at 14:21, Antonio Fortin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> We haven't changed anything. Make sure you drag on some empty area, and not on a text field or something.
>>>
>>> If anything changed, I guess it must be the data. Make sure it's valid. For instance, try to just drop it on the main table to see if it parses correctly.
>>
>> The citations are imported if I drop them into the main library in the sidebar but not if I drop them onto the Editor. I’ve uploaded a video showing that I can also drop the text into a third-party editor: http://youtu.be/G8ADBqhvExk
>>
>> I updated to OS X 10.10.3 yesterday - might that have something to do with it?
>>
>> Best,
>> Antonio

Re: dragging ref into editor window

Antonio Fortin
> On 16 May 2015, at 14:01, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On May 16, 2015, at 18:02, Antonio Fortin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is anyone else who has updated to OS X 10.3.3 having the problem below? It’s making it a real pain to add citation info to publications.
>>
>> Christiaan: is there any way to populate the Editor window with the clipboard contents?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Best,
>> Antonio
>>

> Well, the way you describe by dropping on the window. This is implemented exactly as it is described in the documentation, so if that does not work, it must be a system bug in 10.10.3. The only thing to do then is to wait for Apple to fix this.

It’s probably a system bug, as you say, but it would be useful to know if I’m the only one experiencing the problem.

In any case, I’ve found a workaround. I can drag a citation onto the Editor window, by dropping it onto the title bar (but nowhere else). This wasn’t possible before the latest version of BibDesk.

On May 20, 2015, at 18:57, Antonio Fortin wrote:

>> On 16 May 2015, at 14:01, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On May 16, 2015, at 18:02, Antonio Fortin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is anyone else who has updated to OS X 10.3.3 having the problem below? It’s making it a real pain to add citation info to publications.
>>>
>>> Christiaan: is there any way to populate the Editor window with the clipboard contents?
>>>
>>> Many thanks.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Antonio
>>>

>> Well, the way you describe by dropping on the window. This is implemented exactly as it is described in the documentation, so if that does not work, it must be a system bug in 10.10.3. The only thing to do then is to wait for Apple to fix this.
>
> It’s probably a system bug, as you say, but it would be useful to know if I’m the only one experiencing the problem.
>
> In any case, I’ve found a workaround. I can drag a citation onto the Editor window, by dropping it onto the title bar (but nowhere else). This wasn’t possible before the latest version of BibDesk.
>
> Best,
> Antonio

I've made it easier to drop on the window in tomorrow's nightly build.

Christiaan

Re: dragging ref into editor window

Antonio Fortin
> On 20 May 2015, at 17:23, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On May 20, 2015, at 18:57, Antonio Fortin wrote:

>>> Well, the way you describe by dropping on the window. This is implemented exactly as it is described in the documentation, so if that does not work, it must be a system bug in 10.10.3. The only thing to do then is to wait for Apple to fix this.
>>
>> It’s probably a system bug, as you say, but it would be useful to know if I’m the only one experiencing the problem.
>>
>> In any case, I’ve found a workaround. I can drag a citation onto the Editor window, by dropping it onto the title bar (but nowhere else). This wasn’t possible before the latest version of BibDesk.
>>
>> Best,
>> Antonio
>>

> I've made it easier to drop on the window in tomorrow's nightly build.
>
> Christiaan

Thanks!

Antonio

Re: dragging ref into editor window

Antonio Fortin

> On 20 May 2015, at 22:23, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On May 20, 2015, at 18:57, Antonio Fortin wrote:

>>> Well, the way you describe by dropping on the window. This is implemented exactly as it is described in the documentation, so if that does not work, it must be a system bug in 10.10.3. The only thing to do then is to wait for Apple to fix this.
>>
>> It’s probably a system bug, as you say, but it would be useful to know if I’m the only one experiencing the problem.
>>
>> In any case, I’ve found a workaround. I can drag a citation onto the Editor window, by dropping it onto the title bar (but nowhere else). This wasn’t possible before the latest version of BibDesk.
>>
>> Best,
>> Antonio
>>

> I've made it easier to drop on the window in tomorrow's nightly build.
>
> Christiaan

How is it supposed to have changed? I’m running v1.6.4 (3543), but I’m not seeing any difference in behaviour. That is, I still have to drop the text citation right onto the title bar for it to work. Trying to drop anywhere else in the window fails.

On May 26, 2015, at 12:33, Antonio Fortin wrote:

[...]

I am talking about the next release, or the current nightlies.

Re: dragging ref into editor window

Antonio Fortin

> On 26 May 2015, at 12:39, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On May 26, 2015, at 12:33, Antonio Fortin wrote:

>>> I've made it easier to drop on the window in tomorrow's nightly build.
>>>
>>> Christiaan
>>
>> How is it supposed to have changed? I’m running v1.6.4 (3543), but I’m not seeing any difference in behaviour. That is, I still have to drop the text citation right onto the title bar for it to work. Trying to drop anywhere else in the window fails.
>>
>> Antonio
>
> I am talking about the next release, or the current nightlies.
>
> Christiaan

I downloaded the latest installer I could find via the "latest nightly builds” link. Are the current nightlies somewhere else?

On May 26, 2015, at 14:31, Antonio Fortin wrote:

[...]

You're correct, that is the nightly that should have the change already.

I cannot imagine this should not work, can't you drop on the table of text fields?

On May 26, 2015, at 20:03, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

[...]

Please try tomorrow's nightly.

Re: dragging ref into editor window

Antonio Fortin

> On 26 May 2015, at 19:03, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On May 26, 2015, at 14:31, Antonio Fortin wrote:

>>> I am talking about the next release, or the current nightlies.
>>>
>>> Christiaan
>>
>> I downloaded the latest installer I could find via the "latest nightly builds” link. Are the current nightlies somewhere else?
>>
>> Antonio
>
> You're correct, that is the nightly that should have the change already.
>
> I cannot imagine this should not work, can't you drop on the table of text fields?
>
> Christiaan

No, I can only drop on the title bar. If you can’t reproduce this, then there’s probably something wrong with my system.

I can live with the way it’s working now. It’s fiddly, but not too bad.

Antonio

Re: dragging ref into editor window

Antonio Fortin
> On 26 May 2015, at 20:06, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I downloaded the latest installer I could find via the "latest nightly builds” link. Are the current nightlies somewhere else?
>>>
>>> Antonio
>>
>> You're correct, that is the nightly that should have the change already.
>>
>> I cannot imagine this should not work, can't you drop on the table of text fields?
>>
>> Christiaan
>
> Please try tomorrow's nightly.
>
> Christiaan

It’s working now. Thanks!