Quantcast

dropbox-URL in HTML output

Daniele Pontillo-2
Hello again to everyone.
I’ll try to make myself understood
My entries have a filed named Dropbox-URL that will NOT appear in my HTML output, maybe because I should edit the default item template (which is standard right now) and I don’t know how to do that.
However, if I right-click on the sidebar and fill in “choose url” with the shared linked from Dropbox, I get what I want.
I guess there are two scenarios to solve the issue:
1. edit the default item template
2. create an applescript that would search for all the shared links of my files in the dropbox folder and then add the link to the sidebar of every entry.
Thank you

Re: dropbox-URL in HTML output

Christiaan Hofman

On Nov 7, 2014, at 19:12, Daniele Pontillo wrote:

Hello again to everyone.
I’ll try to make myself understood
My entries have a filed named Dropbox-URL that will NOT appear in my HTML output, maybe because I should edit the default item template (which is standard right now) and I don’t know how to do that.
However, if I right-click on the sidebar and fill in “choose url” with the shared linked from Dropbox, I get what I want.
I guess there are two scenarios to solve the issue:
1. edit the default item template
2. create an applescript that would search for all the shared links of my files in the dropbox folder and then add the link to the sidebar of every entry.
Thank you

What is your question?

You apparently misspelled a few words, so I don;t know what you mean. And what is this Dropbox-URL? What is a "shared linked" or "shared links"? In particular, I don't know what you'd want to do in 2, I really don't think you want to add all links to all entries.

Il giorno 07/nov/2014, alle ore 23:21, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

[...]

Christiaan

Sorry
I have my entries in a specific bibliography
I have a field called Dropbox-URL, which is a remote-url type custom field
I want to fill it up with the shared link that dropbox creates for my pdf files regarding that particular entry (my pdf paper files are stored in dropbox)
I want to see that remote-url custom field ti appear in my HTML output, just as my local pdf files appear
Hope that helps

On Nov 8, 2014, at 7:51, Daniele Pontillo wrote:

[...]

<Senza titolo.jpg>

Have you tried the Database > "Convert File and URL Fields" feature? This will convert any file or URL field to a linked file or linked URL.

Il giorno 08/nov/2014, alle ore 12:18, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

[...]

Really, I guess this wouldn’t be useful for me.
I filled my remote-URL field (called Dropbox-URL) with a link generated by Dropbox but I cannot get it to appear in my HTML output
If I use the “choose URL” option in the side panel, I get what I want.

On Nov 8, 2014, at 14:47, Daniele Pontillo wrote:

[...]

And why wouldn't it be useful for you? You say you already have the URL in your custom field, and when it's in the linked URLs it appears in the HTML output. So why would transferring the custom field to the linked URLs not work for you? It does the same thing as using "choose URL".

Il giorno 08/nov/2014, alle ore 14:58, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

[...]

I apologize. Actually, it does the same thing as “choose URL”.
Now, This is one part the problem.
Is there any way to batch obtain my shared links from Dropbox for each pdf file matching my entry, fill in the field and convert the field?. I guess this is a bit off topic, though.

On Nov 8, 2014, at 15:06, Daniele Pontillo wrote:

[...]

I don't know, as I don't know how your items are related to PDFs, nor how shared links are related to PDFs.

Re: dropbox-URL in HTML output

Jan Jakob Bornheim

On 8 Nov, 2014, at 17:10, Daniele Pontillo <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Here is how I see it (mind you that I might be fundamentally mistaken somewhere).

There are two problems in trying to get the URL of a file in your Dropbox.

1) Unless the file resides in the “Public” folder, the links are not created automatically. Rather, Dropbox will only create a URL for a file when you select “Share Dropbox Link” from the context menu in Finder (or do it via their web interface). The URLs for files outside the public folder are not permanent either, which is why you can remove them via https://www.dropbox.com/links/your_links
2) The Dropbox application is not Apple scriptable.

From 1, it follows that the problem is not merely the batch retrieval of a URL for a given file, the problem is the batch creation of these URLs, unless you have already done that for every linked PDF. Their does not appear to be a way of doing that (see https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=114264).

So in summary: No, it is not possible to automatically populate the Dropbox-URL field, unless the files all reside in the Public folder.

Cheers,
Jan Jakob